• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cheap Driver Head Suggestions.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I'm bored and am throwing together another driver. I have the shaft lined up, if things pan out and will need a head to throw it into.

Shaft is gonna be a Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 75 X.

my budget for the head is $50 +/- $20 or so.

looking for something square to slightly open if possible.

Current front runners are:
Ping G2
TM R5 TP
Cleveland Launcher
Titleist 905 R

any thoughts???

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Definitely try a Maltby, brother. I wouldn't want you to have any excuses when I'm miles past you down the fairway :)

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
the Maltby sat a little too closed for my eyes if my memory serves me right when i looked at MGP's.

its looking like G2 or R5TP,

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
anyone tried the Bridgestone drivers???

either the 420cc or 460cc J33 versions?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Haven't tried it but if you find one cheap, go for it. They have a lower spin than the R5TP's. Other than that, drop that shaft in like a 10.5*-11* DCT and hit some high launch, low spin bombs.
icon10.gif

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
There are loads of J33's for sale. I'm not going to speculate why, but I think they were the cat's meow a few months back, and now people are dropping them in favour of the cheap drivers that are the cat's meow now. XL Tour, FTi, Adams BTY, etc.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
There are loads of J33's for sale. I'm not going to speculate why, but I think they were the cat's meow a few months back, and now people are dropping them in favour of the cheap drivers that are the cat's meow now. XL Tour, FTi, Adams BTY, etc.

R35

XL tour is getting really cheap. Just saw them for $199 new, for the tour or the regular. I may have to try to ho one of these heads in a month or so.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
the Maltby sat a little too closed for my eyes if my memory serves me right when i looked at MGP's.

I was looking at the specs on the 9.5° head and they say it's square. The higher lofts are 0.5° closed though. They have 9.5° heads in stock, I'm sure you wouldn't want anything more lofted than that and at $45 new they are worth considering. :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I was looking at the specs on the 9.5° head and they say it's square. The higher lofts are 0.5° closed though. They have 9.5° heads in stock, I'm sure you wouldn't want anything more lofted than that and at $45 new they are worth considering. :D

Of the two 9.5* that I have seen, both were closed faces. That's what sorta puts me off about it. I prefer open faced drivers. Not saying that the head ain't good, it just doesn't fit my eye.

R35

Pullmeister

Dec 6, 2006
havent posted on ST in ages ... but anyhow. Good heads I know for sure that can be had for around $50

Macte NVG2 - 8.5 degree are open around 1 degree 9.5 - neutral. NVG tour - all lofts are susposed to be open .

Adams Bul and BTY - fairly neutral faces at lower lofts,

Used Geek DCT

Cleveland COmp and Ti 460 - 8.5 degreee models are usually open faced .

Cheaper heads :

x 460 tour and Ft3 tour

Hibore Xl tour

All good heads but good luck finding them on a $70 max budget. Myself, if I could find an Hibore Xl tour head for that price I'd buy it right away.:laugh: But I cant find on for under $125:(l

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.