• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cally FT-9 vs. FT-iq

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
The Ft-9 is standard 9º loft neutral and the FT-iq Tour is 9.5º loft and neutral. See signature for shafts.

I've been (and still am) crushing my FT-iq this spring. Don't ask me why I bought the FT-9 but I did (after selling sssmokin the Nike I had just bought for no good reason).

Very simple analysis after playing a round with one on the front nine and the other on the back nine. The FT-9 is longer. Not much but longer. Both are 20 yards longer then any driver I've ever owned in my life. I'm hitting them farther (and straighter) now then I did when I was young. Measured with a GPS I'm at least 240 and most often 260 yards now (with a good swing). Once in awhile when the stars allign I will hit one 275. The FT-9 is not as consistently straight as the FT-iq. That's it. They are both super nice drivers. I'm going to have fun just switching back and forth for the heck of it. And both are getting very hard to find new.

I think I'm going to be a Callaway driver man for a long time to come.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
try it with the same shaft.

I would love to if I could find:

1) ferrules for the 910 that didn't need to be ordered from Korea
2) The F6M2 as a shaft option for Titleist. Or any Matrix, for that matter.

A friend of mine went all Titty this year. He's lost 15 yards on his drive over his FT Tour (which is now owned by LeftyHoges). He's now committed to the D3, but he admits that it's nowhere near as long as his FT Tour. That's verified, as I installed his F7M2 out of the FT Tour that he used all last season and over the winter in the sim into the D3 head and he's still short.

Can't argue with real world results, especially when they're supplied from my own hands.

That said, the D2/3 is a great driver.

R35

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
wbl, how many drivers do you have stashed away?

One of my "faults" is when I get a new driver I sell the old one during the "honeymoon" period and then find the old one was better. This puts me on a new search for the magic driver. I will no longer get rid of the old one until well past the honeymoon. So the two drivers you see in my sig are the only ones I currently have. Today I hit one on the front nine and the other on the back nine with no real difference in scoring results. I might be getting wiser in my old age or at least luckier....

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
A friend of mine went all Titty this year. He's lost 15 yards on his drive over his FT Tour (which is now owned by LeftyHoges). He's now committed to the D3, but he admits that it's nowhere near as long as his FT Tour. That's verified, as I installed his F7M2 out of the FT Tour that he used all last season and over the winter in the sim into the D3 head and he's still short.

R35

Why did he switch then?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
HD6 is available from Titleist

I forgot about the HD6/XCon6.

Why did he switch then?

Because he thought he would gain distance, and he wanted a matching bag for 2011.

He switched after hitting the 910 on a sim and promptly sold his FT Tour and dedicated his game to the Titleist bag. But he still openly admits that it's not as long as his FT Tour. C'est la vie.

R35

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Playing the FT-9 full time now. I'm hitting it straighter and love those few extra yards. This is weird, but I'm 64 years old and hitting the driver (not the irons) longer then I ever have in my life and also shooting the lowest scores (for me) of my life. My swing now actually somewhat resembles a golf swing and once I get my putter trained look out. :)

My major "problem" is my HEAD! If I play with certain people I try too hard (overswing) and suck. (My timing gets all out of whack). Examples are a couple guys I used to work with and nututhugame. I also suck in the wind. I want to swing too hard in that situation also. I play with complete strangers (good or bad) and you'd think I just came off the Nationwide tour..... well, maybe not that good but I can shoot bogey golf.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Today I had a hard time keeping the FT-9 in play. I might have to use the FT-iq out of necessity to keep it in the fairway. It wouldn't be the end of the world. Two to five yards gain is not going to make a difference if you can't hit it straight.

🔥 Latest posts