• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chokin' Freakin' Dogs (Part 2)

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Found this article very interesting (particularly the portion I highlighted, which leads me to believe that this may have little to do with the actual comment).

It also makes me think a little less of Laura Diaz.

This again? | Golf Commentary

dottie-diaz.jpg
<table> <tbody><tr> <td>
Beth%20Ann%20Baldry.jpg
</td> <td> Beth Ann Baldry
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> This again?
<hr size="2" width="100%">
SUNNINGDALE, England – Laura Diaz dropped three eagles in 11 holes during Round 2 of the Ricoh Women’s British Open and then dropped a bigger bomb on Dottie Pepper.

After the media had gone over her colorful card (Diaz shot 72), a member of the British press asked if she ever “tackled” Pepper about her comments at the Solheim Cup.

“No, do you want me to?” Diaz said with a laugh. “It would be my pleasure.”

The row between Pepper, Diaz and the rest of Team USA started during last year’s Solheim Cup when Pepper referred to U.S. players as “chokin’ freakin’ dogs” on air Saturday afternoon when she thought the broadcast had gone to commercial break.

“To be honest, I don’t think to this day I will ever in my life do an interview with her,” said Diaz, who sits two shots off the lead midway through the second round. “It really affected me, and Solheim wasn’t a time to talk about it.”

The comment was in reference to the number of times Team USA lost its lead over the last two holes and walked away with only a half point. While the verbiage certainly could’ve been better, Pepper did have a point as the U.S. halved six of 16 matches in the foursomes and four-ball sessions after squandering a lead down the stretch. Diaz was paired with Sherri Steinhauer in Saturday morning foursomes and the pair managed only a half point after missing a short putt on the 18th.

Pepper, a woman known for bleeding red, white and blue, was the topic of conversation in the team room that night. Diaz said they tried to move past it quickly to not be distracted during Sunday singles. But she didn’t forget those three little words.

Pepper addressed the situation on air 20 minutes into Sunday’s broadcast, saying she made a very poor choice of words but stood by the general premise that the U.S. choked in the Saturday foursome session.

When Diaz made her statements to the press Friday afternoon at Sunningdale, Pepper was still asleep several time zones away in Colorado, where she’s covering the U.S. Senior Open.

“The way Laura has chosen to handle the situation publicly is really disappointing,” Pepper said via e-mail Aug. 1. “I hope her heart will at some point recognize the comment was not personal, highly emotional and certainly never meant to be heard over the air. I have made myself available to her, but she has chosen not to talk, scream at me or whatever else she feels she needs to do for her peace of mind.”

Diaz said Pepper bruised her heart more than anything else. Pepper dated Diaz’s older brother, Ron, for two years in college. This was personal.

“Dottie was a family member to me,” Diaz said, “and I don’t even see her as a friend anymore.”

It’s been almost a year since Pepper made her on-air error. It’s safe to say her words were hardly at the forefront of anyone’s mind this week, or any other week in recent months for that matter.

So why bring it up now? Well, maybe because the British press hasn’t seen members of the U.S. Solheim Cup team since last year. Maybe because we are in tabloid country, where controversy is king.

Whatever the case, Diaz had the option of declining to answer or simply saying she was disappointed and what’s done is done. But, she clearly wanted to send a message to Pepper. She’s still hurt. And she’s disappointed that Pepper wasn’t held more accountable for her actions.

“You know, Sherri and I, we thought it was ridiculous really,” said Diaz. “But it was a heart thing more than anything else. We had a team that was there to support us and pull us out of it. .... I don’t think myself or Sherri will ever look at Dottie the same.

“And you can print all of it.”

What they say about women holding grudges is, in this writer’s opinion, by and large, true. They may forgive (though it hardly seems like Diaz has in this case), but they rarely forget.

Burg

Jul 17, 2007
It's been a year. Diaz needs to get over it. While Pepper's words were in poor taste they were not incorrect. The US team did choke. I think Diaz is so upset because deep down she knows that Pepper was right.

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
I was already on the fence with Diaz. She kinda gave me the willies for some unknown reason - the kind like when you suspect that someone might be a pod person.

Then she started interjecting her son into every conversation. If I can remember an LPGA player's son's name, the player is saying it too much (e.g., Cooper, Super-Cooper, Cooper-Duper) AHHH! Get over it! It's not like you weren't supposed to be able to have children because your husband has a narrow urethra! (Bonus points if you can name that reference.)

Now this.

Diaz is officially on the waiting list for my sh!t list.

soxngolf

The Chick
Jul 26, 2008
You know what always annoyed me about those comments...the use of the word "freakin." I mean, if you "bleed red, white and blue" really get into it, say the actual word! But if you ever listened to Dottie on the course she always had something to say and usually it was along the lines of "dang it!"
That was always so weird to me.

Seriously though, she was correct, they were choking, but totally inappropriate to say that. Even when she commented on it that next day, she really only said that it wasn't fair that she got caught saying it on air. She just keeps using that as an excuse. I know she didn't mean for it to be heard, but still just own up to it.

Everyone should be over it now. If Diaz needs some sort of revenge, she got it, the US won. They didn't choke on Sunday.

Although this is not Dottie's first Solheim controversy remember!
:rolleyes:

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
What the hell is wrong with everyone being so thin skinned & needing everything to be PC now days? Call a spade a spade & move on. Maybe her comments helped to spur them on to win & they should actually thank Dottie?

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Maybe Diaz was the one who sent the bear after Dottie Pepper at the Senior Open.

amedia.rockymountainnews.com_drmn_content_img_photos_2008_08_01_436810162_t600.jpg

(If anyone knows of video of this ^^^^, particularly of Dottie Pepper's audio while it was happening, please share!)

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Maybe Diaz was the one who sent the bear after Dottie Pepper at the Senior Open.

amedia.rockymountainnews.com_drmn_content_img_photos_2008_08_01_436810162_t600.jpg

(If anyone knows of video of this ^^^^, particularly of Dottie Pepper's audio while it was happening, please share!)

Not the best of times to be wearing white pants.

🔥 Latest posts