• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can my 3 wood tell me anything about finding the right driver?

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
I have always been terrible off the tee. Until lately that is. I picked up a Cleveland Hi-Bore 3 wood that I hit very well (for me). I think it is a couple years old rather than the newest model, I got a really good deal on it when the local golf shop had a tent sale.

I hit fairways more consistently with it and can hit it pretty far (again for me). I regularly hit it 240-250 and really caught one the other day that had to be 265-270. It was the farthest I've ever hit any club, usually I hit my driver about 250 if I can keep it straight.

Here's my question. Can I translate anything from the 3 wood to the driver? In other words do the shaft, swing weight, etc. of the 3 wood tell me anything about what driver I would hit well? I have to think that as well as I'm hitting the 3 wood I should be able to hit a driver farther than I do any of the ones I have tried.

The Hi-Bore has the stock 55 gram Fujikura regular flex shaft in it.

Any advice on what this club may tell me about what type of driver I should try?

DH

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I have always been terrible off the tee. Until lately that is. I picked up a Cleveland Hi-Bore 3 wood that I hit very well (for me). I think it is a couple years old rather than the newest model, I got a really good deal on it when the local golf shop had a tent sale.

I hit fairways more consistently with it and can hit it pretty far (again for me). I regularly hit it 240-250 and really caught one the other day that had to be 265-270. It was the farthest I've ever hit any club, usually I hit my driver about 250 if I can keep it straight.

Here's my question. Can I translate anything from the 3 wood to the driver? In other words do the shaft, swing weight, etc. of the 3 wood tell me anything about what driver I would hit well? I have to think that as well as I'm hitting the 3 wood I should be able to hit a driver farther than I do any of the ones I have tried.

The Hi-Bore has the stock 55 gram Fujikura regular flex shaft in it.

Any advice on what this club may tell me about what type of driver I should try?

DH

Not to be an ass, but if you hit your 3-wood 240-250 and when you rail one, it's over 260.. And where you want it to land..

Why do you want a driver then?

Stick with that I say.

OP
D

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
Not to be an ass, but if you hit your 3-wood 240-250 and when you rail one, it's over 260.. And where you want it to land..

Why do you want a driver then?

Stick with that I say.

Trust me that thought has occured to me. The answer is that if I have the ability to hit my 3 wood that way (and it is an aberration, I'm not overly long with my irons) then maybe I can find a driver I hit farther. I know distance isn't the end all be all of golf but it can certainly make things easier playing shorter irons into the green.

I think most of us are always trying to improve our game and I have to believe that I won't reach my full potential if I never find a driver I can hit.

DH

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
In my experience... hitting a 3-wood well does not automatically mean you will hit a driver of the same brand/model well. I hit a Tour Burner driver but I prefer the Callaway FT 3-wood over the Taylomade.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I got with the flow then, because I absolutely crush my 3 wood off the tee or the deck, with a gorgeous low penetrating flight. It's the Burner Tour TP strong 3 wood.

I've finally gotten the same thing, albeit harder to replicate each time as I can with my 3 wood with my Burner.

I'd say try the cleveland.. Seems it's rather popular.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Shaft is more important than the head. Fuji 55g should be lower kick, higher launch. Let me take a look at a few clubs and see what has a similar stock shaft.

Actually, the Hibore driver had that same shaft. Here's one on Global Golf http://www.globalgolf.com/product/golfclub.aspx?pid=1001048&gd=3 if it doesn't come up change the shaft flex box to regular, should be an 11.5* with the 55g Rflex.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
The loft probably has alot to do with it. You might want to try a High Launch or 13* driver - I think Cleveland even makes a large driver sized 2-wood with 16* of loft.

People who hit their 3 wood further than their driver usually have a driver with too little loft for their swing or swingspeed.

The 3 wood is probably a more reasonable length too - drivers have gotten longer and longer over the years and many people will hit the ball straighter with a shorter, more controllable club

OP
D

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
Thanks. I might try the Hi Bore with the same shaft but wanted some ideas of what other folks had experienced. Dropping several hundred on a driver isn't a small deal to me.

Length might play a role. I actually hit my wife's driver ok if I really slow my swing down--it is a Lady's Cobra and is much shorter than any driver I've tried.

Any tips on how to determine the right driver loft for me?

DH

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
You can pick up a HiBore XL for around $100.00 right now in great shape used. It's a great driver, see my sig, I have 2 of them and I'm thinking about picking up another one for a spare Tour version. Don't waste your time with the XLS, it's a POS from everything I've read. The HiBore XL has a slightly closed face for people that tend to hit a slice. The XL Tour model is slightly open faced if you fight a hook.

Like has already been said, try and find one with the same shaft as your 3 wood and don't go with to low of a loft, I wouldn't go any lower than a 10.5º from what you've said.

OP
D

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
Ok, so I'm looking at both a Hi-Bore and a Hi-Bore XL with the same shaft. What is the difference between the two clubs?

I also think it is interesting the make a 16 degree driver when my 3 wood is 15 degrees but 2 inches shorter.

DH

🔥 Latest posts