• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cally shaft question...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
At the risk of asking another annoying equipment question, here goes. I've found a few good deals on Cally Ft-i Tour clubs. Some have the speeder 686 and others have the matrix. Question is, are these shafts decent? Are they watered down, or made for shafts or are they real deal Speeders and Matrix shafts? And do they not make the Ft-i in 10.5*? THanks!

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Real deal shafts. I'm 99% sure the FT-i Tour was only offered in 8.5 and 9.5 retail, with the occasional 7.5 popping up from the Tour van. Since you said you balloned the FT-5 in 10.5, going with the 9.5 FT-i should be a big deal for you.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Real deal shafts. I'm 99% sure the FT-i Tour was only offered in 8.5 and 9.5 retail, with the occasional 7.5 popping up from the Tour van. Since you said you balloned the FT-5 in 10.5, going with the 9.5 FT-i should be a big deal for you.

I'll second the real deal, had an FT-i with the 686 and an FT-5 with the Matrix x-con 6 in it. 686 was a bit stout for me, really liked the matrix.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'll second the real deal, had an FT-i with the 686 and an FT-5 with the Matrix x-con 6 in it. 686 was a bit stout for me, really liked the matrix.

I found an Ft-i Tour LCG on Cally Pre owned with a JavlnFX M7 for $145 shipped in average condition. I am giving very serious consideration that stick. I have wanted to try the Javln for awhile now and this may be the perfect oppurtunity. It helps to that Cally Pre owned average condition is pretty much spotless and almost like new in my mind.

What's the main difference between the Ft-i tour and the tour LCG? Is it just a lower center of gravity? Is it really that simple?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Lower and deeper CG. The LCG launches higher, and the flight is a little flatter. Every LCG I've had was a bomber. I'm considering going back to an FT-i as well. Thinking about going Imix again, and really going after it with a couple of heads. I think it would save me money in the long run, since I'm such a flake with drivers.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Lower and deeper CG. The LCG launches higher, and the flight is a little flatter. Every LCG I've had was a bomber. I'm considering going back to an FT-i as well. Thinking about going Imix again, and really going after it with a couple of heads. I think it would save me money in the long run, since I'm such a flake with drivers.

What shaft did you find that worked best for you in the Imix? I have been tempted to try a matrix but always come back to the BB. I'm really liking the idea of the FTi with the JavlnFX M7.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I had a Redboard 73 in a 9.5 FT-i Imix head. That was a great club, very straight for me. I forget why I got rid of it. Like I said, I'm a flake. I never used anything else in the I-mix, but I've have a 8.5 LCG with the Matrix, and a 9.5 regular with a Speeder 686. The Matrix/8.5 LCG was the longest, and hardest to hit for me. The Redboard/9.5 LCG was the most consistent, and the regular/Speeder never made it to the course from the range. I've also hit a regular 8.5/ Speeder 652 X flex which I just killed. 3 straight 265 yard carries on a simulator that I trust. That's a monster shot for me. Dang, soon I'll have myself talked into another one!

EDIT: I have no idea how the Javelyn would work in the FT-i. Isn't the M7 pretty stiff?

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I had a Redboard 73 in a 9.5 FT-i Imix head. That was a great club, very straight for me. I forget why I got rid of it. Like I said, I'm a flake. I never used anything else in the I-mix, but I've have a 8.5 LCG with the Matrix, and a 9.5 regular with a Speeder 686. The Matrix/8.5 LCG was the longest, and hardest to hit for me. The Redboard/9.5 LCG was the most consistent, and the regular/Speeder never made it to the course from the range. I've also hit a regular 8.5/ Speeder 652 X flex which I just killed. 3 straight 265 yard carries on a simulator that I trust. That's a monster shot for me. Dang, soon I'll have myself talked into another one!

EDIT: I have no idea how the Javelyn would work in the FT-i. Isn't the M7 pretty stiff?

Not sure how stiff it is, haven't ever swung one. The torque rating is pretty high I think, like 3.9-I might be thinking of the wrong shaft though. I also found one with a Fubuki 60g stiff in it for $115 shipped on ebay. Don't know much about the Fubuki either but I am slowly coming around on Cally clubs, at first the square head seemed a bit weird but it has grown on me.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
At the moment I'm gaming an IQ with a BB. I wasn't a fan of the Ft-i, but I think that was totally the shaft and not the head. The IQ's awesome and the BB's nice. I have a WB that I just screwed in this morning (i-mix) and will give that a go tomorrow to see what the difference is between the Blue and the White. As much as you like shafts and heads, you ought to give the i-mix a shot, you can get the FTi head in an i-mix also....not sure about the shaft you want to test though.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
At the moment I'm gaming an IQ with a BB. I wasn't a fan of the Ft-i, but I think that was totally the shaft and not the head. The IQ's awesome and the BB's nice. I have a WB that I just screwed in this morning (i-mix) and will give that a go tomorrow to see what the difference is between the Blue and the White. As much as you like shafts and heads, you ought to give the i-mix a shot, you can get the FTi head in an i-mix also....not sure about the shaft you want to test though.

