• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Choosing fairway wood shaft

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
Just curious what you folks think about fairway wood shafts. I've never had any luck with 3 woods and getting a good shaft combo. My 3 wood is a hook machine, even when I open the face at address and try to weaken my grip. For the record, I don't hook my other clubs. I just can't figure out the 3 wood issue.

Do you guys think there's any major difference between graphite and steel in fairway woods? I think the steel would probably have a heavier swing weight. I'm thinking it would be nice to have a similar feel from my irons to my woods. I don't want to blow a lot of cash changing shafts in and out so I'm looking for suggestions. If you want to know about my swing, it's a smoother tempo and ~95mph with a driver. Any comments from the peanut gallery would be appreciated! :)

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I would advise against a steel shafted FW wood shaft.

Honestly it's like anything else, personal preference. Like a driver shaft what works for one doesn't really work for another. For me I'm in love with the Motore F1 shaft I have. I've also had decent luck with the Aldila VS Proto. I doubt the shaft is the main cause of your hooks. Might look into getting a whole new 3W, maybe an R9/R11 or a 910 Titleist that's adjustable so you can open that sucker up.

It also could be in your head... I can talk myself into hooking anything! :p

OP
DrBrown

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
I'm leaning towards a built R7 TP 15* model. That way I get can get one on the cheap and put whatever shaft I feel like on it. I have a mid 90's Callaway 3W with a steel S Harrison shaft that I hit the snot out of. The head on this thing is only about 3x3" so you better not be off center, but it's a very solid club that I still hit pretty straight out to 245 yards. Pretty good for a 15 year old club! That's why I considered going back to a steel shaft. With the tiny head I think it makes it harder to turn over and hit with a closed face. But I know I'm mental so I wont rule that out lol.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I have a mate who has a steel shafted Nike 3 wood. He seems to like it a lot. Personally, I just couldn't bring myself to play a steel shafted wood. But that's more an emotional decision than anything else.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
It ain't the shaft...no sense trying to fix what isn't broken...

R35

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Honestly I love steel shafted woods but I wouldn't recommend them for most unless you have a pretty quick transition and can elevate the ball with your 3 wood (something many struggle with). A good option to try might be to use the same shaft as your driver but 10 or 20 grams heavier - whatever is comfortable for you to swing.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Aldila NVS 75g or 85g, preferably in Hot pink! Seriously, one of the most underrated FW wood shafts ever made, and I found mine brand new on ebay (in pink) for $18 shipped.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Caveat - I have never been able to hit a 3 wood.

More times than not, you're hitting a 3 wood all that you've got. That implies that you need a step up in shaft since you're probably swinging out of your shoes.

For the record, the only 3 wood I've ever hit worth a damn is my 909f2 with a stiff voodoo in it. Last time I swung it, I got about 230 straight on a par 5, left a chip on. Of course my leg buckled and I fell down, buddies had to pick me up & put me in a cart...but DAYUM, that was a sweet blast.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I have never been consistent with a fairway wood. I'm still searching for strong hybrid and when I find a good one I'm going to use my fairway woods to hold tomatoes up in the garden.

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
I had a hard time with 3 woods as well. Then I tried a TEE with a GD Purple Ice tour shaft. That thing is money!

OP
DrBrown

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
I have never been consistent with a fairway wood. I'm still searching for strong hybrid and when I find a good one I'm going to use my fairway woods to hold tomatoes up in the garden.

Good idea man!! Last summer my tomatoes all outgrew my stakes. My old golf clubs would be just about perfect for that.

I'm still pretty undecided. I think I might drive out to one of the 2nd swing stores to see what used inventory they have so I can swing a few and see how they feel. Can't really see the ball flight but at least I could score a beater and try playing with shafts. There's A LOT of pros still playing the R9 TP woods instead of the R11 and newer models out there. That leads me to believe they play it by choice and not for sponsorship. I got my old man one for xmas so I'll have to give that a go... if he lets me even touch it lol.

MercMan

Dec 28, 2010
Can you hit the 3 wood off the tee ok?? When I am struggling with my 3 wood, i go to the range and tee it up on a very low tee, when I have it going straight off the tee i put it down on the mat or ground. That is what seems to work for me. Sound like you might be trying to chase it with the right side resulting in a hook, another thing you might want to try is follow through high to the target and hold your finish. If I am fighting the hooks it is usually a result of swinging too flat and finishing low, if i am at the range I practice with the high follow through and it usually works it self out

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I got rid of my 3 wood and replaced it with a 13* hybrid by Nickent. I hit that thing so much better than I have ever hit a 3 wood, and I didn't really lose a step. I personally am better at hitting irons though. On the subject of steel shafts for a 3 wood. I had one in my last three wood which I thought allowed me to attack it more like a long iron than a wood. But that is just my $0.02

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.