• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleveland CG14's?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Looking through the junk email folder I noticed one from TGW today with a link
Cleveland CG14 Series Wedges

I know others have said they liked the CG12's with the zip grooves, but I haven't heard much about the gel-backed irons - you guys think these will last?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Looking through the junk email folder I noticed one from TGW today with a link
Cleveland CG14 Series Wedges

I know others have said they liked the CG12's with the zip grooves, but I haven't heard much about the gel-backed irons - you guys think these will last?

I got the same email last night. Personally I dont like them, I guess I am to much of a traditionalist when it comes to my wedges, I like a clean bladelike look...

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
They'll last as long as it takes for Cleveland to come up with another line to replace the HiBore and new Gold and Red series! I thought these looked pretty nice, and are obviously the CG11 replacement, with the CG12s replacing the CG10s. I think the pending new Ping wedges look nicer though...

I hit the CG Gold irons last night when I sneaked into the hitting area at the local Golf Galaxy and sent some time hitting the demo clubs they had. I tried TM R7s, Ping i5s, G5s, Nike CCIs, Adams A2s, and numerous hybrids as well as the CGs, and thought the Clevelands were the nicest feeling of the lot.

OP
R

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I can't help but be reminded of the VAS (vibration absorbtion system) line they had - when I bought my VAS+ irons in '96 I thought they felt great - I hit a couple balls with them the other day and was sickened by how horrible they feel compared to my wishon 560's and macgregor m565

I have a cavity backed 53* wedge in the bag that i use like an 11 iron - my 58* is a traditionally shaped wedge that allows me to flop the ball or hit shots left handed and other silly things people do with wedges - I just don't see the point in carrying 52*, 56*, 60* all in this semi-cavity design - wouldn't you be better served if the gap wedge matched your PW and wouldn't want the versatility of a traditionally shaped LW? everyone likes/uses different clubs, but for my game, I don't think these would make sense

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
Dont waste your money... If u want Zip's buy the Cg 12's... and even those are suspect to change this comming January... the USGA is thinking about eliminating special grooves, and saying V grooves only. Period

OP
R

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Dont waste your money... If u want Zip's buy the Cg 12's... and even those are suspect to change this comming January... the USGA is thinking about eliminating special grooves, and saying V grooves only. Period

I'm not too worried about the USGA - isn't it still just a proposal?
USGA Announces Two New Equipment Proposals Regarding Grooves And Adjustability Of Golf Clubs | USGA

looks like '09-'10 anyway - I hate too think how much hoing will happen between now and then....

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
I dont know how they would play but I have an instant dislike to them just beacuse of the look. However I do love Clevelands CGred irons.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.