• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cell phones?????

Kumabjorn

Oct 30, 2009
why iPhone? a Droid powered Motorola is right up there with the iPhone. it`s as good or better.

Haven't looked into it in more detail. To be perfectly honest my knowledge is probably limited, but I have been led to believe that Android is Open Source based, that should be great for Apps but doesn't it also open up itself to virus attacks? iPhone is limited to ITune Apps and hence checked before being released. Feel free to give me a penalty shot if I'm out of bounds.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Haven't looked into it in more detail. To be perfectly honest my knowledge is probably limited, but I have been led to believe that Android is Open Source based, that should be great for Apps but doesn't it also open up itself to virus attacks? iPhone is limited to ITune Apps and hence checked before being released. Feel free to give me a penalty shot if I'm out of bounds.

If you get an iPhone you HAVE to jailbreak it. It's good to great beforehand, but freakin awesome after! So much more control over everything in and on your phone.

The two things I don't like about the iPhone is apples tightly-reined control over it (hence the jailbreak), and the no java and flash player thing. Gets a little frustrating at times but can be worked around in most cases.

Sorry for the threadjack Limp!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
If you get an iPhone you HAVE to jailbreak it. It's good to great beforehand, but freakin awesome after! So much more control over everything in and on your phone.

The two things I don't like about the iPhone is apples tightly-reined control over it (hence the jailbreak), and the no java and flash player thing. Gets a little frustrating at times but can be worked around in most cases.

Sorry for the threadjack Limp!

What is "jailbreaking" an iPhone? My wife has one so I am curious...

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
jailbreaking is hacking the iPhone so you can download third party apps, stuff Apple doesn't write. it can also allow you to unlock your iPhone so you can use other carriers. i'm not even sure that without jailbreaking you can tether your iPhone? maybe someone can confirm this?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Tetheing is a built in feature of the iphone which AT&T of course will not enable.

I have an iphone, love it!
However, wait for the release of the 4g version coming in the next month or two.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
PC lover!! ;)

don't get me wrong, the iPhone is damn fine piece of equipment, it's not the ONLY damn fine piece of equipment. i see Google is behind 'Droid now, there's going to be huge advancements as far as apps available for it soon.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Verizon. No land lines in my house, why pay the extra expense (cable internet) when a cell is SO much more convenient? I may be getting a Droid in July, we will see. Anyway, I would recommend Verizon, good coverage everywhere pretty much. I've never had a dropped call in WI contrary to what the other WI guys say. The only spot I can find where Verizon sucks is in upper michigan between Crystal Falls and Covington.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
here ya go. AT&T announced some new data plans, including Tethering. looks like no more unlimited plans?

Smartphone customers – including iPhone customers – who choose the DataPro plan have the option to add tethering for an additional $20 per month. Tethering lets customers use their smartphones as a modem to provide a broadband connection for laptop computers, netbooks or other computing devices. Tethering for iPhones will be available when Apple releases iPhone OS 4 this summer.
AT&T- News Room

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I have BB tour through alltel and its worthless, nothing but problems with the phone.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.