• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can you do this???

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
I often wonder whether some of us--maybe most of us--build up an internal regulator that makes it difficult to near-impossible for us to swing as hard as we're physically capable. For instance, I'm fairly tall, with long arms, and can get a driver clubhead to point at my left knee on the backswing (think JD, but without the gut, cigarette, or length). But my golf swing, carefully assembled with baling wire over 40 years of goat-track trekking, has been designed to keep it on the course more than to bomb it out there. For the first 15 years I played, I had enough trouble just finding the ball, much less taking it deep, so that a really hard swing just doesn't seem to be in me.

I remember a couple of years ago playing one day with the newly released Accuflex Evolution in my driver. It was playing too stiff for me, and with lousy timing that day, all I played was army golf: left, right, left. On the 15th hole, burned to a crisp, I tried to simply crush the ball...and DID. Straight into a 15 mph wind, I hit the longest drive I've ever hit on that hole, and I've played it 2 or 3 thousand times. I also hit it to the exact center of the fairway.

Yes, there are different athletic types. My next-door neighbor growing up, same height and general build as me, had a standing vertical leap of 48 inches, and I could elevate maybe 16 inches (maybe). But part of the long-hit mystique, I believe, is that some golfers have no fear of swinging hard, and others just can't let loose, can't get out of their own way. -- JC

🔥 Latest posts