• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cant believe it

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
i went out onto the range with a few demo clubs i wanted to try.. Titleist 695 CB, 695 MB, a 755, and a mizzy mp-60 (all 6 irons) i was going along fine and then all of a sudden a massive pain in my right foot (i'm right handed) after a shot..

tried to shrug it off but couldnt even turn on a quarter swing.. went to the hospital and found out i sprained my ankle! wtf?? playing golf.. couldnt believe it

now i'm out of action for 6 weeks.. i need to re-evaluate what im doing with my swing to cause such an injury.. and will be wearing some form of brace from here on..

pretty bummed about it..

i probably got through about 50 balls and tried each club.. in order of preference, i liked:

1) Titleist 755
2) Titleist 695 MB
3) Titleist 695 CB
4) Mizuno MP-60

i didnt hit enough balls to get a proper feel for each club, but with what i hit, they are what felt best at the time..

i was surprised the blade rated pretty high, but it felt fantastic

anyway, no golf for a while now :(

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
wow.. that sucks... i had a bout with tendonitis in my wrist earlier this season, but it has cleared up and gone away nicely... hope you get back to golf and make a good recovery..

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Man, that really sucks.

Amazing how some of this stuff happens. Did the doctor say there was anything leading up to it, or just a fluke?

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
That totally blows!!

Last year, the changes in my swing and my overzealous practicing caused me to strain the entire left side of my rib cage. I was out of action for over a month...

Good luck with the recovery!

OP
Fastback

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
Man, that really sucks.

Amazing how some of this stuff happens. Did the doctor say there was anything leading up to it, or just a fluke?

she mentioned that the repetitive movement would have aggrevated it leading up to the strain.. i did mention that i was starting to get some pain on and off even on my left ankle due to the tendency to roll the ankle on the follow through

Ive had ankle sprains 5 or 6 times in the past when i was a kid, so maybe my ligaments arent quite strong there.. i just need to be more careful next time and listen to what my body is telling me

OP
Fastback

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
footballking732, chemboy2.. yeah i suppose it doesnt take much to overdo it and get carried away which leads to injuries, even in this so called "old mans" game

i'm just pissed i cant go out and play a round for a while.. especially since its leading up to the colder months here now, so will miss whats left of the decent weather

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
footballking732, chemboy2.. yeah i suppose it doesnt take much to overdo it and get carried away which leads to injuries, even in this so called "old mans" game

i'm just pissed i cant go out and play a round for a while.. especially since its leading up to the colder months here now, so will miss whats left of the decent weather

i was talking to girl thats friends with me during a goverment class.. i told her my abs were pretty sore from playing 54 holes over the weekend... and she asked me if it was even possible to get injured playing golf?? :hunter: i kept the fact that i thought it was the most ignorant statement in awhile to myself...

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
The older one gets the more likely that sort

of thing is to happen, but it can hit anyone, I suppose. Last summer, I went to a wedding reception and there was plenty to drink and lots of dancing. I forgot I was over sixty and not back in high school or college. Next day, went wading for smallmouth bass on a stream near Columbus, Ohio. More strain on my ankles, but did not feel anything wrong. Then to Pittsburgh, Pa where I was going to play in the National Senior Olympic tournament. First practice round at Deer Run, a nice seventy-four, and I was pumped! Decided to play a second practice round, the day before the three-day event began. Hit some shots at the range, went to the first tee. Took a practice swing and felt a little pain in my right ankle. Addressed the ball, took my swing, and almost fell down on the back-swing from the pain in that ankle. By the time I got to my ball, I was having trouble walking. After putting out on the first hole, I had to be taken back to the clubhouse. There was so much pain, I had to hop on my good foot. Someone saw me, and drove me over to where I got some ice. I limped around with my wife and we got an ankle brace. My ankle was so swollen and pretty painful, but I played anyway though I could not swing very well. 91-85-81=Good Grief! The worse thing though was that each round was taking about six hours!

I got away from that brace as soon as I could. You can get to wear you have to wear them all the time if you are not careful. I coached basketball and we often had ankle injuries. We reduced them considerably by having our players (after wariming up with some running) walk a lap around the gym floor on the outside edges of their feet which will make the ankle stronger.

