• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Christy O'Connor Jr. and a Legendary 2-Iron Shot

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
Christy O'Connor Jnr at the 1989 Ryder Cup
RIP Christy O'Connor Jnr.
Posted by Ryder Cup Team Europe on Wednesday, January 6, 2016​

WHO AMONG US WOULDN'T WANT to hit one shot in our life like the one Christy O'Connor Jr. struck at the 1989 Ryder Cup? (Take a look at the brief video.)

O'Connor died this week. This from EuropeanTour.com:
Christy O'Connor Jnr, a former Ryder Cup hero, European Tour and Senior Tour veteran, and pioneer of golf in Ireland, has died aged 67. The Galway native passed away in his sleep while on holiday in Tenerife. He is survived by his wife Ann, daughter Ann and son Nigel….O’Connor Jnr is best known for hitting one of the most famous shots in Ryder Cup history – a two-iron approach to the 18th green at The Belfry in 1989 which came to rest four feet from the hole, helping Tony Jacklin’s team retain the cup courtesy of a 14-14 tie.​

Source: Christy O'Connor Jr. and a Legendary 2-Iron Shot

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I will remember that shot for as long as I live. That was a fantastic Ryder Cup and it all came down the wire. Christy had been overlooked in the previous Ryder Cup and many saw him as a weak link. He was paired against Couples in the final day and again many had mentally conceded that game to Boom Boom.

As a fellow Irishman he had my and every Irish golf fan's 100% support behind him and he played sublime golf to keep himself in the match.

At the last Christy, with the match all square, a short but accurate driver put his tee show in the middle of the fairway, albeit a long way back. Freddie ripped one 50-60 yards past his Irish opponent. Once again everyone saw advantage USA. But Christy had other ideas. Taking his time in an oppressive cauldron of pressure with the outcome of the competition in his hands, he clipped a 2 iron from 229 yards that never left the pin coming to rest 3 ft from the cup.

Immediately the tables were turned and the heat was on Freddie. He buckled, missing the green with an 9 iron and handing the match to Christy.

That single shot propelled the affable Irishman in golfing history. RIP Christy ya legend!

🔥 Latest posts