• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can you fit a .350 tip shaft into a .335 head?

295yards

May 5, 2009
Probably not, right?
I bought a new shaft that has a .350 tip shaft without thinking, and I think the head on my shaft is .335. :wow:
Anybody know what the tip diameter is on the Tour Edge Exotics driver a couple year old?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
From what I've heard, all graphite shafts start out the same size and are sanded down to fit. Just carefully sand it down till it fits.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Can a mod please pin this!

The Tour Edge will be .335. Be careful to make sure that the top of the hosel has been properly coned to avoid a sharp edge. That head is notorious for shaft breakage at the hosel.

OP
295yards

295yards

May 5, 2009
Has anyone successfully put a .350 tip shaft into a .335 hosel or is it a recipe for disaster?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
The Matrix in my Adams is a .350 sanded to .335. I do not consider it a problem. It is very easy, however, to sand the top part of the tip more than the bottom. In other words, sand the spot right at the hosel too much.

Take your time and check often with a gauge. You'll be fine.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
No need to to taper anything as both a .350 and .335 hosel are parallel.

OP
295yards

295yards

May 5, 2009
What's your opinion? Can I somehow get the new shaft in my head safely or at least have some professional do it?
I've heard I can shave the shaft, but to me it seems more logical to ream the hosel out if there is enough material there.
Wouldn't shaving the shaft make it more succeptible to breaking at the hosel? Maybe not since we are only talking minute amounts?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
just sand the shaft to fit, simple as that. Easy as pie and no risk at all. Besides y
ou cant ream a titanium hosel.

OP
295yards

295yards

May 5, 2009
Cool! What would be your recommendation to sanding? Mark the depth into the hosel plus whatever the farrel covers and no farther?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006

I worded my post poorly. I find that when I have sanded, I have a tendency to sand the upper part of the tip more than the lower, kind of a reverse taper. This is probably just something with my technique.

🔥 Latest posts