• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleveland HiBore, initial thoughts...then the range session...

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
enjoy the....

well, you know the drill. Nice setup. Really.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
But, when pictures of the "Hi Bore" started to surface, I was apprehensive. "It looks terrible" and "Lefty sat on it" were the normal comments. Could I really have that club in my bag? That sick, ugly thing on the end of a stick?

To be continued...

R35

introducing the new signing for Mills & Boon....:)
Congrats on the new job Rock!

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
introducing the new signing for Mills & Boon....:)
Congrats on the new job Rock!

If I had any idea what you were talking about here, I'm sure it would be hilarious at my expense. :D

R35

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mills_and_Boon

With lots of dynamic verbs and actions, Rock steadfastly thought about his latest shaft pull but he was at a low....so his seach began that day...until...debating....silenty...there he was crying into his hands at what he should do..."my bloody nemesis - or so I thought" he ranted on....

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

All you need to add to the plot now is a busty heroine (Token Hotie??), a trusty steed (Cayenne?) and an evil villan (Ping the Merciless??). Then you are golden...

Strider

Mar 16, 2005
great review rock. i played with a tall guy (6' 4") that had a high bore and was really suprised by how low he hit his drives with it. especially with the very low cog. i asked him if he always hit it that low because it seemed like every tall guy i've played with always hit the ball so high, but he said only with that driver.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I took a couple of swings this weekend with the Hibore at Golf Galaxy. Man this is a nice driver.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'm with ya now, IG. ;)

The HiBore, once it reaches sub 200 bucks, will be the steal of the century.

If you can get one for less than that, I suggest nabbing it.

R35

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Pre-Bore

Gentlemen, I present the HiBore of the 1990's:
2006_1002DVCvero0005.JPG

2006_1002DVCvero0009.JPG

2006_1002DVCvero0007.JPG

2006_1002DVCvero0006.JPG

2006_1002DVCvero0008.JPG

Any guesses on who designed it?

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Northwestern, by the looks of the face.

R35

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Hint: He has written a few books. One that you have read.

This design was also one of the pioneers in going with a hollow interior club head. Metal woods prior to this design had foam inside the club head rather than the hollow caverns that today's heads have. Thus the term "Foamless" on the skirt.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Hint: He has written a few books. One that you have read.

This design was also one of the pioneers in going with a hollow interior club head. Metal woods prior to this design had foam inside the club head rather than the hollow caverns that today's heads have. Thus the term "Foamless" on the skirt.

Wishon. Not surprising with his studies done on weight adjustment and the effects of it on the clubface.

Other than the face, I actually don't mind that clubhead.

R35

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Faces with lines on them? What is this world coming to!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Wishon. Not surprising with his studies done on weight adjustment and the effects of it on the clubface.

Other than the face, I actually don't mind that clubhead.

R35

Wishon put those lines on some of his Wishon line as well. Kind of annoying and so 80's. :D

This clubhead was a Golfsmith offering during Wishon's time there (yes, component clubs do offer technological advances before the OEM's in some cases). I got it for next to nothing in a grab bag deal they were offering to club builders to make up test clubs on the cheap. If you really want to date the design, one of the shafts in the deal was a "bubble" shaft. I forget the year of the design, but I am thinking it was around 1996.

As far as value goes, it is not worth a thing other than nostalgia. Stainless steel head. Smaller than a modern 3-wood head in volume. Who knew back in the 1990's that all metal wood heads would go Foamless and that Vijay would be swinging a dented driver? :D

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Who new in the 90s that a stainless steel head for a driver would be absurd.

🔥 Latest posts