• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Calling all driver shaft gurus!

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
Ok question will be about tourqe specs.

1. Hitting an R9 pretty well not many slices.
Shaft Accra S2, M4 65, Stiff. About . 5 inch short.

tourqe shown as 2.5, low mid.

2. took cobra speed zone topga hit several shafts. None that I can afford.
Seemingly best one was Tensi AV Blue 65, stiff. Tourqe 3.9

hit left a lot. I don’t trust launch monitors too much.

when I hit stock cobra yes I did hit some fat slices.

off the half dozen unaffordable shafts, the tensi was mostly left. They all were which is suspicious.
But ball speed was more consistent, 127 138 min max hit it a good dozen times.

so ok that was long winded.

question … wouldn’t a low tourqe be harder to hit straight if I’m at the lower end of swing speed? ALL of my R drivers slice big time.

I wonder if I can get results from 50 to 80 dolla shafts

OP
N

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
Hey I did learn this…
Torque which measures how much a shaft will twist in the swing

twist as in around the central axis , through the length…diameter?
Not how much it bends overall from grip downwards ?

If so that might explain a lot

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Hey I did learn this…
Torque which measures how much a shaft will twist in the swing

twist as in around the central axis , through the length…diameter?
Not how much it bends overall from grip downwards ?

If so that might explain a lot
Be careful on comparing torque numbers, there is no standard measurement so one company’s 2.5 could be another company’s 4.0.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Tim's correct in that the standards one manufacturer uses can differ greatly from another. One manufacturer's "S" flex can feel softer than another's "R" flex.
As I have stated more than once, my swing is a hybrid between Jim Furyk and Charles Barkley!!!! If I try to use a high torque shaft, the head gyrates more than Dolly Parton's boobs when she's trying to use a hula hoop!! I have a heck of a time with most "R" or "SR" graphite shafts because so many are high torque.
The best fit for a graphite shaft has lots more to do with the dynamics of your swing than just your swing speed. Smooth transition?? Wristy stroke? Few of us weekend hackers have identical swings. Hence, we each need to find the shaft that best suits us. Sometimes that search can be ongoing for eons.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Hi torque shafts (4+) twist easier and feel softer at impact and can launch higher. Low torque/stiff-tip shafts can feel harsher, twist less and can have tighter dispersion (more accurate) and a more boring trajectory. XXIO Prime drivers, for example have ultra-light (36g) shafts with insanely high (6+) torque ratings. They feel like fly fishing rods, but if you can control the tempo just right, the ball flies off the face like a cannon shot. If you're too strong, the ball goes everywhere but intended.
Shaft fitting all comes down to either a shit-ton of experiments or getting with a professional highly competent fitter (not Dick's).

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I’ve found my sweet spot with driver shafts is around 3, lower than that and I overseeing. Higher than that I feel like I can’t control the face. Torque also has some correlation to “feel”, lower torque shafts “feel” more boardy to me. It’s kinda a crap shoot and torque for me is a jumping off point when trying a shaft.

🔥 Latest posts