• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Changing Golf Grips

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
OKEJ, THIS IS A LITTLE EMBARRASING, BUT I CANNOT NOT TELL YOU:

I showed it to a friend of mine, who changes his grips frequently and he told me that I forgot to pull off the plastic film of one side of the tape..................

Ha, that is funny. But, you have to learn somehow. You can probably reclaim that grip with a little effort and some solvent. If not, cut it off and try again.

Re-gripping is a joke and is something that should be done by every golfer out there who values the necessity of new grips. Once you have it mastered (after the second one!), you'll wonder why you ever paid to do it.

I use an old ice cream pail, a hook blade and a towel. No vice, not needed. I've done at least 15 sets this summer. Just turn on the TV, cut them off and slide them on. Easy. I can do driver through wedges in about half an hour.

R35

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I have a liter bottle of grip fluid that works real well, and a roll of tape that I've had for like 3 years, and I've done probably 5 iron sets and tons of shafts and wedges and putters too.. Still have all that stuff left.

Sometimes I collect it, sometimes I do it over the damn toilet in the spare bedroom. Use a knife, get the grip and tape off.. re tape it the way I want, and then I pour the solvent in the grip, shake it around.. Hold the shaft over the toilet, pour the solvent on the shaft and let it run down the end to the tape.. Shake it all off good.. and slide it on with one hand holding the shaft and the other on the grip. Don't twist, as it makes it easier to line it up when you put it on straight.

Wipe the excess goo off from the tape and solvent.. Square the grip up. and then I set it aside.

Easy as hell, flush the damn toilet, and no mess.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I've heard that the air pressure doesn't work with the multi-compound grips like Decade etc.

I was taught (Golfsmith video?) to fill the grip up with the solvent and then pour it on the tape (bucket or something under grip to catch it). Heavy duty vise with rubber pads so as not to booger up the shaft. I can't imagine re-gripping without a solid vise.

The decades dont work with air as the lower part of the grip is too thin and blow up like a balloon. The sharpro decades work fine though ;)
Winns dont blow on well either, but winn sucks so who really cares.

OP
papperlapub

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
Ha, that is funny. But, you have to learn somehow. You can probably reclaim that grip with a little effort and some solvent. If not, cut it off and try again.

Re-gripping is a joke and is something that should be done by every golfer out there who values the necessity of new grips. Once you have it mastered (after the second one!), you'll wonder why you ever paid to do it.

R35

You were right, I had to learn. Fixed the second one in 10 minutes (I know it's not fast, but still it's on). The only problem I had was to get the grip installer off under the grip, once the grip was on....I don't think I will use one of these the next time....

Thanks all for the tips :)

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
just pich the tip of the grip slightly to start it going on

OP
papperlapub

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
just pich the tip of the grip slightly to start it going on

sorry,

what do you mean by "pich the tip of the grip slightly" ? You mean I should not use a grip installer at all?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
typo, pinch. No need for a grip installer, they are nothing more than a pain in the arse.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
What the hell is a grip installer?

And why on earth would you need it? I just push mine on and they slide like butter?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.