• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Car guys...need some tire help

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Took my '04 Buick Rainier in to get inspected today and well it won't pass! I was actualy thinking on the way in that its about time for some new tires and sure enough, tread to low to pass inspection.

Anyway, off to tire shop. I have had the car for 7 years. It came with Michelins on it, when I replaced the tires about 4.5 yrs ago, I put Michelins on it again. Both times I have gotten about 60-65K miles out of the tires. They are expensive but I don't mind paying more if I am going to get 4-5 years out of them. So, thinking Michelins again. Any other brands I should consider? Bridgestone? Goodyear?

As always, thanks in advance!

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
I spent 22 years in the auto repair and tire business and my advice is buy the most tire you can afford. Not only does the tire generally last longer, but the ride quality is more likely to last the entire life of the tire. Ride quality of cheaper tires falls off at a greater rate. with that being said there used to be a big gap between some tire brands but I don't see that anymore.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I spent 22 years in the auto repair and tire business and my advice is buy the most tire you can afford. Not only does the tire generally last longer, but the ride quality is more likely to last the entire life of the tire. Ride quality of cheaper tires falls off at a greater rate. with that being said there used to be a big gap between some tire brands but I don't see that anymore.
So basically a high end tire from Michelin, Goodyear etc will all be close to each other?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
The michelins that came on my car lasted 22k and would have cost 206 per tire plus install to replace. **** that.

I know a lot of people that really like them, but that put a real bad taste in my mouth. Really like continental extreme contact DWS. Like i said though, when your spending good money on tires, use what you know works well.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The michelins that came on my car lasted 22k and would have cost 206 per tire plus install to replace. **** that.

I know a lot of people that really like them, but that put a real bad taste in my mouth. Really like continental extreme contact DWS. Like i said though, when your spending good money on tires, use what you know works well.
It wouldn't have been my first choice, the last time I replaced them it was $1100 for 4 tires, mounting and balancing. But then they lasted 4.5 yrs and I got 63k miles on them. It's hard to argue with that. The ones I am looking at now that are Michelin are 226 per tire with 65k warranty.

Everything just seems like a crapshoot these days!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I've always had good luck with Bridgestone. All I have ever owned is trucks though, I'm clueless about car tires.

Wayneo

From the bunker
Dec 31, 2008
I'd suggest you go to to tirerack . com and check out the tire sizes that fit your car. They have reviews from thousands of users in wear, ride, etc. On my vehicles I've got two sets of Bridgestone's one set of Michelin, and one set of BFGoodrich. I like the Michelin's the least, as I can get tons of Mileage ~65k, but if you just say the words 'rain' or 'dirt' they lose traction on pavement.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'd suggest you go to to tirerack . com and check out the tire sizes that fit your car. They have reviews from thousands of users in wear, ride, etc. On my vehicles I've got two sets of Bridgestone's one set of Michelin, and one set of BFGoodrich. I like the Michelin's the least, as I can get tons of Mileage ~65k, but if you just say the words 'rain' or 'dirt' they lose traction on pavement.
That's interesting. I live in Vermont and have had no traction issues with the Michelins, and we get some nasty stuff up here.

Even this winter when apparently my tires were essentially bald I ha no issues.

I have checked out Tirerack though, lots of good info!

Gaijin_Golfer

Feb 5, 2013
Columbus, OH
Country
Im a big Bridgestone fan. Great tires, IMO. They have great traction, last a long, long time and are very quiet.
I personally wouldnt waste my money on Michelins. IMO, they dont offer the rain/snow traction that Bridgestones do and the quality of Goodyears has never impressed me.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.