• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Closing out rounds...How to

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
this is a problem that has just arisen in the past two months or so. before then i would start off with a bad front 9, then finish strong on the back. then at regionals for those of you who don't know, i had the front nine of my life at +2, 38 then absolutely fell apart on the back with a 53 . i'm glad i can get off to a good start now, b/c now i'm in contention in any round from the start, but i don't know how much more heartbreak i can take coming down the backward 9.

do you guys have any ways that you keep it together coming down the closing holes, or ways to keep your round alive in a close match or something. b/c this just keeps happening and i'm sick of it.

thanks

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
two words; short game.

this morning I was having a pretty so-so round but managed to finish up with three straight pars. I missed all three fairways from the tee and didn't hit a GIR; it was three straight up and downs (the last one was even a sand save!).

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Youngun, I think that is the real nature/challange of the game. Keeping the wheels from falling off. Your post makes me cringe as I am often in the same situation , even after 8 and then end up with a 40 for the nine. 39 or 40 on the front, end up with a 85 or 88. Keeping it together is what it is all about (think phil in the open :) )

My suggestion is to ignore whatever score you have going, just play it one shot at a time. Whatever you have done (good or bad) is behind you. Just focus on each shot or putt that is facing you at the moment. Add em up, review em, analyze them, moan about em, brag about em, whatever - after the round. But keep your focus on only the shot at hand. The shot right now is the only one you have control over at the moment, the last hole is over, deal and think about the next tee when you get there.
Thats not to say dont think about what the score is in competition, but use that info only for planning the shot facing you, i.e. if your up two going into 18 use that info to decide whether to go for the par five green over water in two or not. But once you choose your strategy just concentrate on the shot you are addressing. Whether the putt is for birdie or double bogey, what does it matter? your problem at the moment is to make that putt, or at worst leave the ball in tap in range. We cant control the past and the future isn't here yet.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
About "closing out rounds"

When they say that golf is played between the ears, this is a big part of what they are talking about. Dave Stockton, Sr. recommends not keeping your score on a card, or perhaps leavings some holes out. The idea is to trick yourself into not thinking about anything but the shot at hand as you have been wisely advised. I like Walter Hagan's method of mental preparation for a round: "I will make three mistakes this round. Therefore, when I make one, I will just say to myself, 'That was number one.'" This helps prevent the jolt from a bad shot that can sometimes allow all those negative vibes to start. If you have a fifteen handicap, you will probably make at least fifteen mistakes and still shoot your average score!!!

What is the best mental state to be in to be the most consistent from the start to the finish of a round? It is doubtful that one can stay "pumped up" an entire round, but you certainly must be involved with the game. If you become overly "laid back", you will probably make mistakes from being overly careless. The best term I have come across was in one of the many books on the mental side of golf in which the author described being in a state of "relaxed focus." You are not so pumped that you cannot relax and swing without excessive tension which is key to good ball striking, and you are not so overly laid back that you lose your focus or concentration.

Developing and sticking to a good pre-shot routine is of paramount importance! A large percentage of the shots you hit during practice should be made after your pre-shot routine. And you should frequently change targets and clubs so as to make practice more like playing situations. I would not advise copying Jim Furyk's routine because it takes too much time and some of it is very questionable. They got on Sergio for his 19 waggles, and it is time for someone to suggest that Jim speed things up a bit. But the main point is that a long routine probably builds up tension. Keep it brief and to the point, then trust your swing and just do it! Only the subconscious is fast enough to handle the mental or neural aspect of executing a golf shot. Practice, practice, and then trust your swing.

Most important is probably to think positively. The subconscious is similar to how a dog "thinks." Throw a stick, then say, "Fetch!" The dog fetches the stick. Throw the stick, then say, "Don't fetch!" The dog will still fetch the stick. If you play golf saying to yourself "Don't hit the ball into the water", you will often do just that. So pick a good target that avoids problem areas, and then tell yourselt, "Hit the ball to that spot." Such positive thinking along with shot visualization before each shot will lead to consistent play and lower scores.

Play smart golf. Do not be like the Old Phil that reappeared in the US Open recently. Play the higher percentage shots. If you get into trouble, get the ball back in play safely in one shot rather than trying to pull off miracle shots.

As I warned earlier, I tend to write too much. But all of this stuff can be of use. Finally, do not get mad at yourself and start calling yourself names and stuff. If someone called me the stuff I use to call myself, someone would have gotten hurt (most likely me!). Allow yourself mistakes, and above all, allow yourself to have fun. Both golf and life should have some fun in there somewhere.

A last, last thing. Beware that golf breeds PERFECTIONISM in us and that is horrible. Why? If you expect every shot to be perfect, you are doomed to failure. Now it becomes impossible to be confident, because no one has ever been perfect at golf. Even God could not hit the one iron, and even Jack only hit perfect one irons occasionally. Both Jack and Ben talked of a good ball striking round as having only three or four really good shots. And some of us mortals act as if every shot should be perfect!! Keep it real.

The best of luck to you with your game. Sincerely, Cypressperch

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
wow good stuff everyone. i think cypress hit it on the head on the section about perfectionism. i need to get off that train quickly.

thanks alot everyone, i'll be keeping everything in mind next time things get tense

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Breathing

Take deep breaths,regularly,particularly on the tee.I take one as part of my pre-shot routine just before I strike

P_102

Jun 7, 2005
Thinking of your score or possible score is #1. #2, to me, would be knowing when to concentrat and when not to....You cannot maintain 100% concentration at all times during a round. Between shots, on the way to your ball, etc..take time to enjoy the scenery, tell a joke to someone, etc....DO NOT try concentrating at this time. Your concentration should only be while you are assessing your shot and the actual shot itself. Doing this cuts actual concentration time from 4+ hours to 30-40+ minutes, much easier to do.

P_102

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
During practice rounds, let someone else keep your score.
Being aware that you are doing better than planned gets you into thinking bad thoughts.
If you are playing hole to hole you are just thinking par on each hole, not, if I birdie 1 of the last three holes I score the best round of my career.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.