• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Carded a 77 and it was beaten by....

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
... ME!!!!! As I've related before, on ShotTalk, my son-in-law and I have some pretty good matches. We both play in the same group of regulars on weekend mornings. This morning, he had a good round... carding a 77. I birdied 18, carded a 76, and beat him by one stroke.

It's difficult to believe we are still playing golf on soft fairways, December 15th. There have been past years when we were shut down with snow by early December. And, even if we are still playing, we usually find hard, frozen fairways by this time. Our weather has been unseasonally warm. We are in a devestating drought. We have been moisture free, including snow. So, the course is playing pretty similar to any other day of the year.

I had a couple rounds, this year, in the upper 70's. Only a few and fewer than in past years. Seemed like I just stayed in that 81 to 85 range, boringly consistent. Can't remember for sure, but think it's been 2 or 3 seasons since carding a 76!!!!

Started out with a birdie on the long par 5 first hole. Hit the driver extremely well. Made some long putts from the edge of the green that I could never have made twice in a row. My cart partner was keeping score and told me the SIL and I were tied after 17. 18 is another long par 5. He was on in 3, with about a 15 footer for bird. I was off the green, on the fringe, probably 30 feet from the hole. Decided to putt from the fringe and rolled the putt in for my birdie. That "squeezed" the hole down for him and he left his birdie putt about a foot short. Beat him by one!!!

At 66 years old, I know the number of low scoring rounds are going to become less and less. It is unbelievable the mental boost this ugly white driver has given me. I AM up there with the "flat bellies", hitting shorter clubs to the greens that earlier in the season. For a few rounds, I stuck the 5-iron back in the bag, filling a gap between the 5h and the 6 iron. That put 15 clubs in the bag which drew verbal jabs from a couple in the group. Found I didn't use that iron much, even though I perceived a gap. Pulled it back out of the bag last week, assuming I would do something with the hybrids over the winter. Shot an 80 yesterday and the 76 today... with 3 birdies today. I may leave the bag as is and just play.........

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Well done! Feels good to beat a close competitor like that. Majors are won or lost by a stroke! So good on ya!!

Victory

Nov 18, 2007
looks like your mind is in a good state- leave the bag alone also :) good playing

🔥 Latest posts