• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Check your escapes

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
A 3 family house up the road from me was about gutted by fire early yesterday morning. I drove by it on the way home from work and it was just scary looking. A man died and his wife and son got out. Thier young daughter is in intensive care with horrible burns.

I came home and immediately checked our own escape routes. I had a talk with my GF about what we would and could do in case of a fire. I tried to get it in her head that the object will be get out as fast as possible at all costs. If it means leaving me then go.

We live on the 3rd floor so it's especially important to have a plan. Plan A is the stairs, plan B is the fire escape out the spare bedroom. Plan C would most likely be implemented if a fire like that one happened. That is to throw the television through or into the window, try to take out all the glass and most of the casing, and jump to the 2nd floor porch and then to the ground. I am considering finding something like a sledgehammer to keep nearby the windows. At least something dense enough to take it out in one quick shot.

She says "What about the cats? We should put them both in one carrier." :rolleyes:

I laid that one out in black and white. "If I happen to run past one of them I might grab it by the tail and fling it out the window. If you think I'm going to be under the bed like "here, kitty, kitty" you got another thing coming." I basically tried to get it in her head we have less than 10seconds to be outside or we are most likely dead.

Please take the time to talk to your family and take a look at the options. It is a little scary but it needs to be. Make sure they understand there are 2 choices here, get out or die.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
My family has done this many times.

However, my 6th grade teacher once told us something that I will never forget. Let me preface it by saying this man loved animals, he had horses, dogs, cats, everything. He really was an old fashioned guy to, but he said, "Anyone who would die in a fire to get his dog out is a fool."

I guess part of the reason I liked him so much was that he treated us like adults, equals, when it was a good time to.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
We live in a nice neighborhood and have had three homes burn to the ground in the past three years. All three homes were within one mile of the closest fire station.

The latest one was about 10 doors down from me a year ago. They finally just cleared off the lot and it is for sale...

My greatest fear (and I mean this with all seriousness) is burning to death...

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I am not sure about apartment fire statistics here in Dallas but when I watch the news it seems like on is always on fire.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
EZ,

this is great topic and needs to be discussed more often by everyone.

I have been involved on and off in the insurance/renovation business for a long time (you cant make a living fixing clubs) and have seen the devistation of fire first hand.

Make sure you have a working smoke detector on every floor of your home. If each floor is bigger than 1000sq feet, have one at each end of every floor.
Have an retractable escape ladder in every bedroom above the main floor. Never allow anyone to sleep in a basement room that has no window. NEVER under any circumstance.
Never try and save pets or belongings.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
We live in a nice neighborhood and have had three homes burn to the ground in the past three years. All three homes were within one mile of the closest fire station.

The latest one was about 10 doors down from me a year ago. They finally just cleared off the lot and it is for sale...

That's a very high number for a single neighborhood. I've read that only about 1 in 1200 homes burn to the ground so your neighbors are getting the short end of the stick.

And I agree with you. I can't imagine a worse death.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I watched an apartment building burn to the ground once. Kids and lighters.

While it was one of the coolest and awe inspiring sites, it was sad to see people's memories go up in smoke.

The silver lining was that everyone escaped, upharmed. New memories can be made when you're alive, not when you're dead.

The siding on the building melted straight down the wall. It was just insane.

R35

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
We have had a few in my area, due too space heaters used long term, which is
a no no...

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005

I am with you on that, can't imagine a fate worse than about a minute of cooking prior to losing awareness.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.