• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleveland wedges??

Alex Smith

Jan 16, 2014
Country
Canada Canada
I was checking out new wedges to add to my set and came across Cleveland CG15 wedges. But there seems to be a lot of different models of the CG15s and can't really seem to find the differences between each one. I think I heard that the "Zip Grooves" were going to be illegal in 2024 so there's a newer "Tour Zip Grooves", but what are the differences between CG15 Issue, DSG, and the original?? Thanks

mlgolf

Dec 7, 2012
Country
United States United States
CG15s is the last model of non conforming groves, and the shape is a bit more round then the original cg15. DGS (dynamic sole grind) is similar to a C grind; heel, toe, trailing edge relief for shotmaking.

OP
Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Jan 16, 2014
Country
Canada Canada
CG15s is the last model of non conforming groves, and the shape is a bit more round then the original cg15. DGS (dynamic sole grind) is similar to a C grind; heel, toe, trailing edge relief for shotmaking.

what about the tour zip grooves

mlgolf

Dec 7, 2012
Country
CG15s Feature Zip Grooves, Laser-Milled Face

NOVEMBER 16, 2009 BY GNN

The new CG15 wedges from Cleveland Golf/Srixon features Zip Grooves and a Laser-Milled face.

Zip Grooves are created through the consistent milling of each groove to maximum conforming dimensions.

Zip Grooves (click to enlarge)
The CNC machine form cutter bit is designed to the exact shape of the groove, with the integrity of each groove maintained through application of a proprietary coating for protection during the sandblasting process.

Groove volume in the CG15s is designed to channel more debris at impact to improve ball-to-clubface contact for more consistent shotmaking.

The Laser Milled face is created using a laser to create four calibrated texture lines between each groove for a consistent surface texture to the conforming limit for improved ball-to-clubface friction and ball spin.

The CG15s also have an S Sole Grind, a three-segment sole feature that is designed to increase versatility on shots around the green.

They have a wider sole width on the heel section for better forgiveness on open-faced shots by reducing digging, particularly on bunker shots.

CG15 Wedges come in Black Pearl, Chrome, and Oil Quench finishes.
The centre section has a standard sole width for square-faced shots, while the toe section has material removed for reduced turf interaction and drag,

The CG15 shape profile is slightly smaller than previous Cleveland wedge models to reduce turf interference and they have slight offset to encourage spin on downward strikes. The face is slightly thicker for better feel.

The CG15s offer a wide variety of bounce and loft options for players of all levels. Low, Standard and High Bounce options are displayed with a three-dot system. The bounce value in degrees is engraved on each sole to provide information to help in the selection and fitting processes.

The CG15s come with a Traction Wedge Shaft.

Meanwhile, the CG15 DSG has all the features of the CG15s with a Dynamic Sole Grind that allows players to open the clubface easier at address.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Yes I do. It is by far the most enjoyable part of the game for me.
Unless you regularly place your tee shots within wedge range of the green, using a wedge that much only means you're (you're being any arbitrary person) not hitting enough greens. That said, I like some wedge play as well.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Unless you regularly place your tee shots within wedge range of the green, using a wedge that much only means you're (you're being any arbitrary person) not hitting enough greens. That said, I like some wedge play as well.
Well he might just play wedges the whole way.

mlgolf

Dec 7, 2012
Country

Has nothing to do with my GIR. I shoot in the mid 70's. It started with grinding them and evaluating their performance afterwards. When I do miss a green, my wedges save my ass most of the time. I spend a lot of time working on 125 to 100 yd shots

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Has nothing to do with my GIR. I shoot in the mid 70's. It started with grinding them and evaluating their performance afterwards. When I do miss a green, my wedges save my ass most of the time. I spend a lot of time working on 125 to 100 yd shots
The phrase inside the parentheses was put there to let you know I wasn't talking about you in particular, or your GIR's, or your score. I thought you'd catch that...

mlgolf

Dec 7, 2012
Country
The phrase inside the parentheses was put there to let you know I wasn't talking about you in particular, or your GIR's, or your score. I thought you'd catch that...
Got it.. I interpreted it as if you were asking if I miss a lot of greens or hitting a lot of wedges for arbitrary reasons...

Last edited:

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I like to practice with my wedges mainly because I can get some quality practice in my back yard. I can work on 5-25 yd pitches and varying the trajectories of each shot. I dont need a huge range to help my scores.

🔥 Latest posts