• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Changing to Hogans ways....

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I bought Hogans 5 Lessons yesterday. I've never had a lesson or read an instruction book before and I've managed to get down to a handicap of 8. Now I've decided to get some help because I don't think I'll get any lower with out some major changes with my swing. Another reason for the change is that I hurt my back in December and my swing at the moment looks like John Daly's with a massive overswing which isn't helping it. I played recently with a fella from our place who told me to try a 3/4 back swing. When I did my 3/4 swing it was perfectly parallel at the top and the strike was much more solid, this got me thinking to overhaulling my full swing and becoming a lot more compact. I've read alot of post's on here with people prasing Hogans book so I've decided that's where I would start. I don't really want lessons from a pro because I'd rather learn on my own and develop my swing by myself (with the book). I read the 1st chapter on the grip last night and I'm off to the range when I finish this post to practice and try to make it feel a little more natural. I have used an interlocking grip since I was about 12 years old, so it feels very strange with the overlapping finger as shown by Hogan. Anyhow I'm off to hit a bucket now so will let you know how I get on later.......

regards MG.

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
Good Luck. There has been a lot of talk on here about that book lately. It was the first golf book I ever bought and I refer back to it when my swing gets out of whack.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
One of my first golf books too. I was the same way, I used interlocking then read that book and changed to an overlapping. It took me about a month to get fully used to it. Good luck at the range.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Video? we can see how you are getting on then, i would also suggest The L.A.W.S of the golf swing by TJ Tomasi it is a quality read

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I think you see a pro first matey,you could spend months with Hogans book and get nowhere.I love it,as you know but its not for everyone,for a start why use a grip like his if you aren't fighting a huge hook? Plus it takes ages to figure that not all the pics are exact replicas of what he does,in fact he says he does one thing then you watch his swing and what he is actually describing is how he felt he was swinging,rather than the reality.Its a truly truly great book but it really needs dedication and time.I still practice a full 10 hours a week,4 of those just hitting balls.If you don't have that time I suggest a course of say 6 lessons from a pro.I overhauled my swing last year and my handicap did not move,now I am with a coach again and I am streets ahead of where I was last year.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
dam weather!!! The range was closed because they can't collect balls using the tractor as the field is to wet. A driving range that runs out of balls, superb buisness plan!!!

Thanks for the encouragemnet SW & Demon.

CharnockPro;- I would love to do a video of my swing now and see if it progresses/changes over the coming months but I don't have access to a video camera and wouldn't know how to get it on line for you to look at even if I did. I may be able to borrow one if you could explain how to post it?

Dave;- You would consider the pro approach 1st? I just figured if I could do it myself then I'd be able to fix it myself in the future and not have to rely on somebody else. (I have trust issues). I see some people at my club coming in to the pro-shop panicing because they were sliceing the ball or something and didn't have a clue as to why. They just rely on the pro for everything and I don't want to go down this route.

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
I have a couple of questions about some of the details in Hogans book. Now, I'm going off of memory here (as I don't have the book right in front of me) but are the illustrations of his grip generally considered a "weak" grip? As for the second question, isn't easier for a person with smaller hands to use an interlocking grip as opposed to an overlapping? I believe I heard this somewhere but I could be wrong. I have small hands and for whatever reason, my grip feels much more secure with my current interlocking grip.

And good luck with the change, MG! Also, I hope you don't think I'm hijacking this thread. That is not my intent. I figured everyone was talking about Hogans book and my question pertained to that so I figured what the heck...

Thanks.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I have a couple of questions about some of the details in Hogans book. Now, I'm going off of memory here (as I don't have the book right in front of me) but are the illustrations of his grip generally considered a "weak" grip? As for the second question, isn't easier for a person with smaller hands to use an interlocking grip as opposed to an overlapping? I believe I heard this somewhere but I could be wrong. I have small hands and for whatever reason, my grip feels much more secure with my current interlocking grip.

And good luck with the change, MG! Also, I hope you don't think I'm hijacking this thread. That is not my intent. I figured everyone was talking about Hogans book and my question pertained to that so I figured what the heck...

Thanks.

No problem AaA. I have small hands so it applies to me as well. But from reading the book Mr Hogan was a relativly small man as well and he found this grip to be best, for him anyway. I just figure that I'm gonna follow his 'lessons' and see where that takes me.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Hogan used a weak grip,both vs pointing to the chin,very few golfers can play with a grip that weak.

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
I used to play a weak grip, similar to the one displayed in Five Lessons and I've moved to a more neutral/strong grip and I've been far more consistent. Although I think in part that has to do with a better overall swing. I was experimenting at the range the other day as I was trying to hit fades. In addition to opening my stance, weakening my grip seemed to work quite well.

Thanks to both MG and Dave for replying to my inquiries!

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I switched to a weak grip because I was fighting a hook. I wear a Medium/Large glove and I use the overlapping grip if that helps.

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
AaA--

I have large hands but short fingers. I play with an interlocking grip. I've experimented with overlap but it just doesn't feel as secure.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'm using the interlocking still but as weak as Hogan show's in the book. I am fighting the shot's flying right, mostly just pushed not sliced. It's good for now though, I need to learn to turn the head over. For iron shots it's actually pretty good, the ball likes to fade at the end of the flight with no effort. I think the book gives the fundamentals to start building a real swing but at some point we all must branch off to our swing. There was only one Ben Hogan and there will only be one Ezra, slightly less famous, slightly higher handicap.
icon10.gif

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
AaA--

I have large hands but short fingers. I play with an interlocking grip. I've experimented with overlap but it just doesn't feel as secure.

That's it for me, Bama. That secure feeling just isn't there. It feels as though the club is gonna go flying out of my hands.

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
Dave;- You would consider the pro approach 1st? I just figured if I could do it myself then I'd be able to fix it myself in the future and not have to rely on somebody else. (I have trust issues). I see some people at my club coming in to the pro-shop panicing because they were sliceing the ball or something and didn't have a clue as to why. They just rely on the pro for everything and I don't want to go down this route.

Its worth going to a pro not for reliance, but enlightenment.. thats what i found anyway.. i did alot of reading on swings, and technique, but lessons have been the best money spent for my game

its put me on the right track, and am only improving as im practicing the techniques ive been taught

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online