• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Career Change

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
The most hated man on the site....LOL! Seriously, those guys are pricks. I had one who loved to snap pictures of the most inane violations (like no hard hat in finished spaces) and issue fines (which seemed more important than getting the job done) Then there was the cord cutter, the smoking on site guy and the guy who ran the safety video for the new guys coming on the job....you get to hand out stickers though. :)

On the other hand, it beats unemployment.
I hear ya. They are a nuisance in a lot of ways. BUT, I have taken some OSHA classes and worked on a power plant job site where the stakes are much higher as far as a small mistake taking lives (working with cranes and pieces that wiegh 50 tons). As much PPE as you can put on and you still don't feel safe sometimes on jobs like that. I also took some classes that showed in #'s how one death or injury can put a job behind or even a company out of business. My mind has changed. I will accept being hated if I can be a part of making sure everyone goes home to their family at night. The job I may be going to is bigger than power plant scale but similar style construction so I feel like I have some insight into potential hazards. I was one of the guys who used to be laxed and not aware of everything around me. I want to help bring those habits to peoples attention.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I was thinking a Blunderbluss seeing as you never mentioned hating those:cool:
Couldn't fit it into my briefcase and if I carry it it would make it difficult to carry my coffee!

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I spent 22 years in the auto business and the last 2 in manufacturing and I have yet to see a OSHA inspector.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I spent 22 years in the auto business and the last 2 in manufacturing and I have yet to see a OSHA inspector.
I've been involved in construction about 9 years or so and I have seen enough of them. I think probably because construction is not such a controlled environment like manufacturing. You don't show up to the same place with the same coworkers and same boss every day. Harder for a company to have a company wide policy and enforce it when they have jobs everywhere and a fluctuating workforce.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country

26 yrs in my current field and same here, never a single OSHA inspector. However my company does have their own internal safety audit team who follows OSHA guidelines, she came in and was going gang busters and making life miserable. I'm all for safety but for christ sake she wanted so many guards that we literally would not be able to run the lines any longer. We shortly after her visit to us she was canned for a variety of reason one of which was cost based. Split her job up and give the repsonsibilities to 3-4 different people throughout the organization.

That's one thing about being safety, ISO, Six Sigma, etc related, you can be cut loose in a heartbeat to save some $$$.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
In this day and age anybody anywhere can be cut loose in a heartbeat to save cash.

In construction they are starting to see, (being in an accident prone industry) that it's cheaper to do whatever necessary to avoid deaths/injuries because insurance companies and lawsuits can be a real beyotch. I've been on at least two jobs that had a seemingly endless budget for safety.

For instance, a lot of customers are requiring that the trades workers be OSHA 30 trained and First Aid/CPR/AED trained to even be on the job at all.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I sit in an office with 90 other people who have never even been in the field, and we are all required to have 10 hrs of OSHA training every year. My company flies the director of safety all over the world to present the training to a bunch of engineers and admin staff.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Man I love being retired!

OSHA inspectors rarely do inspections now. They go by how many injuries there are before stopping by. Then they work with the company safety team as to what corrections or changes are being made to correct the problem.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Jim, you ever think about teaching at a jr college?
Most of those require at least a Bachelors if not a masters degree. At least around here anyway.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
It was about 45 min from me, i have a couple of friends that work there. The kid used a shotgun, "assault" weapon ban wouldn't have done anything.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
It was about 45 min from me, i have a couple of friends that work there. The kid used a shotgun, "assault" weapon ban wouldn't have done anything.
Let's not get that started again! :)

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
All joking aside, there was a-frickin-nother school shooting today. Surprisingly, Jim... you may actually be safer working at a bank!
I don't know, we were robbed twice in one week last year.

🔥 Latest posts