• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Choose my next wedge please

Please choose my next wedge

• Vokey Spin Milled

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Cleveland CG12

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Well, I very strongly believe that Srixon and Bridgestone are the two most underated brands in all of golf, and had no problems trying out the Srixon (I found one lightly used for a ridiculously cheap price) due to the recommendations on here. As you say, for some reason the Vokeys just feel absolutely perfect for me and have become the benchmark for every other wedge I try. The RACs are in at the moment as I'm carrying a 54* and 58*, but I suspect I'll get Vokeys in those lofts pretty soon to replace them.

What I can never understand is how I just can't hit Cleveland wedges at all, the 60* I have with the massive wide sole designed specifically for sand being the exception, and even that feels horrible to me but works well out of sand. I've tried the 588s, CG10s, CG11s and yesterday had a swing with Greydawg's new CG12 and just cannot get on with the feel of them at all, especially the feel off the face.

Bizarre as I absolutely love the other Cleveland stuff...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
You might as well just quit, Tim. As many times as you and I have been trying to spread the word about these wedges, I haven't heard a single person come on the board and say "Thanks for the heads up guys! I took a chance on that Srixon and you guys were right. This wedge is the bomb!"

Nobody wants to hear that their precious Vokeys and Clevelands (which you and I have both tried) just don't stand up to the Srixon.

So just quit. You're preaching to a deaf choir.

No worries :D You can lead a horse to water, but you can not make them drink. :laugh:

I think the biggest drawback to the Srixon is actually finding one to demo. I had never run across one until I went to the Srixon hitting bay at the show. Once I started hitting one of the WG 504's, I did not want to stop. I have a hit/played a lot of different wedges, but none of them play like or feel like the WG 504.

Sorry that you did not like them, Sandy. What did you end up doing with the 54*?

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Sorry that you did not like them, Sandy. What did you end up doing with the 54*?

I ended up trading it back in for something else, I think. I gave it a good 5 or 6 range sessions and a range and happily admit there was nothing at all wrong with it, but it just all came down to feel for me. All totally personal and subjective of course, and as I said above I would rate Clevelands as the worst feeling wedges you can buy, so that should say something!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Darn, I was trying find one on the cheap. :D

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I think the Vokey's work well for me because they are very similar to my short irons in makeup. Soles are very similar as well as feel and weight. My 9,PW,GW and 58* all have an 8* bounce. I feel like that makes them all very similar in terms of how I hit them off various lies. I can play a longer bunker shot with a 9iron and feel the same swing as with my 58* on a shorter bunker shot. Same thing from rough, fairway and chips and pitches.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
What is everyone's thoughts on the Callaway X Tour wedges? I played 18 with it this past weekend and love it.

Definitely give it a demo.

🔥 Latest posts