• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cart GPS

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
So my three buddies and I go to an upscale course yesterday to play a round of golf.

Due to the hilly conditions and many blind spots, the carts use a GPS system that you simply push the button for it to read out how far you are from the center of the green.

THis was giving me fits...the first time I needed it was when I felt I was on the other side of a hill...I figured 140-150 yards out. GPS said 112 away....hmmm

Okay, pull out a P-wedge and promptly hit is 30 yards short.

Get to another hole I figure I'm about 180-200 out and GPS said 149. I'm thinking no way...but I grab my 8 iron and am again, about 40 yards short of the green!

Then there was a par 3 where at the TEE box it sai 178....the GPS says 211....I'm asking my buddies if this course has chaged and maybe that haven't upgraded the tee boxes or something? they don't know.

So I figured instead or erring on the short side, I'll go with the GPS...and sailed over the green with my 24* Hybrid!

Now, I'm getting ticked and decided to go by "Feel alone"...and I started putting in decent scores...we now are quite aways away on a long par five...I am thinking 200 yards, max...freakin GPS says 256!! What! I figure maybe the hole levels out and the green is further back where we can't see.

I hit my 3-wood as about as pure as I can and we lost it...it apparently flew over the green (which incidentally was on top of the hill)...and landed near the tee box a good 30 yards past the green.

Screw it.

We finished up and the lil pimply faced kid who greets and cleans the clubs asked how we liked the course and I told him the course was nice but the GPS system sucked...totally inaccurate...he said: "You're kidding"?

I said look...right now we are no more than 50 yards from #18 green and lets see what the GPS says...425!!! 425!!! Now YOU tell me that's correct???

Go ahead...I"m waiting...

Kid looks at the screen and says: "Sir, you've been hitting the button for the TIME...not the GPS".

This one killed me :) but I got to give the credit to chollyred as he emailed it to me.

And cholly? never got the details on how the golf went at myrtle an ormand beaches?

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Oh man. I'm reading this post as I sit on the train ride into the city. I laughed out loud at the pimply faced kids response.

Sorry to hear that you're round of golf was off due to the GPS system. The only GPS system carts I've used didn't even have a time button. It would simply read the yardage to the pin from anywhere on thhe hole.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Oh man. I'm reading this post as I sit on the train ride into the city. I laughed out loud at the pimply faced kids response.

Sorry to hear that you're round of golf was off due to the GPS system. The only GPS system carts I've used didn't even have a time button. It would simply read the yardage to the pin from anywhere on thhe hole.

This was a joke. Didn't really happen. Not that it matters.
icon11.gif

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
And cholly? never got the details on how the golf went at myrtle an ormand beaches?

Man! I suck at golf!

Played twice in Myrtle Beach and twice in Florida. Due to course conditions and price ($25 w/cart), I played Wachesaw East twice in Myrtle Beach. The first day, I was slicing everything right. Unfortunately, most hole have water on the right side. I bet I lost a dozen balls that day. No matter what I tried, I couldn't straighten it out. The 2nd day, trying to avoid the slice (and water), I started hooking everything into the trees on the left side. Only lost 1 ball though. Just couldn't recover from my mistakes. One of the guys I played with was the #1 player for the Murray State golf team (Jerry Price). He'd make you sick to watch. When we missed a drive, we were in the woods or a hazard. When he missed a drive, it was 5 yards off the centerline.

Did get to see a red-tailed hawk nail and eat a duck. He sat there in the fairway and ate while we all watched. One of the course workers drove up next to him and took pictures with his cell phone camera. Didn't phase the hawk at all. He just looked like "If you mees with my duck, I'll tear your head off next!"

In Florida, I met up with a guy from Golf Rewound and his buddy at the Legends Course at LPGA International. Beautiful course. Played the 1st 3 holes real well. While on the 4th tee, we heard the roll of thunder. Looked at the GPS and they had closed the course due to lightning. We hustled back to the grill to wait it out. Turned out to be about a 2 hour delay. While talking to some of the guys around the grill, I noticed a guy with a Murray State golf bag. It turned out to be Jerry Price's roomate Mark Brandt. When they let us back out, it was slightly raining. Rained on us the rest of the round. I found out that I cannot play in the rain. I can't hold a club. On the 15th-16th hole while we were putting out, we looked back and saw a wild turkey cross the fairway about 30 yards from the green.

The 2nd day in Florida, I met the same two guys at Turnbull Bay golf course in New Smyrna Beach. The course was about burned. The greens were in horrible shape. I've never hit the ball so well in my life. I was hitting 15-20 yards further than usual. Unfortunately, I wasn't used to it and was over cooking my distances. I'd hit into a couple of lakes and creeks that I didn't think I could reach, or I'd hit the back side of a green and get a bounce into the woods. Only managed to lose a couple of balls, but left myself some horrible pitches back to the green. Lost many strokes around the green getting caught up in the bermuda rough. While on this course, got to see an eagle carrying a huge fish that he'd caught.

All-in-all, I played like crap, but had a really good time.

I'm about ready to get out again. As soon as I can, I'll give you a hollar.

OP
DouginGA

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005

All-in-all, I played like crap, but had a really good time.

I'm about ready to get out again. As soon as I can, I'll give you a hollar.

Crappy play or not a day golfing is better than a day working!!!

lets touch bases in a week or too chuck and hit the ball.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.