• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Car Guys...need help

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
What's a high end battery? Die hard?
The longer the warranty, the better the battery. Doesn't necessarily matter what the name brand is as most of them are made in the same 2-3 plants under different names.

Stay away from Optimas. They used to be great batteries, but moved their production to Mexico I think. Since moving, they've gone downhill.

I run O'Reilly AGM batteries in our Jeeps and cars. Cost a little more, but last longer as well and have high cold cranking amps.

Die Hard Platinum is supposed to be a great battery.

I'm active on a couple Jeep sites. Batteries are a big deal to 4wheelers, especially the guys who run extra lights, winches, etc. That's where the above is coming from.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Just got back from giving the terminals a cleaning. They were in pretty good shape actually, hardly any corrosion. My wife should be home shortly, going to try a jump start.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Wife got home, hooked up the jumper cables and the car fired right up!

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Car started again perfectly today and the battery guage on the dash is reading over 14? So, Im confused. I guess I will take it to Walmart today, see if they can test it (only place open on a Holiday Sunday).

As for a volt meter, would that tell me if the battery is good or not? Thinking I may grab one while at WalMart. Any suggestions what to get? :)

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
Sometimes the terminals can work loose over time. I'd say if your showing 13.8 volts you had a poor connection and taking it off cleaning and proper tightening along with the jump fixed your problem. Just keep an eye on your volt gauge.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Sometimes the terminals can work loose over time. I'd say if your showing 13.8 volts you had a poor connection and taking it off cleaning and proper tightening along with the jump fixed your problem. Just keep an eye on your volt gauge.
That's kind if what I am thinking. I had planned on getting a new battery today, but think i am going to hold off.

Thanks!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
With the car running the volt meter is showing your alternator output voltage which should be higher than 13. If its showing over 13 with the car off something is very wrong.

A fully charged 12v battery should show 12.8v on the meter. Anything less than 12.5 is bad.

This won't show a breakdown under load though which is what auto zone does.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
With the car running the volt meter is showing your alternator output voltage which should be higher than 13. If its showing over 13 with the car off something is very wrong.

A fully charged 12v battery should show 12.8v on the meter. Anything less than 12.5 is bad.

This won't show a breakdown under load though which is what auto zone does.
Shows over 13 with the car running. I took it out for a drive last night after the jump start and today it fired up no problem. Thinking on Tuesday I will take it to Napa or Autozone and have the battery checked.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Car started again perfectly today and the battery guage on the dash is reading over 14? So, Im confused. I guess I will take it to Walmart today, see if they can test it (only place open on a Holiday Sunday).

As for a volt meter, would that tell me if the battery is good or not? Thinking I may grab one while at WalMart. Any suggestions what to get? :)
Spend the bucks at Lowes or Home Depot and get a higher grade for use around the home. I wouldnt trust a cheap chinese knock off you could get away with on 12v dc around a 125 amp ac fuse panel.

Cars will show up to 14.5v potential to ensure you have at least 12v potential fully loaded.

At your house you often will see 117-123v ac to ensure 110v potential is available to your devices.

Lotsa numbers in here but those higher numbers for both cars and houses are normal and required.

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts