• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Canadian golf statistics

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
From my participation on various golf boards, it has come to my attention that Canadians are huge participants in the game.

Obviously the US has a much larger population but it seems to me that on a per capita basis - more Canadians play than Americans.

I find this especially interesting because you can only play 7-8 months per year.

Anybody up there have any statistics on per capita play by your countrymen?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I have this:

"Saskatchewan is golf crazy, according to Tourism Saskatchewan.

A recent study by the National Golf Foundation showed that one-quarter of the population, 12 years and older, played 15 or more rounds of golf a year, the highest percentage in North America.

A July 1999 Omnibus survey done by the City of Regina found that 37.5 per cent of Regina's population makes use of the city run golf courses.

In fact, per capita, the province has more golf courses (over 250) than any other place in the world."

I live in Regina. I would say that those numbers have increased significantly since 1999 and the numbers of women playing golf now are tremendous.

R35

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
What do you attribute this to?

1) Hockey? Meaning you have many people who like to swing a stick?? And are good at it??

2) Weather? Once it warms up, everybody is just going crazy to get outside?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I think it's a little bit of both.

There's also a large tie to UK roots in Canada. Many people emmigrated here and remain to this day closely knit to their heritage. I think golf has been passed down as a pasttime this way as well.

There are more left handed golfers in Canada per capita than anywhere else in the world. And, at that, it's almost double what the average is (nearly 18%). This is from hockey, forsure.

Plus, with winters being so long and usually quite harsh over many parts of this province, when summer comes you gotta "get it while the gettin's good".

"Meaning you have many people that like to swing a stick?" - That line made me laugh. I just imagined people out in the backyard swinging like a madman......lol...

R35

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
The left-handed stat you quoted was the most surprising to me...it really goes to show how many right handed players are somewhat forced to play the game from the other side for a variety of reasons.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
My 7 year old, for whatever reason (baseball switch-hitting idoletry I bet) is trying his best to convince himself and the world that he is left handed. He is asking for lefty clubs. I am discouraging this. Poo-poo daddy. Rain on the parade, etc...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I know 4 guys that play golf right handed, but shoot left handed in hockey.

I think they do it just to bring the southpaw numbers down. ;)

R35

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
One friend of mine is right handed, plays hockey right, but golfs left. Another friend of mine plays hockey left (I think), golfs right, but putts left. Weirdo.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Silver said:
One friend of mine is right handed, plays hockey right, but golfs left. Another friend of mine plays hockey left (I think), golfs right, but putts left. Weirdo.

All your friends must be Canadians, and ergo, weirdos. :D

R35

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
rockford35 said:
I know 4 guys that play golf right handed, but shoot left handed in hockey.

I think they do it just to bring the southpaw numbers down. ;)

R35

I do the same thing, however I can play ok left handed, id be able to break 100 for sure and thats not to shabby for playing with your wrong hand.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Silver said:

I've played with a lefty for 30 years who plays right handed except when he putts.

He's a better putter than full swinger though....maybe he should consider playing as a southpaw...

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Bravo said:
I've played with a lefty for 30 years who plays right handed except when he putts.

He's a better putter than full swinger though....maybe he should consider playing as a southpaw...

Yeah on saturdays I play with older people, and he is left handed, and putts right handed it is because his left hand comes in and means he pulls loads of putts.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I'm not certain but with the arrival of Golfbum I'm thinking that Canadians outnumber Americans on this board. :wow:

Welcome aboard Golfbum!

(If anyone thinks GB is a poser, have a look at his web page ;) http://home.golden.net/~ve3fmc/ )

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Welcome aboard, fellow Canuck.

Funny how we speak of Canada having the highest golfer per capita rate, and the forum is just about the same....

I just wish it wasn't -53 here today......cripes!

R35

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Honestly man, how do you f'in survive that? I don't think it's ever been that cold anywhere I've been. I grew up in Kelowna and it was only about -30 or so at the worst.

Since I've moved to Vancouver, I probably haven't seen a temp much below -10 or -15.

We're up to +5 or 6 next week though. Rain's coming, which means snow's melting, which means I'll get to play golf soon.

🔥 Latest posts