• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Changing Golf Grips

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
Hi,

It is time for my first time - tonight....I am going to change golf grips myself for the first time!! I got everything I need (I guess); Tape, grip-tape activator, grip installer, knife and of course a new grip....

I guess most of you have done it yourselves for a long time. I was wondering if you had any tips, do's and don'ts for a first timer....? All tips appreciated...

Pub

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
What do you mean by "grip installer?" You mean a vice to hold the club? My only advice is to make sure that whatever is holding the club is very secure - once you get the tape and inside of the grip good and wet you just push it on in one smooth motion, but sometimes it's a little bit grippy - in fact, sometimes you end up leaning into it with pretty much all of your weight. If your vice or table or whatever start moving and the grip gets stuck halfway, then I hope you have more grips than you actually need -- odds are you'll be cutting that one off and trying again. I also keep a bucket under my work so I re-catch the solvent instead of spilling it all over the floor.

What kind did you end up getting?

OP
papperlapub

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
What kind did you end up getting?

Thanks a lot for the tip... haven't actually thought about how to secure the club, though I could do it freehanded...

I am trying a winn G8 on a wedge and a Golf Pride Full Cord on my driver....but this is only the beginning :)

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
You could MAYBE pull it off free handed with some grips, but that Winn is not one of them. They can be VERY hard to put on. Different solvents and tapes act differently with them, but most of them grab the poop out of the inside of a winn grip. Gonna take a seriously strong push more than likely. The only combo I've found that works well with them is the tape from Golfsmith and solvent from GolfWorks -- every other combo of tape and juice I've used just didn't work well at all.

Even an easy grip like that GP you'll have a hell of a time holding the club in place will you slide it on. Do you have a bench vise by any chance? They make little rubber blocks you put on the club shaft so you can clamp it in the vise and push as hard as you please. You might could stick the head of the club into a corner or something to hold it in place, but you'd be putting a lot of unusual force on the tip of the shaft. Not sure how it would work out. Maybe some others will come along with tips for gripping without a vise.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Thanks a lot for the tip... haven't actually thought about how to secure the club, though I could do it freehanded...

I am trying a winn G8 on a wedge and a Golf Pride Full Cord on my driver....but this is only the beginning :)

you WILL want a vice, one of those plastic deals that grip the shaft of the club, and a sturdy table.

OR

Skip the tape, grip tape activator, and find someone with a compressor. Use compressed air to blow the grips onto the shafts.

100% reversible without any issues and holds just as well as tape. Faster, cleaner, cheaper(not including the compressor anyway).

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
you WILL want a vice, one of those plastic deals that grip the shaft of the club, and a sturdy table.

OR

Skip the tape, grip tape activator, and find someone with a compressor. Use compressed air to blow the grips onto the shafts.

100% reversible without any issues and holds just as well as tape. Faster, cleaner, cheaper(not including the compressor anyway).

I've still not been able to make that work. I don't know if I'm using too much pressure or too little, or what. I've seen videos of other people just slide them on and off like they could do it all day, but I keep ending up with the grip either getting a big bubble or not moving on the club at all. There has to be something simple that I'm missing.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I always use Zippo lighter fluid. I have never used a vice. I just soak everything down really well and slide that baby on.

How do you use air? Never tried that.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I've still not been able to make that work. I don't know if I'm using too much pressure or too little, or what. I've seen videos of other people just slide them on and off like they could do it all day, but I keep ending up with the grip either getting a big bubble or not moving on the club at all. There has to be something simple that I'm missing.

I just used compressed air on 8 grips with a buddy of mine. I think we used about 60psi or so...start at like 30, and keep stepping up untill the air comes out around the grip at a good pace, but doesn't come out with tons of force.

You HAVE to make sure you don't put pressure on the grip all the way around while sliding it down. The air needs to escape and if you shut off that avenue of flow, it will blow up the grip(although i'm sure you already knew that). Sometimes it shard not to just grab the grip and try to push it down...which usually causes it to blow up.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
This is just the video i found first. I don't use any lube, or tape...i just blow the grip onto the steel shaft....have't done graphite yet...so idk if it would hold but i assume it would hold fine just grip on graphite

Brandon, note where he puts his left hand, he is putting just barely enough pressure on the grip to get it to slide down, not pressing it to the shaft.

[video=youtube;qd3Qzz3m4cg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd3Qzz3m4cg[/video]

OP
papperlapub

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
They make little rubber blocks you put on the club shaft

Thanks a lot for the info, I just heard about those little rubber blocks, do you know where to get them? Somebody also told me about a special knife to get the old tape off the shaft, somebody heard about that?

UnitedIns

Jul 27, 2010
the Vice is KEY! Also, WD-40 is the best to get everything wet and lubricated. Slides right on. By morning the grip, shaft and tape are bone dry and ready to play. I'd assume WD-40 is much less expensive than Zippo lighter fluid. Dont' forget to scrape off the old tape. Good luck!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Thanks a lot for the info, I just heard about those little rubber blocks, do you know where to get them? Somebody also told me about a special knife to get the old tape off the shaft, somebody heard about that?

If you don't want to order a specific 'golf grip tape removal knife' i just use a vynl knife(pictured below) from the hardware store. The curve on it is very conducive to removing the tape easily and quickly. They're cheap too.

awww.thepaintstore.com_v_vspfiles_photos_20450_2T.jpg

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
the Vice is KEY! Also, WD-40 is the best to get everything wet and lubricated. Slides right on. By morning the grip, shaft and tape are bone dry and ready to play. I'd assume WD-40 is much less expensive than Zippo lighter fluid. Dont' forget to scrape off the old tape. Good luck!

Lighter fluid is cheap and it evaporates quickly. I don't know about good ole dubbya dee...I didn't know it would dry at all.

🔥 Latest posts