• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cell phones?????

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
What cell phone provider do you have? How long have you been with that provider? Would you recommend that provider?

What is your opinion of giving up the land line phone and just going to cell phones?

Wife and I are contemplating doing away with our land line phone and just going with cell phones. I have unlimited cell phone use with my Blackberry, provided by my employer. My wife's cell phone is an antique and is due for replacement anyway. We've only had local service for the past 7 years on our land line. Use cell phones for all long-distance. Could cancel the land line and, putting that money with her current cell phone plan, have her a new phone and pretty exhaustive plan.

Opinions???? Comments?????

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
My wife and I have no land line. It was cheaper for us to get cable internet and do away with it, so that's what we did. The only concern I would have is that if your cell is an employers, and you change jobs, you lose that number. But, since you both have cells, and you are hen pecked, then I suppose its not a problem.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
If you are within Sprint's coverage area (you can find out on their website), then they are the best value by FAR. 30-40%+ cheaper than Verizon, with better features. $70 a month for a near-unlimited BlackBerry plan.

Verizon, however, is the ticket if you need coverage everywhere, period. I've never been anywhere that I didn't have coverage with my VZN phone (currently a blackberry). However, if I wasn't getting a substantial discount, I'd be paying over $100 a month for 450 minutes and my data plan + messaging features. At Sprint, I'd pay $70, with unlimited calling to ALL mobile phones and all the features I have now.

Verizon and Alltel (where it still exists) use a different technology versus AT&T (and Sprint, I think) that seems to pick up substantially better across the USA. Verizon does NOT work outside of the country, whereas I believe you could use your AT&T phone globally due to the technology they use, if you really wanted to.

Walmart carries a track-phone brand called "Straight Talk" now, as well. $45 a month for unlimited everything, no questions askes, inside the continental United States; calling, messaging, AND internet. You'd have to pay more for the phone, and the phones are nothing like the Blackberry, but if it's enough for what she needs, you will not find a better deal. Their national coverage is excellent, and they work off of Verizon's prepaid coverage network (which you can find on VZN's website).

Straight-Talk is a no-contract plan as well. You buy a refill card every month that you want to continue your service. You CAN port whatever number you have now to this phone. I have heard tell that ST's customer service is outsourced and a bit flakey, but that the value is unbeatable once you get things rolling. It's definitely what I'd be going with if I didn't love my blackberry.

Kumabjorn

Oct 30, 2009
Out of curiosity; Does any of you guys access this board thru a cell phone?

I am right now in the throes of convincing myself that I should splurge on an iPhone, one reason being its surfing capacity.

20 PAT's

Jun 21, 2009
I use a Blackberry Storm with upgraded software. Verizon coverage is good in the NorthEast....

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
Out of curiosity; Does any of you guys access this board thru a cell phone?

I am right now in the throes of convincing myself that I should splurge on an iPhone, one reason being its surfing capacity.

why iPhone? a Droid powered Motorola is right up there with the iPhone. it`s as good or better.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Verizon does not work in my town, get about 2 miles outside & coverage just goes dead. Also in Sauk county as well as on the Wisconsin river it's useless as well. We got rid of the land line 5 years ago, had Cingular/AT&T for a number of years, coverage here in town was spotty at best but in Italy on top of the Alps it rocked.

Now we have US Cellular & for us it's the best, unlimited calling & works anyplace we have ever been. Calling out of Mexico was no issues either.

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
My wife and kid each have a cell. Me? No f-ing way. I'm simply not that busy or important enough to have the need to be contacted 24/7.

Screw cell phones, worst invention ever.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
why iPhone? a Droid powered Motorola is right up there with the iPhone. it`s as good or better.

Surfing is great, but be prepared for it to be slow. Even when my wife is on 3g it sometimes takes awhile for pages to load etc.

I have AT&T, had for about a yr now. Really had no choice in the deal they bought out Unicel which was my provider b4 that. I don't know if they are national or not. Prior to that I was with Verizon for like 8yrs. In Vermont you just kinda accept that you won't get coverage everywhere or even alot of places-AT&T has better coverage than Verizon here but that's only because they bought the oldest provider in the state so in turn got towers that verizon can't go near. It's getting better. I have no complaints about AT&T, I don't have a landline anymore. I have more rollover minutes than I will ever use (like 1200 and that's with the smallest family package).

