• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleveland 460Ti Driver - Need some advice

golfer1

Aug 1, 2005
I went from a Cleveland 400 10.5º Launcher Driver this summer to the new 460Ti 10.5º Driver. I have played about 15 rounds with this new club and while it is very good for hitting them straight, I am averaging about 3'-10' of roll. I could play the ball back in my stance and hit a draw to get more roll, but then I lose control and start to hook the ball.

Both of these clubs have standard regular flex shafts, nothing exotic. My swing speed is not that fast, some where between 90-95, and my handicap is a 14.

I sold the Cleveland 400 to my golfing buddy who is about 8 years older than me, and he just loves it. Instead of me out driving him by 20-25 yards with my old 400 driver, he now out drive ME by 20-25 yards!

Should I:

1) Spend the money for a swing analysis?
2) Go down to a lower lofted driver?
3) Try a different shaft?

Has anyone here tried some of the many different shafts available on the 460Ti and what were your results?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
1st thing I would do is make sure you are contacting the center of the face. I have a problem of hitting inside of center with the big 460 drivers. Most are so forgiving there isn't really a noticible difference in feel, just distance. Try some impact tape or, as I do, just use a marker and color the line on a few range balls. It will wipe or wear off your driver face no problem.
I have an 8.5, 9.5 and 10.5 driver. I have the best control/workability with the 8.5 and an 85G shaft. The 10.5 is the longest, with a 60g shaft. I get about 15-20% of my distance after the ball lands with the 8.5. The 10.5 is almost entirely carry but that carry is like 265-270.

It all depends on what you are looking for. I see it basically as a spectrum, control on one end, distance on the other. I could probably put together a setup that would give me 280-285 going all distance but I'll hit 3times the fairways at 260-265 by going all control.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I have an 8.5, 9.5 and 10.5 driver. I have the best control/workability with the 8.5 and an 85G shaft. The 10.5 is the longest, with a 60g shaft. I get about 15-20% of my distance after the ball lands with the 8.5. The 10.5 is almost entirely carry but that carry is like 265-270.

I can see it now. Thirteen drivers plus a putter. Oh heck, just cut a 7-deg. driver down and putt with it. The "all-driver" bag. Would make WBL proud!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Eraser said: I can see it now. Thirteen drivers plus a putter. Oh heck, just cut a 7-deg. driver down and putt with it. The "all-driver" bag. Would make WBL proud!

Hmmmmmmmm!!!! Never thought of that....:confused:

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Should I:

1) Spend the money for a swing analysis?
2) Go down to a lower lofted driver?
3) Try a different shaft?

1)Probably should anyway, for iron referance as well. Lesson would probably be the best route.
2)Possibly, if you can demo drivers at a range(local course possibly) it might be worth inquiring.
3)See above two, a shaft made specifically for what you want might be better. Look at my two drivers, the 460 is a bit higher with the mid tip, and gets a little less roll. The 425 is great for wind because it's more penetrating.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I would say that the shaft you have in there currently is too tip soft and is ballooning your shots. Is it the stock Cleveland shaft?

Try getting into the shop and hit some other shafts like the NVS, ProLaunch or the V2. Pay specific attention to the carry distances that you are getting and the amount of spin. If the spin is too high, you'll balloon and get ZERO roll. What you want is a nice launch angle (like 14-16*) and good carry. That way, you'll maximize your roll and distance.

Good luck. Testing out shafts is always interesting for every club.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I can see it now. Thirteen drivers plus a putter. Oh heck, just cut a 7-deg. driver down and putt with it. The "all-driver" bag. Would make WBL proud!

I don't carry them all. I may switch up once in a while but the R5 is my main dog. Not as long with the heavier shaft but way more control. I have doubled my fairways the last few rounds and it showed.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Go on...carry them all...heh heh heh..... nobody's gonna know!! WBL says it's okay.

devil.jpg

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I had the same problem,I had the crappy Cleveland gold shaft in it,then changed to a decent shaft and it all stopped

OP
golfer1

golfer1

Aug 1, 2005
My 460 Ti has the staock gray colored shaft in it: 55g.350 tip, low kick point, Reg Flex.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
That crappy Fuji Launcher (grey one) reg flex shaft coupled with the high launching 10.5 launcher head is a recipe for sky high, no roll, balloon balls.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online