• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chip swing

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
United States United States
I'm watching Mr. Breed on the golf fix discuss chipping and he's talking about the type of swing to use. I know there's multiple swing types but he was showing that you should keep your arms mostly straight, slight bend in the elbows, and practically a straight back and forward swing, similar to a putting stroke. I tried that and just felt completely wrong. I do what I guess is a common stroke where I tuck my right elbow in.

My question is, do any of you here use that swing and is it the 'right way'? I've seen some hoaky things on that show and the school of golf with martin hall.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I've chipped a few ways. Easiest way is to use a pendulum motion, no wrist action and vary height of the shot by switching clubs.

Another way I chip and pitch is to out my feet close together and pointing at a 45* angle in front if the ball- my toes are pointed ahead of the ball. I take the club back and keep my right elbow glued to my right hip (right handed) and swing through. Thats a good shot to get the ball up and stop relatively quick if struck right.

Hopefully these make sense...rereading now I'm not sure it does...

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I've chipped a few ways. Easiest way is to use a pendulum motion, no wrist action and vary height of the shot by switching clubs.

Another way I chip and pitch is to out my feet close together and pointing at a 45* angle in front if the ball- my toes are pointed ahead of the ball. I take the club back and keep my right elbow glued to my right hip (right handed) and swing through. Thats a good shot to get the ball up and stop relatively quick if struck right.

Hopefully these make sense...rereading now I'm not sure it does...

Your crystal clear to me. I've tinkered around and my best shots are when I swing like I do a typical iron shot but with a reduced back swing. I recently got a lob wedge and had to tinker with it to make her work right for me. Have to play it way further back in my stance to get a short high chip ( all my iron shots the ball placement is never further back than center ) and hit more down than through like usual, with loose wrists

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
My basic chip is my feet just a few inches apart, approx 45° open stance, ball just inside back toe, and my hands just inside my front thigh. I then just take the club straight back and through on my target line. if the ball needs to carry a further distance I might break my wrists a little.

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
My basic chip is my feet just a few inches apart, approx 45° open stance, ball just inside back toe, and my hands just inside my front thigh. I then just take the club straight back and through on my target line. if the ball needs to carry a further distance I might break my wrists a little.

That sounds a whole lot like what I do but I break my wrist a bit, not as much as a typical iron shot.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Im a hing and hold/forward press type player. I play it back in my stance. I almost always use my 60*. Im not really very good with the bump n run 7 iron. When I do hit that shot, I use very little wrist action...almost like a putting stroke.

Green-side shots are all feel though so you should do whats most comfortable to you. Like Arnie says in that Dicks commercial, "Swing your swing".

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Im a hing and hold/forward press type player. I play the ball back in my stance too so I really decrease the (dynamic)loft of the club...so I tend to chip with higher lofted clubs.

Green-side shots are all feel though so you should do whats most comfortable to you. Like Arnie says in that Dicks commercial, "Swing your swing".
Same here. I get the best contact with this method. And good contact is 90 percent of the battle for me.

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
Same here. I get the best contact with this method. And good contact is 90 percent of the battle for me.[/quo

Consistent good contact has been my biggest hurdle with my lob wedge. When I take the extra time to make sure I made the right adjustments it usually works out. But the swing style with it is so new to me its a little of a challenge.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Im a hing and hold/forward press type player. I play it back in my stance. I almost always use my 60*. Im not really very good with the bump n run 7 iron. When I do hit that shot, I use very little wrist action...almost like a putting stroke.

This.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I'm watching Mr. Breed on the golf fix discuss chipping and he's talking about the type of swing to use. I know there's multiple swing types but he was showing that you should keep your arms mostly straight, slight bend in the elbows, and practically a straight back and forward swing, similar to a putting stroke. I tried that and just felt completely wrong. I do what I guess is a common stroke where I tuck my right elbow in.

My question is, do any of you here use that swing and is it the 'right way'? I've seen some hoaky things on that show and the school of golf with martin hall.
All I am going to add is that I am watching the exact same thing right now (9:12pm Pacific). It was weird to read your post while he was saying those exact words. :eek:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.