• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can we have a U.S. Open Banter Thread??

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Having grown up and learned the game in Massachusetts, I have never seen rough like this. Some of the grass rivals the fescue on those Scottish links courses, just ask Rory. Watched him take a swing at a ball that never appeared to move.

I kind of like this setup. It’s not tricked up with unfair greens. It’s not crazy long. They watered the greens between waves so the afternoon guys get similar conditions to what the day guys got. They made the course tough, but fair. Amazing what can be done when you strategically grow rough to make accuracy count for something.

Just look at the leaderboard, it’s not full of known bombers. Accuracy and short game skills are rewarded. Hopefully the USGA and R&A look at this versus rolling back the golf ball and other equipment regs.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
The rough is so challenging, the leader (at the time) chose a lie in a hospitality suite versus a free drop in the rough….

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Rory on 3…

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Reviewing my picks….I can not win unless Xander wins….and he is +8 through 13. Best I can do is second if Scheffler wins.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If Zalatoris wins, looks like Tea gets to keep the coffee cup to himself. He and I picked Zalatoris, but all four of his picks are still in the game. Lowry missed the cut so I'd take second.

WBL and SSmokin' both have solid slates and are still in the game.

Some real "players" on tomorrow's leaderboard. Toss up, hopefully, until the last hole.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Seems like as soon as someone pulls away from the field, they come falling back to earth and then lose a few more strokes for good measure.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Scheffler starts out birdie, birdie. Getting it going early.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If Scheffler is playing against the course... the course is losing!!! Looks like he came to take the trophy home, making it look easy. -4 through the first 6 holes.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
WBL always picks Matsuyama. Thought he was nuts... until a few minutes ago. Matsuyama playing great on this last round.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
What a save for Scheffler on that par 5! Had it back clear down the approach twice... yet made his 5. Thought sure it would bring him back a stroke.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
“Go get’em Schefflaaahhh!”

Yup, the course is in Massachusetts. 😄

Fitzpatrick hanging around. Could get an exciting back 9 shoot out. If Zalatoris could putt, this would have been his second major in a row. His iron play is mezmorizing.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
If Scheffler is playing against the course... the course is losing!!! Looks like he came to take the trophy home, making it look easy. -4 through the first 6 holes.
Course is starting to fight back…

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Things are a changing. How can such a short Par 3 like #11 cause so many problems?

Zalatoris is making a charge while the rest are falling back. With this course, nothing is a sure thing. Stay tuned.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
-6 has been a bad luck number. Every player that gets to -6 almost immediately starts dropping shots. Rahm yesterday, and the three leaders today,

🔥 Latest posts