LOL, i do like to mess around with driver heads/shafts. Still though, of all the head-shaft combos I have tried I am still kicking myself for selling the Titleist 905R 10.5* w/ a blueboard 73g stiff flex.

I like the look of the FT-5 tour, might try to find one of those in the Imix. I think I will start with the Ft-i though, something different.

1967GTA

I Love Cindy Mancini
Dec 23, 2009
I dont have the ft-i tour, just the regular ft-i, and mine has the Fujikura 586 shaft. i freaking love it. I played a 9º FT-i for 3 years and recently sold it and started using a Nickent 4DX. Wrong Move. I was averaging 74% fairways with the FT-i. I hit less than half of that with the 4DX. A week ago I bought a BRAND NEW FT-i off Callaway Pre-Owned for $140. It was listed in "Outlet" condition, and when it arrived it had all the stickers on the head and shaft and clearly had never been hit. Ive played with it twice since I got it and I hit 5/7 fairways the first time and 7/7 fairways yesterday. These FT-i's rule. I could've bought an FT-iQ for the same price on Callaway Pre-Owned (Avg condition), but I just figured why screw with a good thing? The FT-i was a fairway finding machine for me so Im just gonna stick with what works from now on. And that 586 shaft is absolutely perfect for my swing.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I dont have the ft-i tour, just the regular ft-i, and mine has the Fujikura 586 shaft. i freaking love it. I played a 9º FT-i for 3 years and recently sold it and started using a Nickent 4DX. Wrong Move. I was averaging 74% fairways with the FT-i. I hit less than half of that with the 4DX. A week ago I bought a BRAND NEW FT-i off Callaway Pre-Owned for $140. It was listed in "Outlet" condition, and when it arrived it had all the stickers on the head and shaft and clearly had never been hit. Ive played with it twice since I got it and I hit 5/7 fairways the first time and 7/7 fairways yesterday. These FT-i's rule. I could've bought an FT-iQ for the same price on Callaway Pre-Owned (Avg condition), but I just figured why screw with a good thing? The FT-i was a fairway finding machine for me so Im just gonna stick with what works from now on. And that 586 shaft is absolutely perfect for my swing.

I have always been impressed with Cally preowneds rating system. Average to them is Very good to excellent for most. I bought a set of Hogan FTX's off them last summer in Average condition, when they arrived I couldn't believe how good they were.

How do you find the distance of the Ft-i? I would imagine it to be similar to other drivers.

1967GTA

I Love Cindy Mancini
Dec 23, 2009
I have always been impressed with Cally preowneds rating system. Average to them is Very good to excellent for most. I bought a set of Hogan FTX's off them last summer in Average condition, when they arrived I couldn't believe how good they were.

How do you find the distance of the Ft-i? I would imagine it to be similar to other drivers.

exactly. ive read on several forums where people talk of distance loss but i dont see any. its the most solid driver ive ever owned. hell, i might even buy another new one just to keep as a back-up. no distance loss here. plus, with the amount of fairways i hit with this thing, it was a no-brainer for me to buy another one. my confidence is huge with the FT-i

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
exactly. ive read on several forums where people talk of distance loss but i dont see any. its the most solid driver ive ever owned. hell, i might even buy another new one just to keep as a back-up. no distance loss here. plus, with the amount of fairways i hit with this thing, it was a no-brainer for me to buy another one. my confidence is huge with the FT-i

That is huge, HUGE, with any club! No confidence=no results!

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006

I'm a cally pre-owned fan myself. I'd normally agree that the condition of the gear is often better than what they say it is. However, the FTiq I play now was listed in average condition and I scored it for $59.00 thinking that it would be a nice head......wrong, first time cally ever let me down, two sky marks on the crown and a few scratches to go along with those. The head still plays great, but she's ugly...looks like she's been in a few bar fights and lost. Anyway, why not try an FT-9/iq, at a minimum they sound better than the FT-5/i....less thunky if ya know what I mean. And I'll have to agree, with the FT series my confidence runs wild....never afraid to pull the ugly girl out take her to the dance...she's a fairway finding machine for sure.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.