• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleveland's Zip Grooves

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
This question is for the Cleveland wedge users out there, hopefully someone can give me some input. I currently play three CG11 wedges that are great, but they were a year or two before the Zip Grooves were introduced. I love my 52 and 56 and won't be changing them around. I am considering switching my 60 out for one with Zip Grooves, in hopes of getting more spin. Anyone have experience with the newer wedges with these grooves that have an opinion, I'd love to hear it.

My other thought was trying a Callaway x tour wedges with the mac daddy grooves or the new JAWS...?

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
CG12 Zip Grooves - not even a pimple on a Spin Milled wedges ass.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I bought three CG12s (50º, 54º, 58º) some time ago since I was amazed at my CG10 Lob Wedge. They lasted ONE WEEK in my bag and sold them for half the price just to get rid of them soon.
Don't waste your money. Go for the Callaway's or try the new CG15s (they seem to have very good reviews) but don't come near the CG12s.

The Zip Grooves won't deliver any more spin than the CG10s do, and tey are a million years behind MD grooves, spin milled Vokey's, RAC Z-Grooves, etc

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I'm going to keep looking, as I still have all kinds of time before any courses open in Southern Ontario. But when the sun starts shining and you can hear birds chirping... the little voice starts in my head, "golf, golf, golf." Then I start getting crazy ideas about changing this or that. It really is an illness. I'm glad there are venues like this for the sick to come and vent.

A huge golf sale is coming up soon, so I might see what I can find there. I had a Callaway SW which I liked a lot. Wouldn't be surprised if I end up with one again!!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
If you can spin the ball well with your current wedges, you don't need Mack Daddy or Zip grooves.

IMO, Spin Milled wedges are overrated for spin.

Here's my pick of the week: Scratch 8620 cast. Milled faces and fantastic spin without shredding balls. $99 per with KBS Tour shafts. Can't go wrong for that price. And, you get to choose your grind, have them custom stamped and they look like a million bucks.

Hit up Rory or Ken for a set. They're the shit.

R35

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Damn, I'll have to agree with Rock here..

Scratch makes some of THE nicest wedges OUT there. E-mail Rory here.. He'll hook you up on those, and you will SAVE money over going with a bigger OEM.

I have a set of Smoked TM z-Grooves, and I like them enough.. I have some scratch wedges as well, just don't like the grind I have anymore for the club I have..

fredcouplesfan

bring da lulz
Jun 4, 2005
Hey Rock I'm definately interested in some of those wedges. Is Rory Indacup or something like that on here? I dont really understand the hate for the cg12's, I like my 54 pretty well and I can spin it just as much as my old spin milled's. Grooves won't matter as much to a high spin player.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Hey Rock I'm definately interested in some of those wedges. Is Rory Indacup or something like that on here? I dont really understand the hate for the cg12's, I like my 54 pretty well and I can spin it just as much as my old spin milled's. Grooves won't matter as much to a high spin player.

Yep, Rory is Indacup and Ken is Victory. Hit either one of those guys up and you'll have it made in the shade. Or go low in the snow, whichever is applicable to your current situation. :thumbs up:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada

As Lefty pointed out, Rory is Indacup and Ken is VictoryCustomGolf. Both are great guys to work with.

My colleague just picked up a new set of CG12's for this year. They're a great looking wedge and would perform very well.

That said, for the money, you can't go wrong with a set of Scratch wedges. I was just reading that Ari is bringing in 20,000 heads in the next order, as demand for them is extremely high. Christie Kerr is playing them on the LPGA, and of course, Ryan Moore, amoung others. And those KBS shafts are smooth and pure. Best bang for the buck, easily.

That said, the CG12's will do an admirable job in anyone's bag. Don't be scared away by spin, it'll always be there when you need it in a pinch.

R35

wirehair

Apr 29, 2005
Once more, I may not know everything I understand. I use my wedges a lot from 10-20 yards because I can't hit a green. On those shots my 54* SM Vokey gives me noticeably better stoppage than my 56* Zip CG12. Not only that, but the Vokey's feel smoother on contact, while the Cleveland has a more "clicky" feel. While the feel aspect might just be in my head, the stoppage factor is as real as it gets.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Once more, I may not know everything I understand. I use my wedges a lot from 10-20 yards because I can't hit a green. On those shots my 54* SM Vokey gives me noticeably better stoppage than my 56* Zip CG12. Not only that, but the Vokey's feel smoother on contact, while the Cleveland has a more "clicky" feel. While the feel aspect might just be in my head, the stoppage factor is as real as it gets.

Aren't you retired? Get to the range, hit some greens for chrissakes! LOL.

R35

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
If you can spin the ball well with your current wedges, you don't need Mack Daddy or Zip grooves.

IMO, Spin Milled wedges are overrated for spin.

Here's my pick of the week: Scratch 8620 cast. Milled faces and fantastic spin without shredding balls. $99 per with KBS Tour shafts. Can't go wrong for that price. And, you get to choose your grind, have them custom stamped and they look like a million bucks.

Hit up Rory or Ken for a set. They're the shit.

R35

Not a 100% true, Scratch makes great wedges with affordable custom options however, they will shred balls right out of the box, you'll need to hit them out of the sand a bunch if you want the ball shredding to stop. The grooves are probably some of the sharpest you'll find when new.

fredcouplesfan

bring da lulz
Jun 4, 2005
Not a 100% true, Scratch makes great wedges with affordable custom options however, they will shred balls right out of the box, you'll need to hit them out of the sand a bunch if you want the ball shredding to stop. The grooves are probably some of the sharpest you'll find when new.
Not a problem, I always break in new wedges on the range anyway.

wirehair

Apr 29, 2005
Aren't you retired? Get to the range, hit some greens for chrissakes! LOL.

R35

Jeez Louise this is a tough room.- I'm trying, I'm trying. Right now it's dead winter, wet rainy and just nasty. I can hardly walk anyway, and tendinitis in my left elbow. Not only that, but I've got a $7 haircut and lost my W-2's - gimme a break.
:faintthud:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada

I can't say from personal experience, but all initial reviews of the 8620's state otherwise...

Jeez Louise this is a tough room.- I'm trying, I'm trying. Right now it's dead winter, wet rainy and just nasty. I can hardly walk anyway, and tendinitis in my left elbow. Not only that, but I've got a $7 haircut and lost my W-2's - gimme a break.
:faintthud:

You paid $7 for that?

R35

🔥 Latest posts