• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Christmas Time...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Mods: If this is inappropriate feel free to lock/delete it!

So we got our first sticking snow on Saturday, only about an inch but it signalled the end of fall and really the start of winter. Our daughter, who will be 3 on Dec. 27th, is quite excited about the snow.

Without getting political or religous, I LOVE Christmas time. This year, and last for that matter, have been pretty tough years for my family. We have made the conscious decision to NOT spend so damn much money on gifts, mainly because we don't have the extra cash kicking around. We will still get a few gifts for our daughter who is just old enough now to really enjoy Christmas. I have to smile with pride everytime somebody asks her what she wants for Christmas. Her answer is simple, "I want a BIG tree with LOTS of lights." I love it.

We have told our family we won't be spending as much for gifts and of course they are fine. We will be doing a HUGE dinner though with all our close family and myself and the wife are very excited about that. I must say, with the pressure of buying gifts essentiall lifted it leaves open, to me anyway, what christmas is really about. Family and those that are close and love you! I am actually more excited about this year than I have been in the past! I can't wait to see our daughter decorate the tree and leave out cookies and carrots for Santa and the reindeer (she also wants more than anything to pet the reindeer-haven't figured that one out yet).

So, I'm done being sloppy and just want to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday-whatever you may celebrate!

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Finally someone else gets it, although it's unfortunate it takes hardships to open the eyes. My wife & I buy gifts for our grandkids but that's it. The girls are all getting into their mid-late 20's & to be honest don't deserve squat anyways. Plus we help them out thru out the year when needed.

My wife & I haven't bought each other gifts for any occasion for a long time. We may go somewhere on vacation or possibly a nice dinner & that's more than enough. The frenzy of black friday & the medias push to buy buy buy drives me nuts.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
The pickings will be quite slim around my house this year. We will buy for Cooper, our new grandson, and buy a couple of things for the other grandchild that is on the way. But everyone else has been told not to expect much. Its bugging me a bit, I've always enjoyed sitting under the tree and handing out the gifts, but between still not working and the fact that the family keeps growing, we have had to cut way back.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Right there with you guys.

Instead of all the gifts under the tree, we are traveling to my BIL's house in Idaho so that we can enjoy a white Christmas together. Christmas, for the past 10 years, has been the holiday we spent with my FIL but his passing in September has left a huge hole in our hearts this year. Being able to give my wife an opportunity to spend Christmas with her brother this year and my kids with their cousins, you can't buy that in any store.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Finally someone else gets it, although it's unfortunate it takes hardships to open the eyes. My wife & I buy gifts for our grandkids but that's it. The girls are all getting into their mid-late 20's & to be honest don't deserve squat anyways. Plus we help them out thru out the year when needed.

My wife & I haven't bought each other gifts for any occasion for a long time. We may go somewhere on vacation or possibly a nice dinner & that's more than enough. The frenzy of black friday & the medias push to buy buy buy drives me nuts.

We, my wife and I, never really went overboard as far as gifts go. We would however try to buy for each member of our family-even cousins we only see on Christmas. The last straw for us was 3 years ago. I got a decent little Christmas bonus, around $2000 or maybe $2500. We went Christmas shopping that weekend and when we got home we had spent nearly all of it on gifts, decorations and you name it. That was it, we decided that it was just to much and spending quality time was much more important anyway. We still get a "little something" for each other but nowhere near what it used to be, and we find ourselves much happier.

What I'm looking forward to more than anything though is seeing our daughter's face Christmas morning when she sees an empty plate of cookies, an empty glass of milk and the carrots gone! I can't wait for her reaction!!!

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007

I think buying things to each other (couple) its the nicest gesture ever. I love to receive a present from my fiancee over the bed on Christmas morning. I have always done so and I hope to keep doing it for ever. Last year I got a FootJoy Glove. I could have bought it for $15 anywhere, but the fact she gave it as a present meant THE WORLD to me.

I always give my mother a present as well, a perfume EVERY YEAR. That's hat she likes so why change it? My grand mother always gets a couple of beer bottles. She just loves it so I ry to find rare fine beers for her (No Foster's mates! :D)

I think giving presents is fun, and I love doing so. As BigJim said, they don't have to be expensive gifts, but the pleasure of unwrapping something your loved ones bought for you is priceless...

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
We don't go overboard, but go to each others families and do a little here and a little there.

I most enjoy just waking up with my wonderful woman, having some of her fantastic cooking for breakfast, some good coffee, then sitting in the floor with her and the dogs, and doing a few gifts. We keep it around a few hundred, and generally, we always over spend what we say.. But we both enjoy the surprises and the thoughtful gifts.

I don't care what I get, or if I get anything at all. I just really enjoy giving some quality gifts to those I love.

My family has scaled it back as we've all gotten older, and farther away from home. I'm fine with that, and enjoy the company now days more than I would have as a youngster.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
As some of you may know, I am quite the Christmas yuppy. :D

Won't be spending too much, but decorations are already going up all over the house, my sister will be coming in to see her new nephew, and my brother just left today (which is why I was gone).

WONDERFUL TIME OF YEAR!

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
We always scheme up something for us.....this year you got a small cash limit or 3 gift limit.....if your 3 gifts were less than the cash....the leftovers go into our daughters savings account. We know what one thing is for each other, grab a suprise gift and the little one will make out with an additional 50 bucks or so.

I will get my little sister something.....and send my parents out for a nice dinner or something. It has been a tough year. I have been sick since June, just had the gallbladder out, and have stacks of medical bills. My dad spent a weekend in the hospital recently and just had shoulder surgery. This year we are gonna have a nice xmas eve dinner and just spend some time with the family. I like things small and simple so this year will be perfect.

Jason

🔥 Latest posts