Gotta watch the bill though. Its tough to read (like 8pgs long) and when you call with a question on a charge half the time even the rep can't explain why it's there-they usually end up taking it off.

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
What cell phone provider do you have? How long have you been with that provider? Would you recommend that provider?

What is your opinion of giving up the land line phone and just going to cell phones?

Wife and I are contemplating doing away with our land line phone and just going with cell phones. I have unlimited cell phone use with my Blackberry, provided by my employer. My wife's cell phone is an antique and is due for replacement anyway. We've only had local service for the past 7 years on our land line. Use cell phones for all long-distance. Could cancel the land line and, putting that money with her current cell phone plan, have her a new phone and pretty exhaustive plan.

Opinions???? Comments?????

Q1-Verizon
Q2-Since 1998
Q3-Yes
Q4-Have not had a landline since 1998
Q5-Opinions/Comments - (whew, reminded me of the SAT tests lol)

i just moved from long island to plano texas and had to actually go through the steps of getting an apt vs living with friends and roomates who did all the formal stuff for the past 10 years -

so i looked into all the bundles of tv/phone/internet/wireless from time warner/dish network/att/direct tv/clear/roadrunner/sprint and passed on all of them. for the first month i lived here i was able to pick up a neighbors wifi and it wasnt a real issue until they decided to move the unit and give me 1 bar instead of 5 =(. But just in time i was able to get my HTC droid incredible phone thru verizon wireless. yes the phone is amazing, email is right there when i need it, text messages store as conversations, 8mega pix camera, soon there will be a v1 golf app i can teach with. im ecstatic about it. the web pages load fast and quick, i can view every website i need to with it so far, youtube/facebook/and internet forums/boards are easy. but i did need to surf the web at home. vzw offered a $29/month add on for tethering to the phone that i wasnt too keen on paying. im already at $40 for 450mins + $10 for 500txt + $30 for the smartphone = $80/month. so i found this impressive app called pdanet by june fabrics (its avail for all smartphones) that allows you to tether your smartphone via cable or wirelessly bluetooth to your laptop and surf the web for free - its free to use for 2 weeks then $19 to buy and im very impressed with it. i get 2-3mb/s speed download and 1mb/s upload per speedtest.net and more importantly i get to surf the web, take phone calls on skype, and watch tv all thru my computer -(lots of justin.tv type of websites stream live footage nowadays, i havent missed anything i wanted to see sporting wise)

theres another app called txt+ that i hear good things about to cut out that $10/month text charge as well but i havent looked into it fully.

Michael

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Verizon. Best coverage there is and good deals. I've been with three others and the worst thing is trying to call someone and having no coverage in that area.

We also contemplated getting rid of the land line thing but now have an ATT package with no charges for long distance and very low cable charges.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I guess it really depends on where you live. Here in Mississippi, Verizon and Sprint have the $hittiest coverage, ATT or Cellular South have the best, with ATT being the most expensive.

As far as a land line goes, if you hate the idea of giving it up completely, look into MajicJack, $19.95 a year, $39.99 to buy the modem deal and the 1st years service.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Verizon. Best coverage there is and good deals. I've been with three others and the worst thing is trying to call someone and having no coverage in that area.

We also contemplated getting rid of the land line thing but now have an ATT package with no charges for long distance and very low cable charges.

Verizon is only good in wisconsin if you are around the major cities....in my city(and from what i have seen riding with people that have verizon), you are lucky if you can get 15 seconds of a call without dropping. No one runs Verizon out here. Sprint/ATT/ETC have hte same problem. Absolutely HAVE to be outside, and even then you drop calls like mad.

US Cellular is the only company that actually services this area. I have absolutely no problem calling people even in my basement.

1. US CELLULAR
2. Since 2003 i think
3. I have never had a land line(in my own house, moved in 4 years ago ish)

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I have an iPhone, and I love it. It is basically a requirement now in the medical field to have an iPhone or similar. If you live in the north I would stick with VZN as their coverage is better up here, but in the south VZN and AT&T are about the same an in that case AT&T's customer service is much better. I haven't had a land line in 6 years, and I have not missed it one bit. My parents still have one, and they have it constantly forwarded to their cell phones. Now if you want to have a phone in every room of your house there are options for doing that while still only having a cell phone. Check out this phone set. It will allow you to have handsets throughout the house while still only having cell phone coverage. Just my two cents.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online