• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cheap bag challenge!

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
The FGI guys did this one year. What is the cheapest set you can assemble from your current inventory and shoot your "normal" score? I am taking this set up out tomorrow and/or Thursday so see what comes.

Driver - Cobra S2 Offset - $17.99 Play it Again Sports
FW - The Perfect Club - the original 21*one - $14.99 Play It Again Sports
Irons - PING Eye 2 - 4 Thru SW - Washington Golf Show - $100
Putter - PING G2 B60 - Play It Again Sports - $29.99

Grand total with 5% sales tax = $171.12

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If I assembled the least expensive bag from my basement....

Driver: Cleveland HiBore 2-wood. $35 from Golf Galaxy
FW: Taylor Made R9 5 wood. Golf USA $20
Irons: Ping Zing 2, 3-PW. PIAS $60
Wedges: Ping Zing 2, SW and LW. Extras from sons set of Zing 2's I traded a bunch of stuff for 15 or 20 years ago. Don't think I've got anything in them.
Putter: Ping My Echo. Golf & Fitness Warehouse, Marshall, MO $15

I'd put them in my Ping USA bag I paid $35 for. Have plenty of used balls I've found. So, zero invested in balls and tees.

Add in the 5% sales tax and it's $173.25... bag and all.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Most of us on ShotTalk would be BANNED!!! The prerequisite to post there is XX shafts in everything, nothing higher lofted than 7 degrees in a driver, muscle-back blade irons, $400 "designer" putters, wedges you replace every 30 days because you wore down the grooves (probably because you use your 60 degree wedge for everything from 150 in), average 360 yard drives, and boast a 'plus' handicap. $200 bags??? No way. I believe the minimum required bag cost over there is on the order of $5,000.

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Most of us on ShotTalk would be BANNED!!! The prerequisite to post there is XX shafts in everything, nothing higher lofted than 7 degrees in a driver, muscle-back blade irons, $400 "designer" putters, wedges you replace every 30 days because you wore down the grooves (probably because you use your 60 degree wedge for everything from 150 in), average 360 yard drives, and boast a 'plus' handicap. $200 bags??? No way. I believe the minimum required bag cost over there is on the order of $5,000.

Of course......what was I thinking? :eek:

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
TM 320 irons 3-pw, 50$

Nike VRS covert driver- 100$

Ping G2 5w- 25$

Wilson harmonized 56°- 42$

Titleist vokey sm4 50/62°- 130$

Shitty yet loveable putters- found in garage.

372$ total, but don't forget that that is my gamer set... Like my best set possible.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
TM 320 irons 3-pw, 50$

Nike VRS covert driver- 100$

Ping G2 5w- 25$

Wilson harmonized 56°- 42$

Titleist vokey sm4 50/62°- 130$

Shitty yet loveable putters- found in garage.

372$ total, but don't forget that that is my gamer set... Like my best set possible.
I have a very good feeling that when you get a few more years under your belt you're gonna be one heck of a golf club ho!!!!!

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
I have a very good feeling that when you get a few more years under your belt you're gonna be one heck of a golf club ho!!!!!
No sir, if something feels right to me, it'll stay in the bag for a while. Hence the g2 woods I've been bagging since I started playing

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
if I have to take my set in Rand Value (our currency) and convert it to $.....ouch, i should be on Golf WRX and not Shottalk.....so that's where i'm gonna leave it, becuase i'm not leaving.....:rolleyes::oops::D
Oh, :poop:!!!!!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
you ok old-man?? you :poop: in your diaper again?:D:D
If you only knew... Had my regular waffle in the hotel breakfast bar. About a 10 minute drive from the hotel to the where I'm working right now. 5 minutes into that 10 minute drive and I almost wished I did have Depends!!!! I just hoped someone hadn't beat me to the porta-john. Now, I don't envy the next guy who might need it!!!!!
Just one of those mornings. If something hurts or something doesn't work right... I know I woke up!!!!!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
if I have to take my set in Rand Value (our currency) and convert it to $.....ouch, i should be on Golf WRX and not Shottalk.....so that's where i'm gonna leave it, becuase i'm not leaving.....:rolleyes::oops::D
It's statements like this that make me wonder if you might be smarter than I think you are. :p:D

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
The FGI guys did this one year. What is the cheapest set you can assemble from your current inventory and shoot your "normal" score? I am taking this set up out tomorrow and/or Thursday so see what comes.

Driver - Cobra S2 Offset - $17.99 Play it Again Sports
FW - The Perfect Club - the original 21*one - $14.99 Play It Again Sports
Irons - PING Eye 2 - 4 Thru SW - Washington Golf Show - $100
Putter - PING G2 B60 - Play It Again Sports - $29.99

Grand total with 5% sales tax = $171.12

Ok - just shot the round of the year and the 2nd lowest in my life with this cheap-ass bag full of oldies. 38/35 at Cameron Hills. One double bogey, 2 bogies, 3 birds and the rest pars - see post in What did you shoot today. This old shit really works! I now think that the less you pay for a club, the better it works. :cool:

🔥 Latest posts