• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

can't hit anything off the deck.

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
I can't hit anything that is in the fairway. I end up either taking too big of a divot or topping the ball. I hit fine out of the rough. I hit really sell off the tee, but in the fairway, where most of my drives end up, I can't hit anything. What am I doing wrong. Even when I don't move my body at all during the swing I still miss-hit.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Ironically enough, you missed a shitload of keys when typing that message. Maybe it's a depth perception issue.

Sorry, I'm just messing with you. I wish I could help you, but I can't hit a ball with the correct part of the club right now so you sure don't want my advice.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
The club is designed to send the ball up into the air and a certain distance just let it do it's job, dont think just hit it.

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
Ironically enough, you missed a shitload of keys when typing that message. Maybe it's a depth perception issue.

Sorry, I'm just messing with you. I wish I could help you, but I can't hit a ball with the correct part of the club right now so you sure don't want my advice.

I'm having the same problem. I'm thinking my issues have to do with the hard mats I practice on. Do you have a grass range nearby? Do what the pros do. Find a divot and place the ball at the back of the divot. That makes it easier to tell where you are hitting the ground. Focus on a dimple on the back inside half of the ball and go at it. Works for me.

OP
rubber314chicken

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
I'm having the same problem. I'm thinking my issues have to do with the hard mats I practice on. Do you have a grass range nearby? Do what the pros do. Find a divot and place the ball at the back of the divot. That makes it easier to tell where you are hitting the ground. Focus on a dimple on the back inside half of the ball and go at it. Works for me.

I hit off the grass, but its really torn up Often when I wasn't to hit off the deck I'll place a tee really low into the ground so the ball can't roll. I'll have to try that divot trick at the range... too bad I can't do that on a course...

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I was the poster child for not being able to hit a fairway wood off the deck.

What I have learned to do is make a balanced turn and make a full early wrist cock and hit down on the ball. Much better results.

OP
rubber314chicken

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
Are you dropping your left shoulder? :)

I don't think so. I think the only movement I have other than my arms is my shoulder twist. The rest satay still (well, the hips turn a little, but thats because of the shoulder twist)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I've been having the same problem with my (normally reliable) hybrids. I've been topping them a lot. And when I don't top them I get steep and dig into the ground.

It's all about excessive head movement and arm tension. Lighten up your grip and watch the clubhead swoosh through the ball.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Off the deck with my 3w is my best shot, love that damn club. Getting better with my irons, trick for me I learned from Zaphod was concentrate on keeping my back straight & pretty much forget everything else. The more I think, the worse I do. As already mentioned, just step up & hit it.

OP
rubber314chicken

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
well. I got the decending blow technique down, and it worked wonders. I imagined hitting the ball into a cup 6 incheds under grownd and I got a nice flight out of all but my 3 iron (can't hit it well anyways) and my sand wedge now goes an additional 10 yards which is a nice bonus.

and my best club would also have to be my 3w. been using that thing as a driver and I've gotten a few 250 drives with it. Its nice, but off the deck it slices. 5w is best off the deck.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I don't know what those Wilson clubs look like, but I can honestly tell you that everyone who has swung my Burner 3w has loved it. I think it just may be a magical club.

And 1 thing about my 4w, used it a few times today off the deck & damn is the head ever small on it. It actually looks almost like a hybrid in size.

OP
rubber314chicken

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
I don't know what those Wilson clubs look like, but I can honestly tell you that everyone who has swung my Burner 3w has loved it. I think it just may be a magical club.

And 1 thing about my 4w, used it a few times today off the deck & damn is the head ever small on it. It actually looks almost like a hybrid in size.

My Wilson clubs are magic. My friend hit the heel of his driver off the tee, and it rolled about 30 yards into the rough, pretty straight. I teed off with my 3w. Instead of walking up 100 yards to his bag and then back I told him to use mine. He claims he can't hit woods. 200 yards right down the fairway, clearing a tree.

Although I'm sure I'd love some burners, I can't justify the cost.

here is a pic of it at "address"
ai19.ebayimg.com_05_i_001_02_f6_941f_2.JPG
although mine has a few pop up scratches from the previous owner.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
My Wilson clubs are magic. My friend hit the heel of his driver off the tee, and it rolled about 30 yards into the rough, pretty straight. I teed off with my 3w. Instead of walking up 100 yards to his bag and then back I told him to use mine. He claims he can't hit woods. 200 yards right down the fairway, clearing a tree.

Although I'm sure I'd love some burners, I can't justify the cost.

here is a pic of it at "address"
ai19.ebayimg.com_05_i_001_02_f6_941f_2.JPG
although mine has a few pop up scratches from the previous owner.

Damn that thing's pretty. I might not want to hit a tee ball with it for fear of scratching the crown if I get all wonky.

🔥 Latest posts