• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Clevleand CG' gold/redVS Titleist Ap's

calmei1

Carlosja
Mar 10, 2008
Im thinking about getting some new irons in the next month or two. Right now I play a the Ben Hogan Edge cft with a pretty wide sole and cavity back. I am putting a lot of time on the range, and I am breaking into the high 80's and I feel as though I can work the ball but my irons don't allow it as much as I feel they could. I have been playing golf for 2 years now and to be in the low 80's i just have to cut down my putts . I am averaging about 32-35 putts a round.

I am deciding between the Cleveland CG GOLDS, CG REDS, and I am also going to wait for the new Titleist AP's to come out. I love my titleist wedges so I feel its only fair to wait and give them a shot.

I do know this for sure. I def want Rifle Project x shafts on my irons . Obviously the better players and tour pros all love these shafts for irons. Only problem is none of these clubs come with this shaft except for the Titleist ap2. What can I do??? Also can anyone offer any feedback with the CG gold and reds???

thanks

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
If I was to buy any Cleveland " PLayers Irons " It would be their CG1s, they are very small headed, nice weight and good feel.

And Titleist AP2's are the real deal. Any other cleveland against the AP2's are an obvious answer to me, Titleist. Hit both, choose. But Im going to say AP2s

OP
C

calmei1

Carlosja
Mar 10, 2008
wow. i thought i would get more responses. Is there a trick to get people to reply? something in the title?

los

Hmbre97

Jan 10, 2008
wow. i thought i would get more responses. Is there a trick to get people to reply? something in the title?

los

One reason for lack of replies may be the fact that the Titleist irons just came out so not everyone has hit them yet to give an opinion.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
It also sounds like you pretty much have your mind made up. Now if you had said, "I'm looking to buy some new irons, any suggestions?" You would have be bombarded with answers.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I know the Reds/Golds (two completely different irons, BTW) have been out for a while, and have some review history. The AP-series is brand new, and very few people have hit them. Wildcat, how exactly do you know that they are the "real deal"? Have you hit them? Let's have a review. And would CG1's really be appropriate for anyone but a low single-digit player? I'm not being a smartass; I've always thought the CG1 is a tough club to hit well.

Calmei1 - there are lots of great CB irons out on the market right now, and it behooves you to spend your time hitting them until you find a set that makes you say "these are the ones". Reviews are like cheese. Some people like Swiss, some like Cheddar, and some people can't tell the difference between Colby and Limburger. You say you want Project-X shafts. Why? Because tour players like them? Or because you've played them and like them?

OP
C

calmei1

Carlosja
Mar 10, 2008
well i hit the shafts but they were someone else clubs. I have just come to realized that stock shafts, especially the one on my Hi-Bore are crap. I like the idea behind the flighted shafts. Anyone have any review on that? You are right. But, i know that some people got their hands on some ap's just wanted some sneak peak behind them. I just recently demo'd the mizuno mx 25. I really liked them so now they are in the hunt, along side the Cleveland gold/red and Titleist ap 1 or 2. I am just now breaking into the 80's, been playing for 2 years now and I am getting pretty serious about the game. I feel like I am ready for a forged club. I just want to get on a monitor and hit the irons for hours on end but well see.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
If you want to go away from super game improvement irons I would look at a cavity back with minimal offset, thinner top line but something with some forgiveness. I have been playing for awhile 10+ years, and have gotten a lot more serious about golf the last 3-4 years. I shoot in the low 80’s to high 70’s and I can hit blades when I’m swinging good but on my bad days I struggle with them. That’s why I’m playing Taylormade Lt’s. They are a midsize cavity back with minimal offset, thin top line but have a lower center of gravity than a blade and are more forgiving. I can still work the ball with my LT’s.

If I was you I would go to a golfsmith or another store that lets you hit clubs and try the Mp57’s, 60’s, and MX 25’s, Titleist 755’s, and maybe the Ap2’s, bridgestone J33 CB or the new J36 CB and Pocket Cavity when they come out. Taylormade doesn’t really make a in-between GI iron they have about 5 GI irons with big heads and offset and the players line is just pretty much the R7 Tp, I do think the Tp come with PX’s. These are the ones that came off the top of my head first and some of them might or might not be the best fit for you. I don’t think most people would tell you to go looking for a player’s cavity or a blade style iron set if you have only been playing for 2 years IMO.

Case

Apr 10, 2009
the golds are for mid to high handicappers, very forgiving. the reds are for low handis, more control but mis hits arent as forgiving. as for the ap2s? i have no idea.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
This is a year old, but thanks so much for the insite...anyone else miss WCG?

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Every group needs someone to pick on and he made it so easy. I guess Jeff is picking up the slack as he is also a pretty easy target. BTW Jeff how is the UPS man's kid developing these days?

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Every group needs someone to pick on and he made it so easy. I guess Jeff is picking up the slack as he is also a pretty easy target. BTW Jeff how is the UPS man's kid developing these days?

That would be MC's kid.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.