The best thing I did for getting my own ankle back to normal was to write the alphabet over and over in the air with my big toe of that right foot. Doing so, will put that ankle through about as wide a range of motion as anything, strengthening it in the process. This, of course, is something you do after treatment with ice has taken away the swelling. When the swelling is gone, you can also alternate heat and ice which promotes circulation and healing. Heat when there is still swelling promotes more swelling.

I felt snake-bit with that injury since a year before, I had birdied three of the first four holes in our club championship before suffering a pulled groin that knocked me out of the tournament. The year before it was a back injury, but that was my own stupid fault. I was hitting three or four hundred range balls per session trying desparately to "dig a better game out of the dirt." I have no explanation for the groin pull. I do know this. I do lots of stretching, jogging-walking, and some moderate weight training for prevention purposes, but I think it also helps my game. Concerning the practice range, I have definitely switched to a "quality over quantity mentality" and that too has been beneficial.

Hope you recover soon. The library has a bunch of good golf books worth the reading. Those injuries led to my finding out about those books, and that too has been beneficial. Everyday, even if we do not actually pick up a club, there is something we can do that we improve our games.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
i was talking to girl thats friends with me during a goverment class.. i told her my abs were pretty sore from playing 54 holes over the weekend... and she asked me if it was even possible to get injured playing golf?? :hunter: i kept the fact that i thought it was the most ignorant statement in awhile to myself...

An incredible amount of people are ignorant to golf as a sport. Sadly, there isn't a whole lot we can do about it, but ignore it.

Luckily for myself, I can usually ignore it.

Cypress has it right though (suprise suprise), more likely as you get older, but not restricted to. Last year, as some might recall, I got shin splints and never had any real indication that I would, given that I wasn't golfing anymore than I do anyway. Crap just happens, especially if you have prior injuries. I've got terrible knees and ankles that pronate in. :(

OP
Fastback

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
Cypress has it right though (suprise suprise), more likely as you get older

i'm 31 so i suppose its not age, but as you say, anything can happen

thanks for the tips Cypress.. i have been putting ice on and off and have been propping my leg up with a pillow while lying down. I have been moving around with crutches as well just so i dont aggrevate it

the pain at least has subsided, but still cant really stand on it.. i am from time to time moving my foot around to keep it mobile and to see how far i can go before pain starts..

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
What a great tip! Writing the alphabet every day with your big toe. CP, you never fail to amaze.

BTW - sorry about the injury, Fastback. I hope it heals soon.

OP
Fastback

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
What a great tip! Writing the alphabet every day with your big toe. CP, you never fail to amaze.

BTW - sorry about the injury, Fastback. I hope it heals soon.

it is a great tip!

thanks Eracer, i hope so too

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
An incredible amount of people are ignorant to golf as a sport. Sadly, there isn't a whole lot we can do about it, but ignore it.

Luckily for myself, I can usually ignore it.

i usually dont argue it, but it does get rather annoying.. my last GF said that(and this is a direct quote) she thought golf was for oldand retired people that live in florida. these stereotypical statements also annoy the heck outta me.. along with almost once i week i get in a debate with my roomate about whether golf is more a sport than chess....

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
i usually dont argue it, but it does get rather annoying.. my last GF said that(and this is a direct quote) she thought golf was for oldand retired people that live in florida.

She forgot "wear loud shirts and pants, white shoes and white belts" :laugh:

Reminds me of an old episode of WKRP in Cincinnati (for the old timers here) where Venus or Johnny (?) say's of Herb's clothes... "I thought they outlawed those!" and Herb says "No... No, you can still get them in a pro shop over in Kentucky".

That show was a classic.

:ugly25:

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I've got terrible knees and ankles that pronate in. :(

Welcome to my world. Except that I'm 18. Three broken ankles and torn ligaments in my left from basketball. It's hard for me to balance well in golf because I have, literally, ZERO arch in either of my feet anymore, and I sometimes get a sharp sting of pain up either ankle.

As for golf being a SPORT... I don't think the possibility of injury makes it one. I've been hurt doing laundry. Laundry isn't a sport.

🔥 Latest posts