• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chipping

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
It depends where the flag is.
Exactly! Short-sided... usually a 56 degree wedge. Lots of green... sometimes pitching wedge and sometimes 52 degree wedge. If in heave fluff around green, higher lofted. If pretty clear between ball and hole, pitching wedge.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Exactly! Short-sided... usually a 56 degree wedge. Lots of green... sometimes pitching wedge and sometimes 52 degree wedge. If in heave fluff around green, higher lofted. If pretty clear between ball and hole, pitching wedge.
Wait until you're old, injured, and carrying hybrids down to a 6H. That 6H is wonderful for chipping when you have plenty of green!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Wait until you're old, injured, and carrying hybrids down to a 6H. That 6H is wonderful for chipping when you have plenty of green!
I AM old!! Will turn 74 in November. Have had a number of broken bones over the years and one knee replaced. I carry 2 hybrids.
We have a complete mix in our group. One uses a 6-iron on all his chips. Another uses a 7-iron. One uses a chipper. Another uses his putter from anywhere 10 yards or so from the green. I don't see how any of them do as well as they do. They have confidence in what they use and that confidence makes it work for them. I don't think it has anything to do with age or physical condition. It has to do with what works for you and what, in your mind, is best for YOU.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I AM old!! Will turn 74 in November. Have had a number of broken bones over the years and one knee replaced. I carry 2 hybrids.
We have a complete mix in our group. One uses a 6-iron on all his chips. Another uses a 7-iron. One uses a chipper. Another uses his putter from anywhere 10 yards or so from the green. I don't see how any of them do as well as they do. They have confidence in what they use and that confidence makes it work for them. I don't think it has anything to do with age or physical condition. It has to do with what works for you and what, in your mind, is best for YOU.
It was a joke about removing the long irons from the bag. :poop:

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
It depends where the flag is.

This and borrowing a little from the Dave Pelz school of thought, chipping is a golf stroke that can be made with multiple different clubs for various reasons and in any number of situations. Same thing goes for pitching the ball. That said, I chip with any number of clubs depending on the situation. My “go to” clubs are usually an 8i or 52. Very little green to work with can call for a 60, where having lots of green I’ve used a 7i or 5. All depends, sometimes its just whatever feels the best!

🔥 Latest posts