• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleveland CG4 Tour

Lefty11

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here uses these clubs. I'm considering buying them on impulse because of all the good things heard and the new Steel technology thats used.

Anyone here who owns these sticks have there own little review for it? I consider myself a mid-handicapper, my current sticks are the Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro. I think I need something a little more forgiving and a little added distance on my Irons.

I wish I knew more about the tours. I've played the CG4 and CG2 for a round each. I've hit a lot of balls with the CG2s and prefer their address look and feel to the CG4s. What are the differences between the CG4 and the CG4 tour? The CG2 is in my top 3 best feeling irons that I have ever played. My good friend played Hogans his entire career and switched to the CG2s. Have you compared the Hogan vs. CG2 vs. CG4 vs. CG4 tour side by side?

I wish I knew more about the tours. I've played the CG4 and CG2 for a round each. I've hit a lot of balls with the CG2s and prefer their address look and feel to the CG4s. What are the differences between the CG4 and the CG4 tour? The CG2 is in my top 3 best feeling irons that I have ever played. My good friend played Hogans his entire career and switched to the CG2s. Have you compared the Hogan vs. CG2 vs. CG4 vs. CG4 tour side by side?

The CG4 Tour is a mix between the CG2 and CG4. Thinner top line than CG4. Has less Offset then CG4 as well, however a little more forgiving than CG2.

I'll actually receiving a Demo set this weekend to try it out.

They should be about the softest "feel" out but their new steel is NOT steel. It's ductile iron which has graphite "nodules" which is proven to absorb vibrations and noise. I almost bought a set instead of Pings but could not find a place to try them out. Cleveland is good stuff. :)

The CG4 Tour is a mix between the CG2 and CG4. Thinner top line than CG4. Has less Offset then CG4 as well, however a little more forgiving than CG2.

That is interesting, wonder why they didn't name them CG3s, seems less confusing :hunter: . I too consider myself a mid-capper at about an 11. I did not feel that the CG2s were too demanding at all, I actually thought they were perfect, but if you can get the look of the CG2 with the forgiveness of a CG4, sounds like a good combo. Please leave a review.

All I know about is the CG4 (not the Tour version). My friend, who is a terrible ballstriker, improved dramatically with these clubs. You sound like a decent player, so I would make sure you try them out. Great clubs, I'm sure, but you've got to play with them to know if they're for you.

All I know about is the CG4 (not the Tour version). My friend, who is a terrible ballstriker, improved dramatically with these clubs. You sound like a decent player, so I would make sure you try them out. Great clubs, I'm sure, but you've got to play with them to know if they're for you.

Should be getting them in the mail today, and will have them for the weekend. I'll test them side by side with my Hogans at the range all weekend.

Finally, one up my alley and I'm busting it at work! I have had the Cg4 tour for about a year now, so I can give you some impressions. You need to know that I am a sucker for Cleveland irons, and I have hit very few other sets.

It is my feeling that this iron is a very, very good compromise iron. And I mean everything, feel, forgiveness, looks, everything. It is the 30-.06 of golf irons.

Looks: I personally like a little bit of offset, and this set has enough, probably a tad too much for some. Think Mizuno Mp-60 times 1.5-2. The topline is a bit thick, similar to the CG4. The blade length is just right, not too long, but big enough for forgiveness. I love the blade length and height. Its just the right size for me.

Feel: Feel is such a personal thing, I almost hate to comment on it. I think Cleveland did a great job with the CMM material. Very soft feel on the whole face, mishits let you know but don't kill you. Pured shots not as sweet as Mizuno Mp-60 or 33, but very close, IMHO.

Forgiveness: This irons shine in the forgiveness category for more of a players irons. More so then a CG2. I tend to hit the ball thin, and the sticks help me. The sweet spot is large. I would consider it the size of a quarter in the bottom half of the face, maybe even larger.

Durability: This area is a slight disappointment for me. I have about forty rounds on these, and they are showing some wear. I believe wear would be similar to a forged iron. They do ding up.

To sum it up, I have gone from a 14 to a 7.5 while using these. I have dedicated myself to practice during that time, but I know these irons have helped. The only way these get replaced would be with Mizuno or Muira.

Hope that helps you. Jon

Have you compared the Hogan vs. CG2 vs. CG4 vs. CG4 tour side by side?

I hit CG2, CG4, CG4 tour. The Tour is perfectly between the two. I think the feel difference is due to the fact the CG4 use the Actionlite, and the CG2 the Dynamic Gold.

Good review, Jon.

Finally, one up my alley and I'm busting it at work! I have had the Cg4 tour for about a year now, so I can give you some impressions. You need to know that I am a sucker for Cleveland irons, and I have hit very few other sets.

It is my feeling that this iron is a very, very good compromise iron. And I mean everything, feel, forgiveness, looks, everything. It is the 30-.06 of golf irons.

Looks: I personally like a little bit of offset, and this set has enough, probably a tad too much for some. Think Mizuno Mp-60 times 1.5-2. The topline is a bit thick, similar to the CG4. The blade length is just right, not too long, but big enough for forgiveness. I love the blade length and height. Its just the right size for me.

Feel: Feel is such a personal thing, I almost hate to comment on it. I think Cleveland did a great job with the CMM material. Very soft feel on the whole face, mishits let you know but don't kill you. Pured shots not as sweet as Mizuno Mp-60 or 33, but very close, IMHO.

Forgiveness: This irons shine in the forgiveness category for more of a players irons. More so then a CG2. I tend to hit the ball thin, and the sticks help me. The sweet spot is large. I would consider it the size of a quarter in the bottom half of the face, maybe even larger.

Durability: This area is a slight disappointment for me. I have about forty rounds on these, and they are showing some wear. I believe wear would be similar to a forged iron. They do ding up.

To sum it up, I have gone from a 14 to a 7.5 while using these. I have dedicated myself to practice during that time, but I know these irons have helped. The only way these get replaced would be with Mizuno or Muira.

Hope that helps you. Jon

Just spent some time on the Range with them. Let me tell you one thing, I've never been able to get my 3 or 4 irons into the air the way I can with these clubs, the ball just launches off the club face.

Still having a tough time judging the distance (windy day) but I think I gained about 5 yards mainly due to the fact that these this sticks are a little lighter then my current set (Hogans Apex Edge Pro).

Jon Described the looks perfectly and they fit my eye as well. I can also really work the ball well with these clubs.

As for forgiveness, these clubs are very good at it. On off center shots the ball still launches off the club face while losing only about 10-15 yards.

I still have a few more days to work with these clubs and get used to them. I seem to be hitting the shorter irons extremely high in comparrison to my Hogan sticks. This worries me on windy days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520