• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

CCW for Wisconsin?

What is your stance on Concealed Carry?

• Pro Concealed Carry

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • Anti Concealed Carry

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Dont Care

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
GOOD NEWS(for the 23 people that voted Pro on this poll)!!!!

Concealed Carry Legislation has passed the Senate(25-8) and is being picked up and voted on by the Assembly later this week(hopefully Thursday).

It is expected to pass the Assembly and the Governor is expected to Sign it.

Specifics -
- Training and a permit are required. 5 year renewal on the permit.
- If you are able to purchase a handgun, you are able to carry(meaning you're not a felon or otherwise unable to own a handgun).
- Vehicle laws were changed slightly to allow for carrying in vehicles
- Property owners may post signs disallowing people from carrying weapons on their property.
- 1000' Gun Free School Zones are lifted for permit holders(cannot carry on school property, just the 1000' rule is lifted for permit holders only)
- Open carry still available

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I can live with the way the CC law went down. The initial version with no permitting and training was not my cup of tea.

Hunter safety courses are also IMO good. A attempt at getting the public trained with gun safety is a good thing. Avid shooters will find the course redundant but perhaps they can give advice to the rookies in the class. There are clueless among us refuting Darwinism.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I don't believe the permitting and training are going to change the numbers of people carrying to any measurable degree. Those are pretty much 'feel good' parts of the law. There are several states which have laws considered 'Constitutional Carry' and there doesn't seem to be any problems what so ever.

I've heard it a lot that 'There are a lot of idiots out there'. Yeah, i understand that, but those idiots are already carrying and i highly doubt they're going to bother paying money to get a permit to do what they're already doing. When confronted with that statement(talking to people at work), they suggest they aren't worried about the people carrying illegally. So they're not worried about criminals carrying, but they are worried about law abiding citizens carrying? I just don't get some people's logic.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
The people I think need the training are the ones with NO experience with firearms but are not willing to do the time and effort in learning proper firearm control.

I've seen way too many people pointing a barrel of a gun in inappropriate direction. Prime example is someone unloading a lever action Winchester 94 30-30. Pointing the gun at their feet or worse in the direction of other hunting partners while cranking on the lever. That trigger is so easy to trip and the safety is not engaged. Same gun. Rather than having the hammer in safety I've seen it resting on the firing pin. Loaded. Not good. (That is the person I say is challenging Darwin's evolution theory).

Any training in respecting the firearm is good here.

I've grew up with guns in my house. Second nature to use them and respect them. My biggest fear is not the willful use of a weapon but the accidental misuse of the same.
Best advice out there---Know your target and beyond!!!!! Treat every firearm as loaded!!!!!! The training course I have in mind does not teach morals.

eclark----I've seen how well you research your activities and quite comfortable with you and CC. It's those people that figure the act of paying for a weapon is the only right of passage required that trouble me. The same safety course ( a one timer) for a gun hunting license is my public policy. I'd require/suggest criminals do the same---no I reverse my position. Let them learn the hard way.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I agree with you in the training category for guns in general.

I wish there were a firearms handling course of some type in public schools. Not the 'Guns are bad, don't touch them, they will kill you' class either. We all know how well abstinence classes work. Too many feel gooder soccer mom types out there for this to happen though.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Man that's awesome for you Wisconsin guys...here in Maryland I can't even "legally" transport my firearm anywhere other than to a shooting range and home (no stops). I'll leave this state in 10 years and the first thing I'll do in my new home state is get a CCW.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
The Ink has dried!!!

Now...the LONG wait till November 1 when we can start applying for permits. Then the even longer wait till we receive said permit and are able to carry.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
From what the Milwaukee Sentinel published today the DNR's hunter safety course will suffice for training. I've taken the course voluntarily. Grandfather clause exempted me but I figured "why not?". Overall a pretty good course.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
From what the Milwaukee Sentinel published today the DNR's hunter safety course will suffice for training. I've taken the course voluntarily. Grandfather clause exempted me but I figured "why not?". Overall a pretty good course.

That's correct. Hunters safety does satisfy the training requirement under the new law.

Members online