• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleveland HiBore, initial thoughts...then the range session...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Well, I thought I'd review the Cleveland HiBore before trying a different shaft in it sometime next week. I tried to go about the trial with an open mind, but I will admit, I am biased somewhat with the Launcher history, plus having one in my bag.

Anyways, here are my initial thoughts.

Club Specs:

Cleveland HiBore, 9.5*, Aldila NVS 65 (68g, .350 tip, mid launch, D3), 45" playing length

Initial thoughts and history

Having been a Cleveland Launcher 460 advocate for some time now, I was initially happy to see Cleveland release a new driver that "exceeded the expectations for consistency" of guys playing on Tour. This made me salivate to no end.

But, when pictures of the "Hi Bore" started to surface, I was apprehensive. "It looks terrible" and "Lefty sat on it" were the normal comments. Could I really have that club in my bag? That sick, ugly thing on the end of a stick?

My first trial with the HiBore was about 8 months ago in a simulator. Armed with man's biggest mistake, the Aldila NV in stiff flex, I was hesitant to give the HiBore my highest grade - "Better than the 460". :D The thing that was noted with the lack of "marine golf" that the HiBore produces. No left, right, left attitude. It was solid and felt great off the face.

But does hitting in the net really give a club justice?

I waited. I patiently bided my time, waiting for my opportunity (and, for the price to drop). I used that time to push another winner, the Launcher 460, which I still maintain is one of the best bang for the bucks out there for a driver.

About a month ago, I had another go with the HiBore. I had heard everything from "This thing is a flop. It's as terrible performing as it is looking" from "The HiBore is the next generation, light years ahead of it's time." I was pretty much on the fence.

My demo started with a Grafalloy ProLaunch, which for me, isn't a good shaft match. I'm a high ball hitter to begin with, so the 215 carry and 17* launch angle average was getting a bit drab. On to the V2 by UST, where I was carrying 268 average and getting 300ish drives over and over again. I had fallen in love.

My search then began that day. I looked high and low, hoping to find that diamond in the rough, something I could start on from the grass roots. With the hype and insane press that Accuflex was getting, I figured - no, NEEDED - to get a Evolution into something. I stared at my 460 Ti, debating....silenty...crying into my hands at what I should do.

Do I put the EVO in there?

Will it be as good as my Grafalloy Blue?

What about the COMP NT that you raved about in the TEE driver trial run?

I was at a low.

September 16th came....my BD. (Thanks to those that passed on wishes). I talked myself into heading down to the Ho Emporium, er, the Golf Shop to maybe give that HiBore another go. 2 swings in, I was buying one.

Friday, September 29th, it arrived. I nabbed a minty HiBore off Flea-Bay for a song. The "unfortunate" part was that it came mated to an Aldila NVS Stiff, which was my bloody nemesis - or so I thought. I had an EVO on it's way already, so the shaft didn't mean squat.

I just got back from the range, and boy, am I eating my words on the NVS...well, sort of. :)

The guy next to me interrupts me after hitting about 30 balls 285+ dead straight and says with every bit of coy he could, "Look, if that's all your gonna do is hit perfect drive after perfect drive, then you're gonna have to move down the range, because it's making me sick."

Snap.

I'm 99% sure it's the head, but 1% of me thinks this shaft is very, very easy to swing. It reacts well to smooth swings, and doesn't budge much when you go after it.

I am right now removing the Launcher Ti 460 as my "Have to buy" for a driver. This HiBore is every bit as forgiving as anything I've ever hit (including the 454 Big Bertha, the Comp, the R7 or anything else) and consistently straight.

I can't emphasize enough how straight this thing is. You just point and shoot. And the ball ends up there.

Rumours flew around that the HiBore has a little "left" in it. Not so, at least not for me. My Launcher, if I get lazy, gets left. But this thing, I'm sure if you swung one handed it would go 225 and straight.

My only knock (and I blame the shaft on this) is that my Launcher IS longer. Probably 10 yards longer in carry, which is maybe 20 yards total.

Wait for my full review when the EVO gets in there early this upcoming week.

SandPiper, enjoy this shaft. It's really a shame you're gonna throw it in a 3 wood, but to each their own. But if you put a good swing on this thing, it's gonna go forever.:)

HiBore. I'm telling you, it's the next big drug on the golf market. Nike and Callaway are already following suit with "dented" drivers for 07.

You can pick up a HiBore for a song these days. Asthetics play a large role, but after 3 swings, you're too busy smiling to notice.:smilie_cl

To be continued...

R35

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
So you hate the NV but the NVS ain't so bad? And if your Accuflex Evolution doesn't work good is it gonna get a V2? This is as good as a soap opera!!! But you are making me curious about the HiBore. You weren't wrong about the Tour Edge Exotics, that's for sure. The HiBores are gonna have to come down below $200 before I consider them. I mean the REAL ones and not the counterfeit ones!! :)

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The NV and the NVS aren't animals of the same breed.

The NVS is a badger...slow and methodical, not making much of a stink until you corner it.

The NV is a flamingo. Limp and lame. Boo urns.

R35

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Lol, im about the same opinion on the NV rock... altough its the shaft in my old reliable club... (Titty 983k) i guess it just works with that club... i dont like the shaft, but i hit it great in that club. I have a Mitsi Rayon in my new beauty Rock, so i dont need a new driver shaft, although im guna talk to my pro and ask about if i should cut it wat itll do... if its not a fit for the 3W, ill throw it into my 905 to switch that damned speeder shaft out. WE SHALL SEE. (btw Rock, im still a HiBore hater!:p)

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
The Hi-Bore is a beast especially with a pro launch blue that combo is just dead straight all the time.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i hit them good and straight when i tried them too, but lost distance and it never felt like i hit one solid......

how high are you teeing this thing??

also, i've been seeing the counter advertisement models where the head is on a 4" section of a shaft or something floating around ebay.....are these actual heads that will work....or plastic crap...

not that i don't already mash my Adams into the next county.....:)

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I tee the ball as high as I would tee say, a Callaway Warbird. Very low. The ball just explodes off the face. Hitting it with the conventional tee height (top of the crown at the equator of the ball) results in a high pop up with lots of carry and zero roll. Tee it low, you drop about 4* of launch and roll out an extra 30-40 yards.

R35

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
R35 you change your own shafts out don't you?

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
R35 you change your own shafts out don't you?

I don't pull graphite, only steel. I (for some strange reason) can't justify the cost of an extractor. Or maybe SWMBO doesn't, one or the other. ;)

But I do install and swingweight all my own stuff, yes.

R35

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Glad you like it, but update your bloody signature you bum, I'm getting confused.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Just got back from the range again...

I have to reiterate how straight this thing is. I am flat out bombing this thing, and I hit 25-30 drives that you coulda laid a blanket on they were so straight.

If I put the EVO in this thing and get tighter dispersion, I'm gonna try and hit a ball, then hit that ball with the next one! LOL...

HiBore...whoda thunk?

:idhitit:

R35

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
My my my. Do we have a testimony saying it is better than the Launcher?

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
My my my. Do we have a testimony saying it is better than the Launcher?

Without a doubt. I'll put that out there in writing:

The Cleveland HiBore is better than the Launcher 460 Ti in terms of consistency and dispersion.

It might be 10 yards shorter, but i'll take 15/15 fairways at 285 all day, thank you.

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.