• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Camera Gurus...

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
damn - I've been perusing strobist.blogspot.com, so I'll be taking 2 unmbrella stands and some speedlites with me to the golfcourse PA ;)

LOL
I've got a Cleveland staff bag you might want.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Hey folks, I got paid today and also got a check from some relatives for my birthday. I'm done Christmas shopping, so now I can ho at will. I'm going to get a rebel, but I have a question first. I can get just the body and get a lense separately; or I can get a body with 2 lenses, a 28-105 and a 70-300 for $100 more. I am a DSLR novice and I don't know if these will suit me. But I do like the idea of the 70-300. Can anybody offer advice?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Hey folks, I got paid today and also got a check from some relatives for my birthday. I'm done Christmas shopping, so now I can ho at will. I'm going to get a rebel, but I have a question first. I can get just the body and get a lense separately; or I can get a body with 2 lenses, a 28-105 and a 70-300 for $100 more. I am a DSLR novice and I don't know if these will suit me. But I do like the idea of the 70-300. Can anybody offer advice?

I would say save your money and spend a little more on a quality lens. You'll at least want one with IS(image stabalizer). Like the 18-55 IS kit lens or the 55-250 IS lens.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I would say save your money and spend a little more on a quality lens. You'll at least want one with IS(image stabalizer). Like the 18-55 IS kit lens or the 55-250 IS lens.
The lens is the key to quality. Spend some time reading lens reviews on the web. then spend more time reading lens reviews on the web. It's not easy to find quality glass for little money. But quality glass is what you MUST have in order to shoot decent pictures.

Forget all the talk about megapixel this and frames per second that. The lens is where you need to focus your attention.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
or I can get a body with 2 lenses, a 28-105 and a 70-300 for $100 more.
What type of lenses? Sometime they stack inferior lenses on these for that price. Although they many times have this package with the Canon or Sigma lenses, in which case I would spend the extra $100 even if they aren't the best quality Canon or Sigma, because they are well worth that price and will give you good optics until or even if you decide to upgrade. If they are something like Quantary lenses I would likely save my money and buy a better lens.

If you are buying a nice SLR, make sure to buy at least reasonably good optics or you will only be defeating the purpose.

stellargellar

Nov 13, 2008
This thing has a 20x optical zoom. That seems impossibly good; Hubble telescope good. I think she'd REALLY like to be able to zoom in like that on little bugs and such. She's cute like that.

if she wants to be able to take macro shots of bugs, it really depends on the lens, not so much at the camera.:)

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
The lens is the key to quality. Spend some time reading lens reviews on the web. then spend more time reading lens reviews on the web. It's not easy to find quality glass for little money. But quality glass is what you MUST have in order to shoot decent pictures.

Forget all the talk about megapixel this and frames per second that. The lens is where you need to focus your attention.

I agree, thats why I bought a Ricoh:)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I agree, thats why I bought a Ricoh:)
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.........blah!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I apologize for threadjacking but its pointless to make another camera thread....

Getting a DSLR for the family for xmas...

Is the Canon Rebel XS kit lense worth it for amatuer pics? I will upgrade later if i find i am really into the whole photography thing.....not that i really need another expensive hobby but o well....

Also, anyone bought anything from US1photo.com ? They seem to have the best price with free shipping for that package. It seems like a very legit business but i just want to make sure.

/nother photo newb...

ETA: I just ordered it to hopefully get it here in time for xmas....yay me for procrastination....hopefully this wasn't a complete waste of money...but from what i gathered from these threads the canon rebel is a solid platform....

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Never heard of them, but this may help
US1Camera / us1camera.com / us1digital.com / Photomania - us1photo.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

I can highly recommend this place. I would consider one of the top in the industry.
B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/B_H_Photo_Video_Pro_Audio

What kit where you looking at? It looked like the kits on the place you linked only come with 1 lens. Which is not really a kit. Maybe I was missing something

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Never heard of them, but this may help
US1Camera / us1camera.com / us1digital.com / Photomania - us1photo.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

I can highly recommend this place. I would consider one of the top in the industry.
B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders
B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio - bhphotovideo.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

What kit where you looking at? It looked like the kits on the place you linked only come with 1 lens. Which is not really a kit. Maybe I was missing something
B&H Photo is a direct competitor of mine in the broadcast video world. Having said that, I bought my Rebel XTi from them. They are a very reputable company. Just don't expect much service after the sale.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Damn...looks like i should have waited for a response...

o well, lets home i am one of the chosen few to have a good experience with the company.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Ended up getting the following:

Digital Rebel XS kit
4gig high speed card
UV lens filter
Decent soft case
extended 3 year factory warr.
2day air shipping

For 550.

After ordering online and giving all my information as per the usual online transaction i got an email from Bruce and a call explaining that due to the cost of the order he needs me to give him a call to confirm the order. So i call him up that night about 7:30C which was 8:30 his time and he was there.

Talked to him, confirmed my information and then recieved an order confirmation by email, the next day i recieved a shipping confirmation by email with tracking number.

Showed up right on time yesterday. All stuff was brand new in the factory boxes with all warr. paperwork accounted for.

Put it together and started playing around with it. Took some pictures of random ornaments on the xmas tree and some longer exposure shots of the tree itself that came out really nice. I am very impressed and have already looked into some different lenses for it....i can already tell this is going to be an expensive endeavor. Even with the limited time i spent messing with different exposure times, iso's, etc. i had a lot of fun figure out what all the gadgets on the camera did and how they affected the outcome. I understood what all the numbers meant as i have been doing my research but seeing them actually work in person really drove some of the more fuzzy ideas home.

Overall, the experience with us1photo was as expected, nothing out of the ordinary besides having to call to confirm the order but i can understand that.

🔥 Latest posts