• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chipping surface

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Hey guys, I haven't been on for a few days because the internet took a dump and IT couldn't fix it. What some idiots Alltel has working in their IT department.

Well anyways its spring here in Wisconsin now finally. And I want to start working on my short chips more outdoors. I'm just wondering what I would have to buy to have a better lawn that wouldn't die off in the hot drying sun of Wisconsin. I'm thinking some lawn grass seed, and some fertilizer but I don't know what kind would work best for chipping and would hold up to full swings of an iron w/o tearing apart and going a hundred different places. I'd like it to hold together so I could replace the divot. I'm not sure how to go about doing that or if I even can. I want to keep it cheap maybe around $30 dollars at most.

OP
Topflite_D2

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Nah I was looking more for something that I could have all over and that grows.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Bermuda should take it... :D
I'm thinking Kudzu, should be able to easily get if for under $30 and his parents will love it when they come home to find it in the yard. You could take divots galore and it'll just keep coming back, wouldn't even have to replace the divot. Just think, within the year it would probably be in your trees as well being that you are in the same state. :p

Although it'd only be funny until the winter, unless you manage to get some hybrid brand. The chinese are probably still laughing about this one.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Bermuda should take it... :D
Don't know if you were serious - I'll assume you were. Bermuda has a shallow root structure. That's why Florida courses ask you to fill divots with sand/seed mixtures. Replacing a divot does no good here, since the grass won't regrow. Bluegrass, like you have up north, has a deeper, intertwined root, thus divots that get replaced can usually grow back.

That's what I've heard, anyway.

And what exactly is the divot? Is it the chunk of grass and soil you dislodged, or is it the hole you dug when you ripped said grass/soil out?

OP
Topflite_D2

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
The divot I am talking about is when I swing and keep killing the lawn. Bluegrass should work I'll look around and see how much it is. Maybe I should get some alfalfa (sp?) I've herd the roots go down almost 6 feet haha

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
At the risk of asking the obvious, you do realize that grass does not grow overnight and it will likely be a month or so before you can walk on it without killing it? As well as the fact that when you plan on chipping, a green is not just a lawn with a certain type of grass, but there is an entire process involving thousands of dollars of equipment.

Simply put, if you plan on being able to have a chipping green for around $30 in a short period of time you likely need to find a bottle with a genie in it as opposed to a certain type of grass seed.

If you want to spend around $30 for this, take the easy way out and buy a small driving range mat that can be used for full swings, chipping, pitching, indoors, outdoors, etc. etc. This is what I use and it is invaluable and very portable.
Amazon.com: IZZO 1X2 Chipping and Driving Golf Mat - 20217: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: Golf Digest Hitting Mat: Sports & Outdoors
Dick's Sporting Goods - Golf Shop: Training Aids: Putting Greens / Mats: Wilson Chip 'N Drive Hitting Mat

I've spent $30 on seed for a lawn that I couldn't care if it lives or dies just as long as it was green, then spent about another $40-50 for the device that will simply spread the seed. Now I simply rely on crabgrass to provide the green.

Let's get serious here, as obviously joking did not work, you will spend $30 on seed that will likely do nothing but piss off your parents and harm your lawn. Again, a Chia Pet would be just as useful and likely as much value to your golf game.

OP
Topflite_D2

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Well I don't want a green just some green lawn that is strong, maybe some da** clover will work just fine. I know one part of our lawn clover grows and it works good. Or maybe fertilizer. I guess I could just ask my dad he knows about lawns, we had a nice lawn once then we realized how much a pain in the azz it was to mow it every week. Last year we only cut it 3 time the whole year.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Well I don't want a green just some green lawn that is strong, maybe some da** clover will work just fine. I know one part of our lawn clover grows and it works good. Or maybe fertilizer. I guess I could just ask my dad he knows about lawns, we had a nice lawn once then we realized how much a pain in the azz it was to mow it every week. Last year we only cut it 3 time the whole year.

:biglol:
This is getting funnier by the minute.
... or maybe just try a lawnmower. Have you given any thought to the fact that the reason it was nice was because you mowed it every week, which basically mulches up the clippings, and when you mow it when it has turned to see it seed it will reseed itself, and that you were growing grass and not straw or haystalks assuming you keep up with the work. Maybe if you just mow it every week you would have what you want, however if you reseed it, it is not going to be any different than what you have now if you don't mow it.

Is this your way of saying that you want a green lawn, but you don't want to mow it, so you really wish your dad would get off his ass and mow it for you?

OP
Topflite_D2

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
If I freaking mowed it every week it would be down to dirt in a month. I mow it myself so I don't care, forget this thread just close the da** thing its no help at all. I'm sorry I asked a question on a forum, never again will I be so dumb to ask a single question.

🔥 Latest posts