• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cannot get my drive up in the air anymore!!! Why?

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Realize this threads a lil older, and I also realize that there could be any number of things different in your swing then mine, maybe the problem altogether. However I have been fighting this all season so far. Nasty duck hooks that dive bomb, lol. Anyhow, I may have had a break through today @ range...and going to test it tomorrow at the range as well. But I noticed it felt i was completely coming over the top like rolling over to continue follow through before I got to the ball. Seemed to be a timing issue. I just made a mental effort to initiate my down swing through with my lower end.

Pretty basic really, but Ill be damned if it didnt take me this long to finally re-realize that was missing, as it was something I fixed at one time. I think I was just trying to muscle it so bad I was just swinging mostly arms.. d'oh. That coupled with keeping my left arm straight, I have a tendency to bend my elbow which throws my whole plane out of whack.

The ones I remembered to do all that, I hit it nice and straight, sometimes a slight draw (which i dont mind). Not overly long, but hey, 250 and in play ill be happy. Taking WAAAY too many pen strokes off the tees this yr already. Killin me. Would be shooting low 40s consistently if not for them. Shot a 45 other day with 8 penalty strokes. Left to imagine what coulda been if I coulda gotten off a frickin tee.

OP
greatdane

greatdane

Feb 16, 2011
Its back! I played this weekend and ever single drive was a low hook ob. Its worse now than it was before! Its the same with all my woods....I just cant hit them! Its frustrating...makes me just want to go fishing instead! ARRRRRGGGG!

Sometimes at the range I can hit 10 in a row strait and high down the middle but when I get to the golf corse its the ole low misile hook evertime! I dont get it!

Golfanatic

Feb 22, 2012
Half the fun of this game is trying to make my body do what the mind knows it should be doing.

Somewhere I read an article that said if youre having trouble with a driver to slow down your swing to a crawl. When you start hitting them right, then gradually build up your swing speed again. I guess seeing your swing produce good shots again, even shorter, helps get your confidence up. Slowing down can help show where swing mechanics might be going wrong so you can see what you need to do to correct the problem.
I'll see if I can find that article again.

OP
greatdane

greatdane

Feb 16, 2011
What about grip size? I have lamkin midsize grips on all my clubs? But I do not have really big hands like M/L. I have been wondering if its hurting my grip? I ordered a sharpro 3 Cat standard size grip to try on my driver. Any opinions? Could to big of grip hurt my drive??

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
What about grip size? I have lamkin midsize grips on all my clubs? But I do not have really big hands like M/L. I have been wondering if its hurting my grip? I ordered a sharpro 3 Cat standard size grip to try on my driver. Any opinions? Could to big of grip hurt my drive??

It's my understanding that a grip that's too big for your hands can cause you to miss right if you're a right handed golfer. I have no idea why though, I guess it slows your hands down?

stllefty

Dec 30, 2008
St. Louis Missouri
Country
Its back! I played this weekend and ever single drive was a low hook ob. Its worse now than it was before! Its the same with all my woods....I just cant hit them! Its frustrating...makes me just want to go fishing instead! ARRRRRGGGG!

Sometimes at the range I can hit 10 in a row strait and high down the middle but when I get to the golf corse its the ole low misile hook evertime! I dont get it!

Make sure your staying with the ball after impact.
No moving forward on the shot.
Kind of sounds that your shoulder rotation is more around
The rear shoulder has two different options coming down.
Around the body, or under. Try the under.
Should take care of this problem
Remember the head stays down until the rear shoulder pulls it up.
Just like your hitting a high iron shot over a tree, stay behind ,stay down, stay under.:)

OP
greatdane

greatdane

Feb 16, 2011

Well this was a mistake! I was hookin and slicing everthing! Now Im going the other direction. I ordered a winn oversized dritac wrap. It looked comfortable, and I though what the hell its worth a try. I have read that a larger grip can help a hook? I use to have jumbo lamkins on my first set of clubs. But the only club they felt right on was my old driver? Time to grip it and rip it!!!

stllefty

Dec 30, 2008
St. Louis Missouri
Country
I would also look at the shaft. Depending on your swing speed ( ? ) the TM R5 Draw Face ,might have a higher kick point on the shaft. Which would never allow the club face to return to the original position at impact. But a closed de-loafted club face.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
This may be an over simplification but when my driver goes to hell I focus on hitting the ball on the screws, right in the center of the face.

I keep baby powder in my bag and drop a little on the face whenever I start losing distance or pop and keep hitting shots until I'm nutting it on the center of the face.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Sounds like you have too strong a grip.

If you're a righty, try and move your right hand on the grip so that the "V" of your thumb and forefinger are pointing at your right shoulder. This is a weak grip. It'll feel goofy at first, but it will help with you turning over and smothering the ball. Be patient - swing changes take time.

If you're a lefty, do the opposite to what's listed above.

R35
I agree with Rock, sounds like your turning your hands over too early.

ecooke21

Sep 6, 2006
i know this is an old topic, but feel the need to share...
Sounds like the exact problem i had... low, hooking, high spin drives.. very frustrating.. i took a lesson and the instructor told me i was leaning to far forward during my down swing... he had me focus on keeping my weight to more of my back leg, and concentrat on sweeping the ball up off the tee.. it worked instantly..

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Well this was a mistake! I was hookin and slicing everthing! Now Im going the other direction. I ordered a winn oversized dritac wrap. It looked comfortable, and I though what the hell its worth a try. I have read that a larger grip can help a hook? I use to have jumbo lamkins on my first set of clubs. But the only club they felt right on was my old driver? Time to grip it and rip it!!!
Bigger grips = more control because the grip isnt loose in your hands so that your having to bear down with your grip to keep hold of the club.
Frankly, knowing what I do now I dont understand why clubs dont come stock of the shelves with at least mid sized and possibly even oversized grips instead of standard (small).

I havent found anyone who hasnt loved my oversized grips when they swing my clubs. Takes a ball or two to get used to the feel, but once they do they can rip the clubs a lot further and straighter than I can.

Some guys say you get less distance with oversized and while I wont argue with them Ive seen a couple guys use my #1 hybrid with oversized and outdrive their buddies driver shot. Hell as girlie as I swing Ive gotten great distance with these oversized grips and some guys who changed to them said they lost no distance at all.

Oversized grips can take the whole left side of the course out of the way, though. i know that instead of a LOT of draws and hooks I started getting straight shots to baby fades 90% of the time when I changed to oversized.
I'll never go back to standard grips again.
:)

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Lol careful.... when the grips cant be held down in the fingers there are some problems that creep up on you. I wear a cadet glove. That means the fingers are short. My grips are smaller as a result.

🔥 Latest posts