• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

CG12 or Vokey - Help me HO!

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I'm in need of a 50* wedge. Right now I carry a 52, 56, and 60. I have too much of a gap between my PW and my 52. I hit my PW around 115-118, and my 52 I only hit around 85'ish. I need something I can take a full cut with and get right at 100. My 56 is a CG10 and I hit it well. At a Titliest demo day I hit a Vokey 52 and hit it well also. My #1 miss when hitting a wedge shot is to dig into the ground too much and come up way short. Anyone have any idea which of these wedges will help the most to combat that? Am I right in thinking I need a higher bounce? The CG12 has 10* of bounce, while the Vokey has 8*. Thanks! :thumbs up:

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
By my count, you have 15 clubs already. If you want to keep the long end of your bag intact, I would drop the 56 and weaken your PW and 52 a bit.

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
lol yeah I know I've got too many clubs in the bag :p

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Higher bounce is intended for players with steep swings. But if you play off of tight fairway lies a lot of bounce can wreak havoc with your wedge play. I would think a CG12-50/10 would be a very solid club.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
I love my cg12s 12* bounce. Your pw should be around 45* and a gap wedge around 50*. the vokeys are nice. it all depends on what degree you want. and who makes one.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
United States United States
gaps

I use to play 45* pw, 51* gw, 56* sw, and 60* lw.

I felt that it was a waste of a club so I took out the 56* and 51* and bought a 53*. It works great with my new knock down pw I have been hitting.

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Yeah I plan on getting rid of the 52 for sure. Considering dropping my 60 as well.. only time I hit that is for flop shots, which are pretty low percentage.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I'm playing vokeys now that the turf is rock hard. I'll switch to prob my higher bounce wedges if we get a few weeks of rain.

My advice is to choose something with bounce that fits your geography. But if you are just looking for a 52 then the bounce will prob be close to standard across OEMs

kelvinsense

degen gambler
May 9, 2008
hello st'ers

I had a simple question that I didn't really want to start a new thread in. sorry if i'm derailing your thread ! (i'm planning to get some vokey SM's too)

What's the difference between a

52/56/60 set up , or say
54/ 58, etc.

will getting a 56 vs a 58 for main sand wedge make a huge difference? thaaanks.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
hello st'ers

I had a simple question that I didn't really want to start a new thread in. sorry if i'm derailing your thread ! (i'm planning to get some vokey SM's too)

52/56/60 set up , or say
54/ 58, etc.

I've played a 3 wedge setup and right now I have a 54 and 58 in the bag. You need to try it for yourself, it just depends on how long your distance gaps are and the bounce you need. I delofted both my wedges from 56 and 60 to lower the bounce a bit.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
hello st'ers

52/56/60 set up , or say
54/ 58, etc.

Your PW is 45º, so the difference for you would be a much bigger gap from your PW to your GW. What that set needs for good spacing is a 50º GW and then the 54/58 (or 60) combo. Then your spacings match your irons better.

When I played rac OS2's, I played 45º PW, 48/52/56 and it worked for me. Since then, however, I've gone to a 47º PW with the 52/56 combo and it works better. Fewer choices is better for me.

This is all assuming you're going to play the OS PW and dump the OS SW. If you're keeping both, I'd buy an OS AW that's 50º and nothing else.

kelvinsense

degen gambler
May 9, 2008
thanks for the good help guys!

i'm actually planning to get a new set in a few months. (dumping 3-pw,sw) I'm looking at mizuno mx-23, titelist 695cb (i demo'd these, love them). Possibly TLT. I just wanted to ask about the wedges now so that I could get accustomed to some and wouldn't have to change later on. The titelist 695cb PW is 46. Not sure if that changes after TLT.

Assuming a 46 PW, next three would be 50, 54, 58?

Also, didn't know the lofts had to be consistent in the wedges since they weren't for full swings.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
thanks for the good help guys!

i'm actually planning to get a new set in a few months. (dumping 3-pw,sw) I'm looking at mizuno mx-23, titelist 695cb (i demo'd these, love them). Possibly TLT. I just wanted to ask about the wedges now so that I could get accustomed to some and wouldn't have to change later on. The titelist 695cb PW is 46. Not sure if that changes after TLT.

Assuming a 46 PW, next three would be 50, 54, 58?

Also, didn't know the lofts had to be consistent in the wedges since they weren't for full swings.

I had my PW bent to 45.5* from 47. I play a 50 and a 56 bent to 55*. I really don't think it's necessary to have 3. I played a Mizuno MP-T 50* and a 54* and they were right on top of each other. Like a 6-8 yd. difference full swing if that. Mine are pretty close now as well. 55 is 105 and the 50 is about 115. I was thinking about this yesterday. When I get new irons I might drop the PW for a 48* wedge, get another 56* and bend it to 55* then bend the 9i a degree weak. I find don't really use my PW very much at all.

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
OK so I've decided to ditch my 52 and get a Vokey 250.08 for sure.

I'd also like to get thoughts on playing a Vokey Spin Milled 54* as a Sand Wedge. Specifically the SM54.10... going with the lower bance club for sand shots. Currently playing a cg10 56 with standard bounce. My general sand miss is short(well, when I don't screw up and catch too much ball sending it 5 miles over the green.) But typically I'm short on bunker shots. Anyone else play a 54* as a sand wedge? Thoughts?

One more question and I'll leave everyone alone. My AP2's have the Project X 5.5 shafts. For my new wedges, should I go with the stock(Dynamic Gold s200,s300), or match my irons and go with the Project X? Or even the Project X Flighted?

Members online

No members online now.