• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cancer Update

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Not trying to be depressing, but wirehairs post made me think, some of y'all might want to know where I'm at with my treatment. I'm momentarily done with the radiation, just taking chemo ever 28 days now. They are giving me another drug that keeps me from throwing my toenails up. I swear I think it prolongs the yucky and washed out feeling, but I guess that beats running back and forth to the porcelian turtle/ I recently had a PET scan, a head to toe x-ray basically, where they found the cancer in my lungs has for the most part shrunk, but its spread to a place on my left femur and lower spine. The docotors don't seem to freaked out, apparently the spreading is normal and can easily be treated?And one doctor is een excited at how I'm coming along. Although I did have another doctor ask me how long they had given me and told me I needed to get my affairs in order, which was rather upsetting to hear. Guess it just depends on which doctor I listen to? LOL

The pain from the nerve damage left behind by the shingles is still there, but can be maintained with medication. Granted, I'm on some pretty serious pain meds, and am a little too loosey goosey in my swing and thinking sometimes. And thats when the pain will let me play at all. Sometimes its too strong even medicated to play, so I head down to the chipping and putting green. On the plus side, my chipping is getting deadly, and my putting is coming around as I get more and more practice witth the mid-legnth putter.Not having to bend as far over is really allowing me to practicce more without lower back pain, a problem I always had with a blade or normal length putter.

Anyway, thats where I stand with the cancer at the moment.

Happy New Years everyone.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I just read wirehair's post only to click back to the forum to find this post...what the hell is going on around here?
I'm glad to hear you're doing well.
I wouldn't worry too much about that one doctor- it's always a good idea to have your affairs in order - who doesn't want their affairs in order, but I think you have to focus on the treatment/fight and all the things you can still do.
Hit em strait!

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I just read wirehair's post only to click back to the forum to find this post...what the hell is going on around here?

Sadly it seems, many of us on the forum and on the golf courses in general, are reaching the ages these things begin to rear their ugly heads. Mine is self induced I suppose, because I was a pack and a 1/2 smoker for ages, so I guess I brought mine on myself. Regardless, its where I'm at now and having to deal with/fight it.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Stay strong Dub and keep in mind we are all pulling for you!

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Although I did have another doctor ask me how long they had given me and told me I needed to get my affairs in order, which was rather upsetting to hear. Guess it just depends on which doctor I listen to? LOL

Man, isn't that a ton-o-fun? I don't know if you or I are better off though. The good thing is Cancer can be and is frequently cured, my brudder has had 3 different (totally unrelated) cancers cured over the last 40 years or so. The chemo or radiation treatments aren't lots of good times, it costs a butt-load of money, and hurts! But you'll probably get over it. Thats good, but I'm really glad that I don't have to go through all that hospital-drug-doctor crap.

Geez...that sounds depressing, I ought to delete and go away, but...well ya know.

MW, keep the balls in the air, one of us needs to get out of this shit we find ourselves in, and you're gonna be the odds-on favorite.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Keep fighting it, dub!

You know, I had my affairs in order once. Then my wife found the list and now I don't have any affairs to worry about!! ;)

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Stay strong and positive Dub. I think that's the key. I think the mind is more powerful than people know. People beat it every day.

A friend of mine should've died 10 years ago. It started as breast cancer and it made it's way to her back and spine before she was diagnosed. Now she's as healthy as a horse.

🔥 Latest posts