• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can we have a U.S. Open Banter Thread??

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Fitzpatrick hits it in the fairway bunker on 18. 😳

-6 curse continues.

Door is now open.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
and then hits a heck of a shot out of the fairway bunker…😳

Advantage Fitzpatrick….

Zalatoris then puts it inside of Fitzpatrick on a similar line.

What a finish.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Ohhhhh……just missed on the left edge.

What a finish!

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Great golf!!! I love it when you don't know who wins until the last putt on the last hole!!!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I thought Zalatoris’ putt was in….until it wasn’t.

Fitzpatrick hits 17 greens in regulation…considering where some of those approach shots came from it is an amazing stat for a course like the Country Club.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
What theatre! What a Championship! Fantastic viewing and delighted for Fitzpatrick and for his caddy Billy Foster, both of whom now have their first Major. The quality of golf down the line was stunning, I really feel for Zalatoris, he didn't do too much wrong, so it must hurt for him now, but his day will come. I was most impressed with Fitzy's attitude. He laughed and joked his way around with Foster. Even after 3 jacking the 10th, he did not lose spirit. It was great head-to-head stuff, but Schaeffler almost peeked in at the end. I kinda fancied the Englishman on the back of him winning the US Amateur 9 years ago on the same track. He stayed with the same family this week that he did for the amateur, that obviously worked. But I didn't think he had the fortitude to see it through, so good on him to prove me wrong. Another "nearly" for Rory, he didn't do much wrong, but just couldn't switch gear when he needed to. Rahm was disappointing, Hediki came in with a stunning 65! It was all good.

And the course seemed to hold up to the challenge, it was not the usual US Open carnage. Fair but tough. I can't imagine the greens drying out much more, it's always a fine line between tough and unplayable. Well done to the organisers. That's two weeks in a row I have sat up late to watch fantastic golf being played.

On an aside, I played the Country Club, about 33 years ago. I can only remember the 1st and 18th, everything else was a blur. But I do recall it was a tough track, the greens seemed tiny for hitting long irons into. I als recall kniffing my sand wedge on the greenside bunker on 18, much to the merriment of everyone on the terrace up above the green.

Roll on St Andrews! May the wind blow and the rain fall! :p

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Considering the situation, that shot is easily in the top 5 of all shots.
Watching it live, I figured no way he lands the ball on the green.

Now, I am pretty sure it is going to be on every US Open commercial for the next few decades….right along with Watson’s chip in on #17 at Pebble.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Watching it live, I figured no way he lands the ball on the green.

Now, I am pretty sure it is going to be on every US Open commercial for the next few decades….right along with Watson’s chip in on #17 at Pebble.
Somewhere along the line Fitzpatrick hinted at even naming the bunker after him... a plague or something at the very least!

What a finish and what a tournament!! Bring on the Old Course

🔥 Latest posts