• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Career Change

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
You have many productive years ahead of you. In today's environment, however, once you reach the upper 40's to early 50's, your marketablity can be diminished.

All depends on the field you are in obviously. I'm 50 and have no fear of losing marketability because of my trade which is the plastics extrusion field, Coming up on 26 yrs between blown film and flat sheet extrusion and it's not a job just anyone can do nor ar there any schools. Proven and dependable operators are always in demand as it's also basically a recession proof industry.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
The career change I am possibly looking at is going from carpenter to being a safety manager on a huge construction site. They already have an office type safety director, but need a boots on the ground type to physically walk around and ensure people are wearing their PPE and tying off if needed. Stuff like that. Filling out reports on what I see and how to improve safety. Companies are really going proactive on safety these days and partnering with OSHA rather than avoiding them. I'm hoping to use this (if it happens) as a stepping stone towards a safety director position with a large company such as Bechtel. I'm also really hoping to go to school for business management while working the safety manager job to help achieve my goal of becoming a safety director or project manager. Does that sound like a lot for a 34 yr old with 4 kids?

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The career change I am possibly looking at is going from carpenter to being a safety manager on a huge construction site. They already have an office type safety director, but need a boots on the ground type to physically walk around and ensure people are wearing their PPE and tying off if needed. Stuff like that. Filling out reports on what I see and how to improve safety. Companies are really going proactive on safety these days and partnering with OSHA rather than avoiding them. I'm hoping to use this (if it happens) as a stepping stone towards a safety director position with a large company such as Bechtel. I'm also really hoping to go to school for business management while working the safety manager job to help achieve my goal of becoming a safety director or project manager. Does that sound like a lot for a 34 yr old with 4 kids?
A lot? Yes, but if you know what you want you will find time to make it happen, especially if its for the betterment of your family.

Me, still not 100% sure what I want to be when I grow up. Still kicking around the idea of teaching.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Jim -

I have two friends here in Iowa that both quit their jobs andbecame teachers. One in Cedar Rapids, and one in Solon...They both entered it to get away from the headaches of high pressure business and wanted to help kids...etc.

The one in Cedar Rapids is somewhat frustrated, but she coaches the girls cross country, basketball and volleyball team...so she is doing "ok" for now.

However, my buddy who started teaching in Solon hated it and quit after two semesters...he had to constantly dip into his own pockets to get supplies for the kids, the hours were demanding and the pay was probably about 1/3 of what he was making as a co-worker.

IMO Teachers and nurses are probably the two most demanding , underpaid and under-appreciated professions out there...I respect all of them...but I could never do it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Well, I don't know a lot about the walkout. I have been out of the teaching profession for a long time. I can say that I am not a fan of unions in any way or shape, which most of you probably don't believe considering my strong stance on social issues.

Anyhow - education is one of those tough areas, that needs govt funding to operate, therefore the pay is going to suck, therefore the best and brightest aren't going to be in those positions therefore there is no real incentive to work harder to climb, therefore unions are needed to guarantee the success of the worker.

I prefer the private sector where you earn what you are worth on the market.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Well, I don't know a lot about the walkout. I have been out of the teaching profession for a long time. I can say that I am not a fan of unions in any way or shape, which most of you probably don't believe considering my strong stance on social issues.

Anyhow - education is one of those tough areas, that needs govt funding to operate, therefore the pay is going to suck, therefore the best and brightest aren't going to be in those positions therefore there is no real incentive to work harder to climb, therefore unions are needed to guarantee the success of the worker.

That situation amounted to the teachers wanted something like a 30% pay increase over the next 4 years, but refused to submit to being evaluated in any way. So they walked out and left something like 50,000 kids out of school for a few days.

When you say govt funding, do you mean federal? I ask because the scenario you describe is what's happening, but does it have to be that way? Why can't schools be controlled locally? And teachers be hired/kept/paid based on qualifications and performance? Do they really NEED unions or can they strive to be better and control their own destiny because the incentive IS there?

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa

Ya know, I think you and I are very similar....when I was a kid, growing up with a dad who was in a union, I was all for it....but these days, with all the federal and local regulations...it seems as if people are already covered by the government.......as if unions are not only not needed...but now have gone in the opposite direction and are in place just to make money for themselves....

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
That situation amounted to the teachers wanted something like a 30% pay increase over the next 4 years, but refused to submit to being evaluated in any way. So they walked out and left something like 50,000 kids out of school for a few days.

When you say govt funding, do you mean federal? I ask because the scenario you describe is what's happening, but does it have to be that way? Why can't schools be controlled locally? And teachers be hired/kept/paid based on qualifications and performance? Do they really NEED unions or can they strive to be better and control their own destiny because the incentive IS there?

They are funded state/local with some federal programs I think.

Where I grew up and worked it was provincial funding - way underfunded, and I made something like 30k. It was nowhere near what I should have been paid, and perhaps unions helped increase pay and benefits since then, but I agree that it should be more like private sector where the teachers are paid based on their performance, not years of service or how many letters they have after their name. Problem is - there is no funding to do that, and the union would never allow it since half the teachers wouldn't make the cut.

There are lots of great teachers out there, and unfortunately lots of shitty ones that are protected by unions.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004

The most hated man on the site....LOL! Seriously, those guys are pricks. I had one who loved to snap pictures of the most inane violations (like no hard hat in finished spaces) and issue fines (which seemed more important than getting the job done) Then there was the cord cutter, the smoking on site guy and the guy who ran the safety video for the new guys coming on the job....you get to hand out stickers though. :)

On the other hand, it beats unemployment.

🔥 Latest posts