• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cars

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So my wife and I may be in the market for a new car. Nothing wild, 4 door sedan. Currently driving an 06 Impala. We got a good deal but I feel like we put a lot of money towards repairs each year.

So, what do you/your wife have? Likes and dislikes? Repair history-meaning lots or not to bad-I don't mean wear items, just repairs in general.

And of course recommendations!

Thanks!

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
We have a 2011 Chevy HHR (wife's) and a 2007 ford Escape (mine). The HHR is a little small, but perfect for chugging around Phoenix. We use the Escape when we go out of town. First Ford I've owned since a 1965 Mustang back in college and I love it.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Different situation than you as we have a circus but I drive a 2007 Infiniti QX56 and my wife has a 2013 Chrysler a Town and Country. Both are comfortable and great people movers. No issues out of either.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
So my wife and I may be in the market for a new car. Nothing wild, 4 door sedan. Currently driving an 06 Impala. We got a good deal but I feel like we put a lot of money towards repairs each year.

So, what do you/your wife have? Likes and dislikes? Repair history-meaning lots or not to bad-I don't mean wear items, just repairs in general.

And of course recommendations!

Thanks!
Mercedes benz and vw went together and invented the TDI turbo diesel. The mercedes bluetecs have this engine and i believe the e250 is the sedan that gets 42 hwy mpg. This is mileage like a prius hybrid but in a big mans ride.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I personally like the chrysler minivan that has the stow-n-go seating. The whole interior folds up into a flat floor.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Mercedes benz and vw went together and invented the TDI turbo diesel. The mercedes bluetecs have this engine and i believe the e250 is the sedan that gets 42 hwy mpg. This is mileage like a prius hybrid but in a big mans ride.
My wife would live a Mercedes. She's not getting one. :)

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Wife has a 2009 Honda CR-V. Great mileage for a small SUV, over all a really great little car.

Oldest daughter has a 2007 Grand Cherokee. Average mileage, but still a fantastic vehicle. GC's are the most highly awarded SUV on the market.

Oldest stepson has a 2008 Rav4. No problems while we've had it (bought it used), he gets close to 30 on the highway, again great little car/crossover/whatever it is.

From 2001 - 2012 I drove identical 2001 and 2006 Yukon XL's. If you can stand the gas mileage, there is nothing better IMHO given the amount of space and how comfortable they are. If I had the money, I'd be driving one now.

As you can see, we're not into cars. My younger stepson is probably going to get a hand me down 2002 Trailblazer of my dad's (because he loves the thing), my younger daughter is getting 1 of about 8 different small SUV's (Jeep Liberty or Compass, Kia Sorento, Chevy Equinox small body, etc...) depending on price and how many miles they have when it's time to buy her a car this winter.

I would recommend any of the 4 vehicles listed above.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
We have 2010 Malibu and love it. The only thing that annoys me is the sound system. Doesn't pop but I wow recommend this vehicle.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
We have 2010 Malibu and love it. The only thing that annoys me is the sound system. Doesn't pop but I wow recommend this vehicle.

My major beef with Chevy is they use the cheapest ass materials for their interiors, they look like $hit within a couple years.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Wife has a 2009 Honda CR-V. Great mileage for a small SUV, over all a really great little car.

Oldest daughter has a 2007 Grand Cherokee. Average mileage, but still a fantastic vehicle. GC's are the most highly awarded SUV on the market.

Oldest stepson has a 2008 Rav4. No problems while we've had it (bought it used), he gets close to 30 on the highway, again great little car/crossover/whatever it is.

From 2001 - 2012 I drove identical 2001 and 2006 Yukon XL's. If you can stand the gas mileage, there is nothing better IMHO given the amount of space and how comfortable they are. If I had the money, I'd be driving one now.

As you can see, we're not into cars. My younger stepson is probably going to get a hand me down 2002 Trailblazer of my dad's (because he loves the thing), my younger daughter is getting 1 of about 8 different small SUV's (Jeep Liberty or Compass, Kia Sorento, Chevy Equinox small body, etc...) depending on price and how many miles they have when it's time to buy her a car this winter.

I would recommend any of the 4 vehicles listed above.
We are not really car people either. I drive a 10-year-old Buick Rainier and her car is eight years old.

I'm really just looking for something safe and reliable. Haven't thought of the CRV, thanks!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.