• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleveland CG14 wedges

Patlawman

Apr 7, 2005
Any comments good or bad on this new line of wedges from Cleveland with "Zip Grooves"? I need a new sand wedge and was eyeing the CG14 in the shop.

As long as I'm asking for questions, here's another one in connection with wedges. My PW is 48 degrees. I also carry a 60 degree wedge. Right now my existing sand wedge is 56 degrees but I'm wondering about using a 54 degree wedge as my "sand wedge". If I put a 54 degree wedge in my bag then there is an evenly dispersed 6 degrees between the PW (48 deg), the SW (54 deg) and the lob wedge (60 deg). Anyone thing this is a decent idea or should I keep mysand wedge at 56 degrees? The Cleveland CG14 comes in both 54 and 56 degrees.

Thanks!

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
I have a CG12 with the zip grooves and love it. When I replace my SW I'll go with the CG12 again.

As for your other question I'll let someone else answer as I don't have a 60* wedge. I will say I don't feel a need for one as I can hit a high short flop with my SW.

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
As for your other question I'll let someone else answer as I don't have a 60* wedge. I will say I don't feel a need for one as I can hit a high short flop with my SW.

I can hit a high short flop with my 8 iron.

RCI

Jul 26, 2008
I played the CG-12s and liked them, but now am on my second set of CG-14s. Hard to say what is their best feature. The feel is very good and whether the gel back is all hype or not I cannot say... I just like them. I do know the sole design and grinding allows a very consistent result from differing amounts of opening up the blade to add loft. There are many great wedges out there today.

I changed from a 56 to a 54 and am happier with the spacing between it and my 60 for short approach shots and around the green. I use the 54 on longish greenside sand shots on occasion, but normally use the 60 for most sand shots.

As to flop shots... how about Seve Ballesteros who reported won a bet against two other famous touring pros by claiming he could a hit green side bunker shot closer than they could using a 3-iron against their normal sand shot. Seve won, and reportedly wanted to do it again, but they would not bet against him the second time. Imagine opening up a 3-iron and sliding it under the ball out of the sand. He was a "feel" magician, no doubt.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I don't carry a 60º or a traditional 56º SW, I do have a 50º, 53º & 58º. For me the 53º gets the brunt of the work, so far it works perfectly fine for flop shots or out of the sand.

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
Any comments good or bad on this new line of wedges from Cleveland with "Zip Grooves"? I need a new sand wedge and was eyeing the CG14 in the shop.

As long as I'm asking for questions, here's another one in connection with wedges. My PW is 48 degrees. I also carry a 60 degree wedge. Right now my existing sand wedge is 56 degrees but I'm wondering about using a 54 degree wedge as my "sand wedge". If I put a 54 degree wedge in my bag then there is an evenly dispersed 6 degrees between the PW (48 deg), the SW (54 deg) and the lob wedge (60 deg). Anyone thing this is a decent idea or should I keep mysand wedge at 56 degrees? The Cleveland CG14 comes in both 54 and 56 degrees.

Thanks!
If I were you I would have a 52,56, and 60.... That is if you are afraid of having too big of gaps between wedges and are like me in the sense that half swings usually result in disaster....I have that combination and i dont think i would swith unless i got new irons with say a 45 degree pw.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
My 60* CG14 is probably my most used club, next to my putter. I use it everywhere from 105 and in. I love mine. I also have a CG14 in 54*--I don't use it enough--still not entirely comfortable with it.

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
How?

...Stupid 10 characters

Pull your lead foot out (quite a bit) and open the club face. If you have enough control with the head of the club you can put it anywhere you want and with the right back swing control your distance. I had to learn how to do this after I wrapped my PW around a tree in high school.

🔥 Latest posts