• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleaning off the rust

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
It's starting to feel like lockdown is gradually lifting here. I have my first competitive round on Saturday, so I got a lesson last night to clear the cobwebs away. I wanted the pro to look at all the basics and I got some interesting feedback. Although my warmup was decent, when I starting hitting 6 iron shots for him, my misses were a slight block and a pull hook. Both were minor misses, probably still finding the edges of the green. But it's still a 2-way miss. No Bueno.

Here is the takeaway: Overall my set-up is decent. A few points, as always, to work on.

1. On the left hand of my grip, I need to shorten my thumb. It seems a very minor change, but one that proved very uncomfortable and uneasy to implement. The theory is the get better coverage of key points on the left hand. It's something for me to focus on and work to build it into the norm.

2. Ball position. I was hitting a 6 iron and he wanted me to move it back towards the center of my stance by 1 ball width. again, a small but important change.

3. This was the dynamite. He wants me to fire my left hip out of the way at impact. Think of my left femur going up and back as forcefully as I felt comfortable. As some of you know I had hip surgery several years ago. I think subconsciously I slide rather than turn. It took a few goes but when I got into it, it made a big difference, just focusing on this. I'm conscious that I don't want to force this as it may lead to hip issues, but it seemed to work like a light switch.

After several 6 irons, all with a little draw, no misses the right, I moved to the driver and 3 wood and I was smoking just about everything. Even he was a little taken back. My lockdown work swinging Speed Sticks may be paying off, added to the hip move. Is this the magic sauce I've been looking for? Looking forward to Saturday now.

Go and get a lesson, guys! 30 mins and I feel rejuvenated. It takes an expert to spot some minor things that are relatively easy to fix. Hopefully, it will make my game more enjoyable.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
As some of you know I had hip surgery several years ago. I think subconsciously I slide rather than turn.

I went off a building in 1977, landing on frozen ground. Blew my left knee apart. They screwed it back together with what seemed a keg of stainless steel screws. That was long before I could spell "golf". Over the years, I grew a bone spur into the battered joint. Was painful, but never seemed to have the time to get it worked on. 2009, they went in with a Skil saw, drill, and some epoxy and replaced the knee joint. From the time I began playing golf until late 2009, I could never get my weight through to the left due to pain. Even though I have zero pain, now... run, climb ladders, etc... it is so easy to revert to the old habit of ending up on the back foot. I fight it constantly. Understand what you are saying.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Was at jhmeg2's place to see his new "shank shack" with the simulator etc, It is awesome. It has a camera behind you and in front of you and records your swing. Then it spits out every number you could ever imagine. It also shows the ball/club head at impact. jhmeg2 is totally a genius when it comes to understanding this stuff and then advising fixes. I ended up with a full swing evaluation and I was horrible. In a short time jhmeg2 had me improving but a long way to go. Also found my KBS TD shaft was all wrong for me. We cut it down to 45" and I increased my numbers. Also is too heavy and too stiff. Overall, I am so happy to learn the stuff I have to work on. Thanks PZ.

Was bending my left arm, trying to help the ball up.

Shaft was wrong for my meager swing speed.

Shaft was too long.

Started out swinging too hard

Gripping the club too tight

Head was moving all over the place

Not able to take the full swing I was using and coming over the top

Lack of flexibility forces me to shorten backswing.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
When I saw that movie of my swing I couldn't believe the total Hack in it. This year's hibernation has been particularly nasty on my swing.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
When I saw that movie of my swing I couldn't believe the total Hack in it. This year's hibernation has been particularly nasty on my swing.
A movie of my swing would be a sequel to "Scream" or any of a half dozen horror shows. But then, I love being different!! :>)

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada

A movie of my swing would be a sequel to "Scream" or any of a half dozen horror shows. But then, I love being different!! :>)
I guess being left-handed isn’t the only thing Bubba and I have in common. I’ve never seen a video of my swing. Not sure I really want to either. It might be scarier than a Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I’m just not ready for that kind of nightmare!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I guess being left-handed isn’t the only thing Bubba and I have in common. I’ve never seen a video of my swing. Not sure I really want to either. It might be scarier than a Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I’m just not ready for that kind of nightmare!
I write and eat left-handed. Play golf right-handed. Maybe that's your problem. Need to begin playing right-handed!!!! :rolleyes:

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I write and eat left-handed. Play golf right-handed. Maybe that's your problem. Need to begin playing right-handed!!!! :rolleyes:
It very well could be the solution!! I’m cripplingly right handed, in everything except for sports?!?! I hit left, shoot left for both hockey and golf. And throw a curling stone with my left hand, for some reason?

🔥 Latest posts